It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
(male)

paininthedupa HB User
Recovery from Hemorrhoid Surgery

First of all, BIG shout out to Desertdove and Mercurio -your posts about your recovery from surgery were incredibly helpful... just in calming my nerves AFTER surgery. I wish I had discovered your thread before my surgery!

I just had surgery 6 hours ago... and just found your posts. I wish I had found it prior to surgery. Mercurio - I went through a very similar agony from thrombosed 'roids for the past 5 days. INCREDIBLY painful. And was STILL fearful of the recovery from the surgery. I don't know which was worse, the pain or the the fear of the pain from the recovery.

After reading both of your accounts, I'm much relaxed! Thank you for your detailed descriptions of your diets... I'm planning on sticking to fruits and veggies with avocados (love), vegetable soup... and fruit smoothies. Oh, plus olive oil - which I absolutely love as well. Am still feeling good after the surgery since the drugs haven't completely worn off yet. Will be writing frequent updates here (as long as I'm up to it) over the next couple weeks. I hope more people find this and read these posts... and although I know how the pain will be over the next week, I'm SO RELIEVED to have those things out! Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

paininthedupa HB User
Re: Recovery from Hemorrhoid Surgery

OK. It's been 24 hours... and my pain has dropped! Yea!!!

I was in HUGE pain prior to surgery. Like 10+ for about 48 hours straight. It was horrible. After the surgery, after the drugs wore off, the pain came back, but it was more of a pressure pain, different from the thrombosed hemorrhoid sharp pain I had prior to the surgery.

Post surgery pain was pretty bad starting about 3 hours post surgery through 14 hours post surgery. During this time, I was taking Roxicet 5-325 every 4 hours and 600mg ibuprofin every 4 hours so I was getting a pain killer every 2 hours. "Pain killer" is a misnomer... they really didn't do ANYTHING, but I took them none-the-less.

The pain in my anus was steady and constant... and about 4 hours after surgery I felt like I had to poop. I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom (standing mostly, but sitting when I thought it was imminent), but nothing came. Called the doctor, because the pressure was pretty intense down there. She said that the feeling was coming from all my muscles being in spasm... and the best thing to do is to get them to relax.

So I got in the bathtub. Took a 60 minute bath. While this felt great, it also screwed up my body temp... I was shivering when I got out and had to get back in with hot water to get warmed up. After the bath, I still had the pain (10) and the feeling like I had to poop... and I was getting cold sweats while warming up. I got into bed, under the covers, and low and behold, fell asleep. It was only for about 45 min, but that was great considering I hadn't slept in 24 hours. From midnight until about 4am, I got about 3 hours of sleep (waking up every hour or so to go pee).

At 4am, I was up... and I noticed that the pain had dropped. It was now at about an 8!! Now, this was ONLY when I was not moving around, laying in bed. Still very difficult moving around (painful). By 9am (18 hours after surgery), I actually forgot to take my pain pills while lying in bed! So I'm in a great deal MORE comfort (the most I've been in in about 6 days). Walking and peeing is still painful. And I'm quite anxious about the next hurdle... pooping.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-14-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
(male)

paininthedupa HB User

Yea! First poop! 24 hours post surgery. I was totally nervous about it... thinking it was going to be horrible. I've also been taking Colase - 2 in the morning and 2 at night, and a packet of Miralax every day to keep my stools soft. I haven't pooped in 2 days, and this first post-surgery poop was amazingly easy - and soft! It was more like diarrhea.

The poop itself - 3 'blasts'. Then I got in the bathtub, and had another poop in there. Gross... but didn't really care. The only pain came from burning in my anus.

Am trying a new stool softener/laxative today - called Kondremul. I'm taking that instead of the Miralax. We'll see how that does with my poop tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
(male)

paininthedupa HB User

Well... had a bit of a setback yesterday after my first bowel movement in terms of pain. Was feeling really good - surprisingly good - yesterday afternoon. Pain, at least while laying in bed in one position, was very low and it felt almost too good to be true. Ha... it was.

About 4pm I started getting pressure pain down in the anal area... this gradually got worse to the point where I really couldn't move at all in bed without pain (even with painkillers). Ate a small dinner - a small salad (lettuce, cooked green beans, red onions, olives, chicken w/ balsalmic vinnegrette), a baked sweet potato and a little bit of cooked spinach. This isn't much food for me, but I sort of lost my appetite with the pain and inability to move.

Laid in bed until 10pm when I took 2 Roxicet... then turned the lights off to try to sleep. Next thing I knew it was 12:45am... and I took 3 ibuprofin (moving as little as possible). Went back to sleep... and woke up at 5:15am!! Wow! 4 1/2 hours of unbroken sleep! Best night of sleep since Friday last week. When i woke up I was drenched in sweat and my hips hurt... I basically hadn't moved at all all night, laying on my right side, frozen in place.

When i got up I immediately took 2 Roxicets, went to the bathroom and got right back into bed. Feeling pretty good this morning (but I don't want to jinx it!)

Closed Thread