It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

Shayvoe HB User
Horrible pain after fissurectomy!!

I have had a fissure for 6 years, and was treated with nitro cream in the beginning, and thought it was healed. After several months, the pain came back, and I have dealt with it now off and on for 6 years. I was able to manage the pain up until last week, when it got so bad, I had to take pain pills 24/7. Went to the CRS last Monday, and he said it was chronic and had formed scar tissue, and I needed surgery which was scheduled for the next day because I was in so much pain. He said he would not do the LIS on me because I was a woman, and he doesn't like to do those because of incontinence in women. The surgery went great, he removed the fissure, scar tissue, tags, and a hemorrhoid I didn't know I had. I had a spinal, and heavy valium, and didn't feel a thing. He also said he put some numbing medication in there, that would last for hours. I felt great that night, and wondered why I hadn't had the surgery years before, but the next morning, I thought I had died and gone to HELL!!. The pain pills did not even thouch the pain. I am now 5 days post surgery and I am still in MIS-ER-RY!! PLEASE, can anyone tell me how long recovery will be, and when will I be pain free? Had I known this, I would not have had this surgery!!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
(male)

Sempai62 HB User
Re: Horrible pain after fissurectomy!!

Hi Shayvoe

I'm in pain too and have been for the last 8 or 9 months. I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your question. I'm considering the surgery and have been doing research online. Your post is one that worries me. I've read several posts and yours is the only one so far who wishes they didn't have it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

Shayvoe HB User

Hi Sempai,

I have read that if you have the LIS surgery only, the relief is immediate. I had a fissurectomy, where they actually cut out the the fissure. With the LIS surgery, they make a cut on the opposite side of the fissure which allows the fissure to heal. I have heard that the healing time and pain is much less for that surgery. Had I not waited so long, and allowed all the scar tissue and tags to form, I would probably not be in the shape I am in right now. My surgery was much more extensive than the LIS, and I wish I had elected to have the surgery before I let it get so bad. I will say, that if you have had your fissure for 9 months, it is considered chronic, and is not going to heal without surgery. Don't make the mistake I made, and wait too long. I wish I had done the surgery years ago, and I probably would not be going through this now.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
(male)

Sempai62 HB User

I'm guessing you're not a surgeon, but it's beyond me how making a cut can relieve another cut. Another thing that concerns me is the pain management. It sounds as though the meds prescribed for your pain isn't nearly enough. Are they resistant to "up-ing" your meds?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

Shayvoe HB User

The premise of making the cut, is they cut the sphincter muscle, which allows the sphincter to relax and the fissure to heal. It works 90% of the time, which are good odds. The only down side to that surgery is that if they cut the muscle too much, it can cause incontinence, which is why my CRS, does not like to do it on woman, because they have a higher likelihood of becoming incontinent with the LIS surgery. At any rate, finding the best colorectal surgeon you can is key. Mine is considered the best in my city. As far a the pain, it is a catch 22. They told me I could double up on the meds, but the more pain medicine you take, the more constipated you can become. I am trying to bear it as much as possible, but sometimes I just can't take it, and do take 2 pills at once, which does help.

Last edited by Shayvoe; 08-29-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
(male)

Sempai62 HB User

I didn't realize pain meds caused constipation. What kind of post operative meds were prescribed? My doc prescribed a nitroglycerin and Lidocaine cream. It doesn't seem to do much. The Lidocaine was suppose to ease the pain but doesn't seem to work at all. In fact, sometimes I feel worse after an application.

If you don't mind, keep me posted on your day-to-day pain and healing. As weird as it sounds, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
(male)

Sempai62 HB User

What kind of meds did they prescribe?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

Shayvoe HB User

I have to take 2 Dulcolax every day (laxative), 6 Metamucile capsules, (fiber), 3 Surfax (stool softener), a Valium every 8 hours to keep everything relaxed, and to keep the spasms at a minimum, an antibiotic 3 x day. Oxycodone every 6 hours, and I can take 3 Advil in between the Oxycodone. I can also double up on the pain meds if I need too, but I am trying not to do that because of the constipation pain meds cause. I think that's about it . I will post an update as I feel better.....praying

Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
(male)

MyBodyHatesMe HB User

I had LIS and Fissurectomy 12 months ago and still get discomfort occasionally, initially though I went through hell post-operatively which lasted for about 8 months, some days the pain was so bad I just wanted to cry, right after the op I felt nothing but once night time came the pain started and never went away, at one point I thought I'd have to go to A&E because I thought something was seriously wrong, fortunately it eased enough for me to cope but still the nagging pain lasted for 8 months or so, it's only now that I get slight twinges in the rectum and a bit of discomfort after a dodgy BM, other than that it's taken the best part of a year to get to this and by the looks of things, this is as good as it gets, looking back I wish my CRS would of only performed LIS since the Fissurectomy is the main culprit for all the post-op pain.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
(male)

