It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

Correctusage HB User
Talking There Is An Alien In My Stomach...

Hey there! I'm looking for thoughts, related experiences, and suggestions regarding my current ailment. It's really beginning to annoy me... Here's my story:

2 years ago, I was pretty sick for about a week with (what I thought was) the flu. My symptoms improved after a couple weeks, and I thought I was back to my normal self 2 weeks later. However, I went out to eat with my boyfriend for Valentines Day and while at the restaurant, my stomach was churning. I'd always had a very gurgly stomach, but this was not right. I NEVER had a BM any time other than in the morning after coffee, so this was odd for me. I ended up 'going' once at the restaurant, then upon arriving home I pretty much ran for the bathroom. That was the beginning of my chronic diarrhea.

I have not gone one day where I haven't been afflicted with this since. I try in vain to supplement with natural things that will fix or help the issue, and it works to a degree. Soluble Fiber does bulk things up, but it doesn't stop the feelings of urgency, the occasional pressure on the anus, the odd feelings in that area, the constant loud gurgling, the burning in my intestines, the need for 4 BMs a day, the postprandial outbursts, and on occasion, the liquid diarrhea still manages to outdo all the supplements and makes fiber look like an amature. Immodium doesn't do diddly on those days, either.

A year or so after this all started, the stool took on an orange tint. It became paler brown with orange. NOT oily. NO pain. NO blood. Just an orange cast, fiber or not. Oh, and no vitamin A, no carrots, no sweet potatoes, etc. About 3 months ago, the orange started to become yellowish. Today, the stools are light brown with a yellow hue and when the fiber is working, the stool is narrow. It's as if I can feel inflamation throughout my colon.

I've experienced stomach burning since I was a child. Last night it was excessively 'burny' and then this morning, after all my supplements and meds, after an initial narrow yellowish orangy fiber-firmed BM, and after eating a portion of a bowl of oatmeal, I experienced an urgent pure yellow liquid (with a few fluffs) blast of diarrhea. No burning, no pain. Just rumbles and then me pushing my schnauzer out of the way with my foot so I could run by her. She still doesn't understand what happened.

I have gone on a gluten free diet twice for a month each time. The 1st time it didn't help at all. Second time, it helped for about 4 days and then I had a horrible, day long episode. I know that sorbitol, xylitol, and all the other 'tols' almost intantly cause runs, so I haven't consumed those in a year or more. I only eat foods I cook from scratch so I can avoid preservatives. No fruit, no raw veggies, I rarely eat dairy, I don't eat tomatos. I've cut down on sugar, eat low fat... and yet this persists. I consumed diatomaceous earth for a couple months in case of parasites, with no luck.

Been to 3 docs, a gastro, and all seemed to gleefully chime "IBS! Tee Hee!" immediately when I said 'diarrhea.' Had blood and stool several times, all good. Gastro refused to perform more invasive tests since I have no pain or bleeding. My mom and her father had their gallbladders removed before the age of 30. Mentioned this to all doctors and they think I'm silly and cute and more than likely insane and over stressed. Yet I am very mellow and don't work anymore......

I realize this is long - I wanted to ensure everyone that I have tried every remedy I've come across in forums, etc. If you can think of anything I've missed, or if my symptoms match yours and you have a diagnosis, please tell us about it! I would be greatful as I feel the next time I see the doc, I will be explaining my diagnosis to HIM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
(female)

forkicks HB User
Re: There Is An Alien In My Stomach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correctusage View Post
Hey there! I'm looking for thoughts, related experiences, and suggestions regarding my current ailment. It's really beginning to annoy me... Here's my story:

2 years ago, I was pretty sick for about a week with (what I thought was) the flu. My symptoms improved after a couple weeks, and I thought I was back to my normal self 2 weeks later. However, I went out to eat with my boyfriend for Valentines Day and while at the restaurant, my stomach was churning. I'd always had a very gurgly stomach, but this was not right. I NEVER had a BM any time other than in the morning after coffee, so this was odd for me. I ended up 'going' once at the restaurant, then upon arriving home I pretty much ran for the bathroom. That was the beginning of my chronic diarrhea.

