It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #31
(female)

Bum revision HB User
Re: Anal sphincter repair

ang4,

What is pain infusion? I don't think I have heard of that, but then my specialty is NICU.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum revision View Post
ang4,

What is pain infusion? I don't think I have heard of that, but then my specialty is NICU.
ang4, bum revision the infusion is a iv into your arm when all tablets have failed to work as they all made me dizzy, sleepy it takes 2/3 hrs will be bring my ipod for sure what is NICU?? how are you anyway?? lets hope it helps my pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #33
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang4 View Post
ang4, bum revision the infusion is a iv into your arm when all tablets have failed to work as they all made me dizzy, sleepy it takes 2/3 hrs will be bring my ipod for sure what is NICU?? how are you anyway?? lets hope it helps my pain.
ang4,

NICU is Neonatal Intensive Care. It is where the premature babies are, and also babies who have complications or are sick at birth. I love my job.

I am doing awesome. I have never had any pain, and i am going stir-crazy having to stay in, I have been baking and cooking. Wednesday, when it is a couple of my friends day off work, we are going walking around the lake or another pretty area. I am used to exercising everyday, and this taking it easy business is not for me. It will be my 8th post op day, so I should be fine.

I still have diarrhea, but the funny thing is, it his about the same time everyday, maybe 3x within 2 hrs and then it's done. I cut out my morning cup of coffee, b/c that is a colon stimulant. The other culprit could be the antibiotic they have me on to keep me from getting infection. That kills the good bacteria in your colon too. I will be done with that after Thursday's dose.

Hope your pain infusion helps. Are you sure you don't want to get this done now before the holidays so you won't have to live with pain every day.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum revision View Post
ang4,

NICU is Neonatal Intensive Care. It is where the premature babies are, and also babies who have complications or are sick at birth. I love my job.

I am doing awesome. I have never had any pain, and i am going stir-crazy having to stay in, I have been baking and cooking. Wednesday, when it is a couple of my friends day off work, we are going walking around the lake or another pretty area. I am used to exercising everyday, and this taking it easy business is not for me. It will be my 8th post op day, so I should be fine.

I still have diarrhea, but the funny thing is, it his about the same time everyday, maybe 3x within 2 hrs and then it's done. I cut out my morning cup of coffee, b/c that is a colon stimulant. The other culprit could be the antibiotic they have me on to keep me from getting infection. That kills the good bacteria in your colon too. I will be done with that after Thursday's dose.

Hope your pain infusion helps. Are you sure you don't want to get this done now before the holidays so you won't have to live with pain every day.
ang4, bum revision your jobs sounds very rewarding im glad your doing well omg I drink loads of coffee but it is decaf will that still make me go?? nobody advised me on what to eat/drink as for the appointment I take whatever im given in the post which is next year the pain is scar tissue it may/maynot ever go away felling very depressed about the bag did they say how long your surgery repair will stay for ???? take care

Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #35
(female)

Bum revision HB User

ang4,

I think decaf can have the same effect, but regular coffee has the added effect of caffeine. I read that they think it is the tannin in coffee, but if you had caffeine it is a double whammy. If you don't have diarrhea don't worry about it. I cut my 1 cup of coffee out this morning and still had a couple of liq. stools. So I am suspecting the antibiotics, which I will finish on Thursday.

They didn't say how long the surgery could last. I think it depends on how much stress that you put on your sphincter. My goal is to NEVER get constipated again. I don't want to take any chances. So I will eat lots of fiber once I get back to a normal diet.

Hang in there. You are on my list of people to pray for.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #36
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Bum revision, I didn't have diarrhea after my surgery, I just had residual liquid stool from the bowel prep, which went away a day after surgery. I took stool softeners for 2 weeks afterwards and ate normally (no liquid diet) and didn't have diarrhea. I don't think I ripped any stitches internally. Some external stitches came undone, but after 5 weeks the skin was all healed.

