It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

Taskute HB User
Unhappy Atonic Colon?! Is that what it really is?

Hi. I've had issues with severe constipation, twisting colons, and surgeries. I'll start at the beginning... It all started five years ago. It was the summer, I was 16 at the time. I collapsed at my home, in severe pain, gripping my stomach. I was rushed to the hospital. Had a colonoscopy. Was sent home 3 days later after relieving my constipation. The next year, I collapsed again twice. No leads on what was causing my pain and constipation. I do not use laxatives! They make me sick. The next year, collapsed a few more times. Was 18 at this time. It's been three years, but the pain was coming and going once every few months. The next year I was in college. This was one of my worst years. I collapsed on campus, a good 6 times. Each time taken to the hospital, which relieved my constipation, but never told me the overall the problem. This past year, I started vomiting and gripping my stomach in pain. Rushed to the hospital, I was told my colon was beginning to twist around my arteries that would of killed me if they did not do emergency surgery to remove the infected part. Something went wrong and after the first surgery, I had to get a temp. Ileostomy. 5 months later the ileostomy was reversed. HEre I am 7 weeks later. I was hospitalized again for the pain. And this time I went to a different hospital. They told me that I had an Atonic Colon, but they have no idea how I got it. And wouldn't give me any info about fixing it. I looked online about it, but there is very little information concerning this topic. I'm just curious. If anyone has any answers...please share. Also, once again, I do not take Laxatives of any kind. Please any information would be so helpful...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Atonic Colon?! Is that what it really is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskute View Post
Hi. I've had issues with severe constipation, twisting colons, and surgeries. I'll start at the beginning... It all started five years ago. It was the summer, I was 16 at the time. I collapsed at my home, in severe pain, gripping my stomach. I was rushed to the hospital. Had a colonoscopy. Was sent home 3 days later after relieving my constipation. The next year, I collapsed again twice. No leads on what was causing my pain and constipation. I do not use laxatives! They make me sick. The next year, collapsed a few more times. Was 18 at this time. It's been three years, but the pain was coming and going once every few months. The next year I was in college. This was one of my worst years. I collapsed on campus, a good 6 times. Each time taken to the hospital, which relieved my constipation, but never told me the overall the problem. This past year, I started vomiting and gripping my stomach in pain. Rushed to the hospital, I was told my colon was beginning to twist around my arteries that would of killed me if they did not do emergency surgery to remove the infected part. Something went wrong and after the first surgery, I had to get a temp. Ileostomy. 5 months later the ileostomy was reversed. HEre I am 7 weeks later. I was hospitalized again for the pain. And this time I went to a different hospital. They told me that I had an Atonic Colon, but they have no idea how I got it. And wouldn't give me any info about fixing it. I looked online about it, but there is very little information concerning this topic. I'm just curious. If anyone has any answers...please share. Also, once again, I do not take Laxatives of any kind. Please any information would be so helpful...
Atonic colon is a lack of muscle tone in the colon also known as lazy colon. I don't have atonic colon but have suffered from chronic constipation and IBS for years. In early March I was looking on the internet for natural remedies for constipation and found an article about bowel retraining for constipation. so I read on how to do this to try to find a way to treat constipation. It said to keep a two week journal on when and what time of day you have a bowel movements and also of what you eat and drink. Most people's bodies have natural rhythm of when they will move their bowels. Most people have a bowel movement after a large meal with some fat and a hot beverage and for most people this usually takes place after breakfast. This is because it causes the gastrocolic reflex to kick in(peristalsis) It suggests you eat a large breakfast with fat and fiber and a hot beverage and then 20-40 minutes after you finish eating peristalsis should kick in but if it doesn't go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes anyways to try to have a bowel movement. To help you and your body to relax you can read or listen to music,or slow deep breathing exercises. Even if you don't have a bowel movement within 30 minutes at first it gets your body use to the routine by doing this every day at the same time.I used glycerin suppositories the first two days of the bowel retraining program to soften the stool so I wouldn't strain or force the stool out. It's a really good idea to look at how much water you're drinking during the day and how much fiber you're taking in, It's highly recommended that you drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and to slowly add fiber to your diet daily intake to 25-35 grams. I have been doing the bowel retraining program since March 2,2011 and have had success with it. I no longer suffer from chronic constipation. The one thing that has helped me the most is doing slow deep breathing exercises while sitting on the toilet. I actually helps me to have a bowel movement quicker and without the pain from straining and forcing myself to push the stool out. If I don't stay with the daily routine of eating breakfast and sitting on the toilet at the same time every day then I end up paying for it by being constipated and straining to pass the large hard dry stool even after two days. Eating fiber and drinking water play a big roll in this working to keep your bowel movements soft but firm enough to be formed. I have have had lifelong problems with chronic constipation and other problems with my digestive system so for this bowel retraining program to work for me is nothing short of a miracle cure for me. I wish doctors would tell patients to do this instead of using harsh stimulant laxatives which in the long run are harmful.The stimulant laxatives harm the nerves and muscles in your colon not to work in peristalsis happening so then you no longer get the urge to have a bowel movement on your own without the laxatives. This called lazy colon or atonic colon. Our bodies are made to have a bowel movement without the use of laxatives. I also read that being chronically constipated can lead to colon cancer later in life because the stool stays in the colon too long and more and more toxins build up in the stool and colon. It needs to be moving out of the colon on a regular basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Taskute (07-14-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

OK, so you don't take laxatives, rightly so if you can avoid it.
I have Diverticulitis and suffer either D or C. I don't take laxatives either but I discovered a Natural product called (Ortis Fruit Cubes) available in your health shop or chemist, made from natural ingredients like Figs/Dates etc. They have never failed me yet.
Also drink plenty of fluids and try Prune juice as well.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Taskute (07-14-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

igloo123 HB User

I have been diagnosed with an atonic colon . I had several tests but I knew as it hadn't worked for a long time. I think it was due to a car accident where i was hit low down in the back but thats only my research. Anyway there is treatment I have been referred for physiotherapy and biofeedback studies. This is where they test and work out how to stimulate the nerves

"reroute them as there is no nerve signal going to the brain " thats the reason i was given .
hope you get sorted

The Following User Says Thank You to igloo123 For This Useful Post:
Taskute (07-27-2011)
Closed Thread