I have not gone one day where I haven't been afflicted with this since. I try in vain to supplement with natural things that will fix or help the issue, and it works to a degree. Soluble Fiber does bulk things up, but it doesn't stop the feelings of urgency, the occasional pressure on the anus, the odd feelings in that area, the constant loud gurgling, the burning in my intestines, the need for 4 BMs a day, the postprandial outbursts, and on occasion, the liquid diarrhea still manages to outdo all the supplements and makes fiber look like an amature. Immodium doesn't do diddly on those days, either.

A year or so after this all started, the stool took on an orange tint. It became paler brown with orange. NOT oily. NO pain. NO blood. Just an orange cast, fiber or not. Oh, and no vitamin A, no carrots, no sweet potatoes, etc. About 3 months ago, the orange started to become yellowish. Today, the stools are light brown with a yellow hue and when the fiber is working, the stool is narrow. It's as if I can feel inflamation throughout my colon.

I've experienced stomach burning since I was a child. Last night it was excessively 'burny' and then this morning, after all my supplements and meds, after an initial narrow yellowish orangy fiber-firmed BM, and after eating a portion of a bowl of oatmeal, I experienced an urgent pure yellow liquid (with a few fluffs) blast of diarrhea. No burning, no pain. Just rumbles and then me pushing my schnauzer out of the way with my foot so I could run by her. She still doesn't understand what happened.

I have gone on a gluten free diet twice for a month each time. The 1st time it didn't help at all. Second time, it helped for about 4 days and then I had a horrible, day long episode. I know that sorbitol, xylitol, and all the other 'tols' almost intantly cause runs, so I haven't consumed those in a year or more. I only eat foods I cook from scratch so I can avoid preservatives. No fruit, no raw veggies, I rarely eat dairy, I don't eat tomatos. I've cut down on sugar, eat low fat... and yet this persists. I consumed diatomaceous earth for a couple months in case of parasites, with no luck.

Been to 3 docs, a gastro, and all seemed to gleefully chime "IBS! Tee Hee!" immediately when I said 'diarrhea.' Had blood and stool several times, all good. Gastro refused to perform more invasive tests since I have no pain or bleeding. My mom and her father had their gallbladders removed before the age of 30. Mentioned this to all doctors and they think I'm silly and cute and more than likely insane and over stressed. Yet I am very mellow and don't work anymore......

I realize this is long - I wanted to ensure everyone that I have tried every remedy I've come across in forums, etc. If you can think of anything I've missed, or if my symptoms match yours and you have a diagnosis, please tell us about it! I would be greatful as I feel the next time I see the doc, I will be explaining my diagnosis to HIM.
Hello.. I have been having the same problems.. and it started a year ago (last August).. yellowish stools, and noone seems to worried.. I live in Canada.. so not sure if testing is different. When this all started, i thought I had an infection in my intestines (at that time I also had burning in my stomach along with the totally changed stools than what i was use to).. Anyway, this started the many many doctor visits.. i have had so much blood work as i keep thinking maybe its my liver, but blood work shows perfect.. Had a colonoscopy and then a endonoscopy.. all good. then a Barium Xray and then the one where you drink this white liquid and they xray you and see how fast it get to your colon. Well, mine took like a 1/2 .. and still noone seems concerned. To this day, I haven't had a brownish stool.. and I do panic alot at that, but what else can I do. Like I said, I am 45 famale,.. so i am thinking its perimenopause stuff... they say its hard on the liver (though my blood work and CT scan all show ok)... and so maybe (in my head) that is why I get the non brown stool.. Sorry to hear what you are going through.. I also been told that its IBS.. but they tell that to everyone I figure .. How old are you by the way?.. I have a hard time living my life without fear because of this. We have lots of cancer in my family, which make me even more paranoid. Anyway, after reading ur message i had to reply.. as I feel the same way.. I figure its been a year for me, and I am still alive in kicking..ha.. so I guess it cannot be too serious.. yet anyway. See, there I am being a hypocondriac.. I see you just posted ur message last month.. so how are you feeling today?..

Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
(female)

Correctusage HB User
Lightbulb Re: There Is An Alien In My Stomach...

Hey there, I had no idea anyone replied to my original post, thus this late response. I turned 29 last month, and have been having these bowel issues since I turned 27.

I am still suffering today, though with all my desperate grasps at trying to control the 'D' symptom, I am able to keep it a toothpaste consistency (as opposed to pure liquid) MOST of the time.