Ang4, they say that this repair will last for 10 years, according to research. I however also read that one woman who had a s-plasty done said that her dr. said that one patient of his was on her 30th year post op and is still going strong. My own personal theory is that if you want this repair to last, you will HAVE to do kegel exercises for the rest of your life. It will also prevent any future urine incontinence, an added bonus. After a 4th degree tear you need to do kegels for a whole year to get proper improvement, the same would be after a s-plasty. I have been doing kegels everyday for 10 months now and I feel they really help. Without the kegels I would not be as continent as I am now. My goal is to do daily intensive kegels for another 2 years to improve strength and then do fewer a day to keep the strength, for the rest of my life. With kegels I think I can stay continent hopefully well into old age. Without kegels, in my case, I would never be 100% continent, even after surgery, let alone 10 years after surgery. So, the success of this surgery depends on how good you are at strengthening the muscles!

The Following User Says Thank You to Babygirl43 For This Useful Post:
ang4 (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #37
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Babygirl43

I agree about the kegals. I added chicken yesterday and ate yogurt plus a very sml piece of pumpkin bread made with white flour, b/c they said no fiber. The pumpkin has a little in but I ate such a small piece it couldn't have had more than 1/4 gm if that much. I am pretty sure it will clear up after the antibiotics stop killing off my friendly bacteria in my colon. I have some lactose intolerance too, so it may be due to my drinking protein drinks with milk in them. But I feel so great I am not bothered by a couple of diarrhea stools a day.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #38
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirl43 View Post
Bum revision, I didn't have diarrhea after my surgery, I just had residual liquid stool from the bowel prep, which went away a day after surgery. I took stool softeners for 2 weeks afterwards and ate normally (no liquid diet) and didn't have diarrhea. I don't think I ripped any stitches internally. Some external stitches came undone, but after 5 weeks the skin was all healed.

Ang4, they say that this repair will last for 10 years, according to research. I however also read that one woman who had a s-plasty done said that her dr. said that one patient of his was on her 30th year post op and is still going strong. My own personal theory is that if you want this repair to last, you will HAVE to do kegel exercises for the rest of your life. It will also prevent any future urine incontinence, an added bonus. After a 4th degree tear you need to do kegels for a whole year to get proper improvement, the same would be after a s-plasty. I have been doing kegels everyday for 10 months now and I feel they really help. Without the kegels I would not be as continent as I am now. My goal is to do daily intensive kegels for another 2 years to improve strength and then do fewer a day to keep the strength, for the rest of my life. With kegels I think I can stay continent hopefully well into old age. Without kegels, in my case, I would never be 100% continent, even after surgery, let alone 10 years after surgery. So, the success of this surgery depends on how good you are at strengthening the muscles!
ang4, hi babygirl i read it was 30 years also for a lady and her repair was going well were you told how long the repair would last??

as for kegels how are they done properly i did try but had lots of accidents tmi will the hosptial show me or can you tell me how they are done? long have you had successful surgery when i go to the toilet in the morin im usually done but have been caught out a few times as in waiting for a bus home it is awful how do you not strain?? i could try these exercises how will i know if im doing them right??? thanks babygirl for the advice maybe bum revision will do these exercises also

bum revision were you told about exercises etc??? wishing you well thankyou for the support will keep you updated.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #39
(female)

