It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
trouble pooping :(

For about 2-3 weeks now I've been so backed up. I've only pooped maybe 3-4 times. And when I do, I don't really get much out. I eat plenty of fiber (fruits, veggies, wholegrain). I only eat poultry and fish- I exercise. But now I'm so bloated I'm starting to feel sick. My tummy is 3-4 times its normal size because I'm filled with you know what! I've taken a stool softener plus laxative twice. The first time helped a little. And the second time over 24 hours passed and no relief. I have terrible gas as well. A lot of it and it smells disgusting. My problem is I don't have the urge to poop. But I've tried sitting on the toilet anyway...still nothing. How can I get relief?

 
Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,167
solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

See your DR, any change in Bowel Movements should be investigated.
Your diet sounds O.K, are you drinking plenty of fluids.
You should not have to strain to defecate, you have a problem that should be seen by a Dr, It's possible you will require a Colonoscopy to see why this is happening.
In the meantime try some Fresh/Dried Figs and Prune Juice. Do see your Dr and let us know how you get on. Solofelix.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flipfleury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose,Ca USA
Posts: 707
flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For about 2-3 weeks now I've been so backed up. I've only pooped maybe 3-4 times. And when I do, I don't really get much out. I eat plenty of fiber (fruits, veggies, wholegrain). I only eat poultry and fish- I exercise. But now I'm so bloated I'm starting to feel sick. My tummy is 3-4 times its normal size because I'm filled with you know what! I've taken a stool softener plus laxative twice. The first time helped a little. And the second time over 24 hours passed and no relief. I have terrible gas as well. A lot of it and it smells disgusting. My problem is I don't have the urge to poop. But I've tried sitting on the toilet anyway...still nothing. How can I get relief?
Try increasing your water intake to 64 oz. a day. To help soften the stool already sitting in the rectum that is pretty hard and dried out use a glycerin suppository. This can take up to 1 hour to work or as little as 20 minutes. use a lot of vaseline round the anus to help the dry stool to come out easier and keep that area from becoming red and irritated . If this doesn't work you can try an oil based enema. Try taking a brisk walk for 30 minutes after eating a meal as the helps to kick in peristalsis and then go home and sit on the toilet. Use slow deep breathing exercises instead of straining and forcing stool out. Take 10 slow deep breaths and then on the 11 slow deep breath hold it to the count of 15 and then release it slowly and repeat this 3-4 times in a row until you have a bowel movement.

 
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
See your DR, any change in Bowel Movements should be investigated.
Your diet sounds O.K, are you drinking plenty of fluids.
You should not have to strain to defecate, you have a problem that should be seen by a Dr, It's possible you will require a Colonoscopy to see why this is happening.
In the meantime try some Fresh/Dried Figs and Prune Juice. Do see your Dr and let us know how you get on. Solofelix.
My doctor is not available until next week ...I called to make an appointment last week but they didn't have any openings until 2 weeks later. So I will go next week...or I may go to the emergency room if I can't make it til then. And I tried the prune juice...It just made me even more gassy and now I feel even more bloated.

 
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Try increasing your water intake to 64 oz. a day. To help soften the stool already sitting in the rectum that is pretty hard and dried out use a glycerin suppository. This can take up to 1 hour to work or as little as 20 minutes. use a lot of vaseline round the anus to help the dry stool to come out easier and keep that area from becoming red and irritated . If this doesn't work you can try an oil based enema. Try taking a brisk walk for 30 minutes after eating a meal as the helps to kick in peristalsis and then go home and sit on the toilet. Use slow deep breathing exercises instead of straining and forcing stool out. Take 10 slow deep breaths and then on the 11 slow deep breath hold it to the count of 15 and then release it slowly and repeat this 3-4 times in a row until you have a bowel movement.
I'm already drinking 64+ oz of water a day. Actually I think it's a lot more than that. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. What is confusing me is I don't have the urge to "go" at all...I get a little gas every now and then. But there is no urge...I just feel and look really bloated. I don't want to set myself up but I think it may be a problem with my intestines...anyway I've taken a stronger laxative. If that doesn't help, I'm going to the E.R.