One thing I only recently tried was an enzyme + Betaine HCL supplement. I had tried enzymes by themselves before with no help, but the HCL seems to be beneficial. I was curious about my stomach acid issues, and I suspect one of my issues is LOW stomach acid. The HCL is hydrochloric acid that supplements my lack of it each time I eat, and since I started taking the pills (from a healthfood store) 4 days ago, my stool has become darker and I've gone only once a day and it's somewhat firm. Far far farrrr from my old normal, though. I don't get the obnoxious gurgling directly after eating when I use the HCL and my stomach feels calmer than it has in years. However, I still feel like I'm full of crap in my colon all day pretty much, which is annoying.

I decided to be brave and go to eat at a restaurant (yes, a RESTAURANT!!) with my boyfriend last week, and despite premedicating with Imodium, I made him pull over to a healthfood store about 1 minute after we left the restaurant so I could use the restroom. That's when and where I got the enzymes/HCL. Oh how lovely my boyfriend must think I am. It's a humiliating lifestyle.

forkicks - Have your symptoms improved/changed at all? Tried anything new lately?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

forkicks HB User

Hello.. Sorry, I meant to reply back to you alot sooner. How are you feeling since your reply?.. sorry to get so personal, but as Dr Oz says.. you can tell alot with your stool.. .. I still have pale/yellowish (when wiping too) stool. Its been over a year now, that I have had a dark normal stool. I just keep thinking its something with being 45 female, and perhaps my hormones, being perimenopausal have something to do with the bowel changes. I don't know what else to do, since all the doctors I saw awhile back dont' have a answer, and I did do the endonoscopy/colonoscopy, tons of blood work. Also, maybe its IBS.. I don't go daily, so can't say that the food is goign throguh me fast,.. Anyway.. I still worry and wonder why my body has changed in the past 14 months.. If it was my liver, .. wouldn't the blood work/CT show that? If it was gallblads, same thing, plus.. wouldn't I feel some pain there? Oh well, its the new normal I guess. I have had 3 loved ones get cancer, so of course I cannot help to think this is some symptom of that, and down the road will find out.. Scary way to live life, but I once was healthy so this scares me. I take supplements, try to eat bran, fruit.. yadda yada.. stool is the same. Hey, thanks for listening. I hope this message finds you feeling better?.. I am not a fan of the health care here in Manitoba.. but what else can one do .. I will try to be positve.. .. Cheers

Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
(female)

Correctusage HB User

Hi forkicks - I am feeling better SOMEtimes lately. I went on a trip to CA a couple weeks ago, took my lomotil and HCL enzymes religiously and still mysteriously one night in my hotel room (that I was sharing!!) I was up 3 times having complete watery D in the bathroom. I have no clue why it happened. I didn't eat anything weird, I wasn't stressed. After the 3 empty-outs, my stomach seemed to improve to a 'normal' state. So maybe it was something I ate and just needed to get it out of my body. However, I only ate things I normally eat with no problem.. and I had taken the preventative meds.

So my first colonoscopy is tomorrow morning. I am at the end of my prep right now as I type. I hope it's the end, anyway. It has been miserable for me. Even though I know it would be best if they don't find anything during the exam, I sort of wish they would so we could begin treating something real instead of guessing and guessing and guessing.

Oh, and I'm noticing my normal stool color kind of matches this yellow bile color coming out of me right now.. so maybe that means something. I begged my doc to prescribe a bile acid binder and it didn't help at all and made my stomach more tulmultuous so I stopped it. Ho hum.

My guesses at this point are liver, pancrease, or bile duct obstruction. Or a horrible disease. Hope not.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
(female)

forkicks HB User

Hello.. so how did the test go the other day? I had a colonoscpy like 5 months ago.. Gastr guy just wrote on a piece of paper while I was recovering in the hospital, "normal scope".. So, I guess everything had gone fine.. Health care here in Winnipeg, well it kind of sucks at times.
I hated the prep prior also.. Dad has colon cancer, so I am one of the lucky ones (sarcasm..ha..) who has to have this test repeated every 5 years.. yuck.. No change with me.. just same anxiety over my digestive system changing .. Will go get a ultrasound done in the new year to check on a cyst on my ovary.. The gyno didn't seem concerned at all.. hmmm.
Hope your day is going well.. just wanted to say hello an see how it all went.. cheers

Closed Thread