It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

silverremedy HB User
Unhappy Terrible flatulence at night

Hello,

I have been having chronic, terribly smelly flatulence every single night for months. I have seen doctors and they don't know what is wrong with me. They say I may have IBS.

However, I don't really have any other symptoms. I just have this terrible, smelly gas. It is making it difficult for my boyfriend to live with as we share a bedroom. I do not have it during the day, only in the evening several hours after my last meal. It lasts all night until the next morning when it is gone again.

I have tried eliminating dairy to no effect, had blood tests to rule out gluten intolerance, and cannot seem to isolate any one food that is causing it! But what is strange is that sometimes for weeks at a time I have no problems at all. I can't tell if it is correlated with stress either because I have not had problems when under a good deal of stress and then had problems when not under too much stress.

Does anyone know what could be causing this or how I could treat it?

I am very frustrated with it. I can't take charcoal pills as I am on birth control and I heard it can interfere. I have taken probiotics but haven't noticed anything. Should I take them for longer?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, as would any other experiences with the same thing.

-Nicole

Old 07-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Terrible flatulence at night

Hi, I have the same but with me it can be anytime eating or not eating. On the nights you do get this problem can you possibly be eating the same thing that triggers it off.
You could try (Domperidone) after your last meal and see if it helps. Also don't eat three hours before bed and avoid Alcohol and drinks containing caffeine.
Hope this helps and Good Luck, Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi, I have the same but with me it can be anytime eating or not eating. On the nights you do get this problem can you possibly be eating the same thing that triggers it off.
You could try (Domperidone) after your last meal and see if it helps. Also don't eat three hours before bed and avoid Alcohol and drinks containing caffeine.
Hope this helps and Good Luck, Solofelix.

PS, I take Probiotics and they do nothing for this!!..

Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

silverremedy HB User

Thanks for the info. Have you had luck with Domperidone before?

I do notice that alcohol seems to act as a trigger, as does eating any time near bedtime. The morning and afternoon is fine though, it is only at dinner that I have this problem.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverremedy View Post
Thanks for the info. Have you had luck with Domperidone before?

I do notice that alcohol seems to act as a trigger, as does eating any time near bedtime. The morning and afternoon is fine though, it is only at dinner that I have this problem.

I have AR/GERD and a Hiatal Hernia and I find DOMPERIDONE helps
with Nausea, it also helps in moving your food along
so it dosent lie in one place too long!!.. Solofelix.

Closed Thread