Bum revision HB User

ang4

I will be doing Kegals and have done a few gentle ones already. The best description of the muscles you use is that it is the same ones you use to stop the flow of urine with the phone or doorbell rings. When you get interrupted when you are peeing, you pull up with those muscles. Try practicing them now. Also google it and you may get more instruction.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #40
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Ang4, I'm not sure how much it will help you to do kegels before surgery. If your muscles don't form a full circle, it won't really help very much to do kegels, maybe only a bit. I would wait until after surgery to do them to be honest, but of course it won't hurt to practice now already. I went to a physiotherapist that is specialized in pelvic floor dysfunction and they have equipment there to measure the strength of the muscles each time you come (they put a probe in your vaginal entrance that measures how much you squeeze). You of course have to do all the exercises at home, but they can teach and guide you and measure strength over time. I think I went to a physiotherapist about 10 times over a 6 month period. This was a long time ago, after I'd given birth. Now I just do them by myself. The hospital where I had my s-plasty didn't mention kegels whatsoever, but the hospital where I gave birth were the ones to stress the importance of kegels, as well as my physiotherapist. I find it strange that doctors don't talk more about kegels after s-plasty, as kegels are what often will determine success or failure.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #41
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirl43 View Post
Ang4, I'm not sure how much it will help you to do kegels before surgery. If your muscles don't form a full circle, it won't really help very much to do kegels, maybe only a bit. I would wait until after surgery to do them to be honest, but of course it won't hurt to practice now already. I went to a physiotherapist that is specialized in pelvic floor dysfunction and they have equipment there to measure the strength of the muscles each time you come (they put a probe in your vaginal entrance that measures how much you squeeze). You of course have to do all the exercises at home, but they can teach and guide you and measure strength over time. I think I went to a physiotherapist about 10 times over a 6 month period. This was a long time ago, after I'd given birth. Now I just do them by myself. The hospital where I had my s-plasty didn't mention kegels whatsoever, but the hospital where I gave birth were the ones to stress the importance of kegels, as well as my physiotherapist. I find it strange that doctors don't talk more about kegels after s-plasty, as kegels are what often will determine success or failure.
ang4, hi babygirl yes that is strange that those exercises are never mention after surgery thanks for the info when did you have your surgery???

Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
(female)

Amomma HB User

Hi,
I had a s-plasty in April 2011. My procedure and recovery were not bad at all. However, i may have returned to work too soon as i am still very very tired. It is definitely worth considering if your quality of life is being impacted. Let me know if i can answer any questions.

Blessings,
Amomma

Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #43
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomma View Post
Hi,
I had a s-plasty in April 2011. My procedure and recovery were not bad at all. However, i may have returned to work too soon as i am still very very tired. It is definitely worth considering if your quality of life is being impacted. Let me know if i can answer any questions.

Blessings,
Amomma
Hi Amomma,

How soon did you return to work? I returned at 4 weeks, which was 2 weeks early, but I haven't been tired at all. It is still hard for me to think that I had anything done. But I know that I have a lot of suture down there, and I am now anal retentive.

Make sure you are eating a healthy diet and getting at least 7 hrs of sleep at night. I hope that things go better for you soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bum revision For This Useful Post:
Amomma (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #44
(female)

Amomma HB User

I returned to work about 4 weeks after s-plasty but also had a total hysterectomy, and perineoplasty in the weeks before s-plasty. I think my body just needed a bit more time because i was severely anemic too. Overall, my recovery experience was amazing.

You sound great and I hope that you contine to feel that way.

Blessings,
Amomma

Last edited by Amomma; 10-29-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #45
(female)

Bum revision HB User
Talking Anal sphincter repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomma View Post
I returned to work about 4 weeks after s-plasty but also had a total hysterectomy, and perineoplasty in the weeks before s-plasty. I think my body just needed a bit more time because i was severely anemic too. Overall, my recovery experience was amazing.

You sound great and I hope that you contine to feel that way.

Blessings,
Amomma
Amomma

If you had a total hyst and a perineoplasty in the weeks before your s-plasty plus anemia, I am sure that your body took a hit. I had the perineoplasty and the rectal sphinter repair, but no hyst, and I was in really good physical shape before surgery. He said he did a lot of suturing, esp. on my perineum which had a lot of scar tissue.

I was walking 2 1/2 mi. a twice a day by the 5th or 6th post op day. But my body bounced back quickly since it was used to me being so active. I am what some people would call a "health nut", but it has paid off b/c, at 61 yrs old, I still feel like I am in my 20's. In fact the 20 something nurses that I work with say they can't do more that 2 (12hr) shifts in a row. However, when I see what they eat, it is understandable that they have no energy. Be good to yourself, eat well, get rest, and you will get your energy up and your anemia will go away.

Closed Thread