 
Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,167
solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

I'm not so sure about all this water drinking.
I read a report just recently by a Dr in the U.K who said we do not need such an amount of water in fact they are finding it presenting problems of its own.
I have never drank much water, perhaps 2-3 glasses per day and 3 cups normal tea and 3-4 cups Herbal Tea in a day and that's my limit.
Other fluids come from fruit & veg. So its possible that you are consuming too much water. Solofelix.

 
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

I'm just so thirsty all the time! But I will try to decrease my intake...maybe.

I had a little relief from the laxative. But about 4 hours passed (2 meals later), I felt just as bloated as I was last night. So, I'm not sure what's wrong with me. :/

 
Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 8
Enhance19 HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

I would recommend taking a visit to the doctor. I myself have been having similar issues for the last few weeks. Just recently, I've been very bloated and only poop once every 2-3 days. When I do poop, I don't really feel the urge to. I have to sit on the toilet because the bloating in my stomach gets to be a little painful. Eventually I'm able to poop, but it comes out in pieces and eventually becomes very watery and smells bad.

I've just made changes to my diet (increased fiber, more water, eating more vegetables, etc.) but I'm still going to try and see my doctor next week if symptoms don't improve.

I'm beginning to think, however, that my symptoms are are a result of an antibiotic I'm on for acne called Minocycline. I started it one month ago and have had bowel issues for the last three weeks.

 
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,737
noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Hi, there's an OTC med you can get Miralax you make have to take it a few days in a row, works really well. Also, try drinking two full glasses of water first thing in the am before eating/drinking anything else, that works sometimes too. I'd increase the stool softner too until this passes so you don't end up w/ other problems.

 
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

@ Enhance19: I will go to the doctor next week. Hope I can make it til then. Maybe I will just sit until my legs go numb, lol. I wish you relief and luck!

@no34evr: I am taking an otc now, Senokot...I looked at some other laxatives and stool softeners...most of them have the same active ingredients. I will try drinking water before I eat.

 
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,167
solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Enhance,
Antibiotics can play havoc with your Stomach which would in turn effect your Bowel.
Anyone taking a course of them should take Probiotics when they finish the course.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

 
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: decatur, indiana
Posts: 23
zerocrossing HB User
Re: trouble pooping :(

Update!: I took the laxative/stool softener as needed for about a week. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go without the laxative. But I've sort of weaned myself off and now I'm going on my own again. My system just needed that extra push! Thanks for all the support and advice.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to zerocrossing:
noevr (08-01-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom, London
Posts: 2
Shenika98 HB User
Thumbs up Re: trouble pooping :(

Hey there, i know exactly how u feel coz i was in the same situation last year. i also had to miss school for 2 days coz of it. u sed u took laxatives twice?? i did it once and it helped me. have u tried warm water???, it helped reduce the pain and helps u to push. after u've done all these, then sit on the toilet, hold ur mum/dad's hand and begin pushing. and it will eventually come out and u will be comfortable like u used to be. next time, watch urself and prevent this from happening again. be sure to take deep breaths in the middle. (that's if u pause).
hope this helped! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I am pooping right after I eat what I ate??? Denisestasiuk Bowel Disorders 9 07-20-2011 09:59 PM
Problems pooping... Sparky170179 Bowel Disorders 1 04-25-2011 08:03 PM
Sharp lower abdominal pain and vicious case of the scutters - Am I in trouble? DrFishNips Bowel Disorders 8 06-30-2009 09:26 AM
Trouble with BM patti1961 Bowel Disorders 1 12-13-2007 02:10 PM
pooping blood lisa 19 Bowel Disorders 0 10-07-2007 02:28 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



flipfleury (33), solofelix (27), Babygirl43 (19), rufous57 (19), ladybud (16), quincy (15), sonray (15), TacomaGuy (14), sjb (13), Tweetums (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (857), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!