Sempai62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRectumHatesMe View Post
I had LIS and Fissurectomy 12 months ago and still get discomfort occasionally, initially though I went through hell post-operatively which lasted for about 8 months, some days the pain was so bad I just wanted to cry, right after the op I felt nothing but once night time came the pain started and never went away, at one point I thought I'd have to go to A&E because I thought something was seriously wrong, fortunately it eased enough for me to cope but still the nagging pain lasted for 8 months or so, it's only now that I get slight twinges in the rectum and a bit of discomfort after a dodgy BM, other than that it's taken the best part of a year to get to this and by the looks of things, this is as good as it gets, looking back I wish my CRS would of only performed LIS since the Fissurectomy is the main culprit for all the post-op pain.
Sounds like you were butchered. It's demoralizing to think it's possible, maybe probable, that we'll be living with this for the remainder of our lives.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
(female)

Shayvoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRectumHatesMe View Post
First....let me say, I love your screen name, and it made me chuckle, something I sorely, (no pun intended) needed.

I had a major set back last night. I was feeling pretty good yesterday, took all my meds and went to bed. I was sleeping soundly, when I awoke with a pain that felt like I had been shot in the butt. I got up, walked to the kitchen, and by the time I got to the kitchen, the pain was so intense I was screaming. My husband was out on the deck smoking a cigar, heard me, and came in. He wanted to look at my butt, and when I took my pj bottoms down, blood was everywhere, running down my legs, and bright red. It looked like I was hemorrhaging, and I freaked. This was 11:00 at night, and my hubs called my doc. It took him an hour to call back, and by then the bleeding had subsided a little. The doc said to come in first thing in the morning, that he would be doing surgery, but as soon as he was done he would see me. Went in this morning, and he said it looked like it was trying to form an abscess, so back to the operating room I went, and he loosed the stitches, so it could drain better, and he also lanced something or another....don't remember what he said now.

I actually feel better now, no pain since this morning, no bleeding, and it is not as swollen. Of course, I am not looking forward to tomorrow's BM. It was one week ago today that I had the first surgery and it has been the week from hell. I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy, and I have a very high tolerance for pain. I have had several surgeries in my life, and kidney stones 3 times, which is the most pain I have ever felt, but NOTHING has compared to this. Praying I am on the road to recovery.

The following user gives a hug of support to Shayvoe:
MyBodyHatesMe (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
(male)

Sempai62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayvoe View Post
First....let me say, I love your screen name, and it made me chuckle, something I sorely, (no pun intended) needed.

I had a major set back last night. I was feeling pretty good yesterday, took all my meds and went to bed. I was sleeping soundly, when I awoke with a pain that felt like I had been shot in the butt. I got up, walked to the kitchen, and by the time I got to the kitchen, the pain was so intense I was screaming. My husband was out on the deck smoking a cigar, heard me, and came in. He wanted to look at my butt, and when I took my pj bottoms down, blood was everywhere, running down my legs, and bright red. It looked like I was hemorrhaging, and I freaked. This was 11:00 at night, and my hubs called my doc. It took him an hour to call back, and by then the bleeding had subsided a little. The doc said to come in first thing in the morning, that he would be doing surgery, but as soon as he was done he would see me. Went in this morning, and he said it looked like it was trying to form an abscess, so back to the operating room I went, and he loosed the stitches, so it could drain better, and he also lanced something or another....don't remember what he said now.

I actually feel better now, no pain since this morning, no bleeding, and it is not as swollen. Of course, I am not looking forward to tomorrow's BM. It was one week ago today that I had the first surgery and it has been the week from hell. I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy, and I have a very high tolerance for pain. I have had several surgeries in my life, and kidney stones 3 times, which is the most pain I have ever felt, but NOTHING has compared to this. Praying I am on the road to recovery.
Oh my goodness! Bless your heart Shayvoe. I pray your suffering ends with this last treatment. I was a little better today myself, however it's only because I've been eating food that's mostly liquid or light, like pudding, soup, ice cream and such. If I ate normal food I'm sure I'd rip myself apart again.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
(female)

Shayvoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempai62 View Post
Oh my goodness! Bless your heart Shayvoe. I pray your suffering ends with this last treatment. I was a little better today myself, however it's only because I've been eating food that's mostly liquid or light, like pudding, soup, ice cream and such. If I ate normal food I'm sure I'd rip myself apart again.
Thank you Sempai! I'm glad you are doing better too. {Hugs}!

Last edited by Shayvoe; 08-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Closed Thread