It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
(female)

Bum revision HB User
Talking Anal sphincter repair

I am having surgery on Sept 27th and the stories i have read about people accidently tearing out their sutures are worrying me. I am not good at laying around. When my feet hit the floor early in the morning, I am on the go all day, until I go to bed at 10:30 or so at night. I never nap or sleep in. It sounds like I have to lay around for 2 weeks. Is that right?

Also my Dr says initially i will be on a low residue/low fiber diet. I guess that is so that the stools don't bulk up too much and dialate the sphincter. But when I looked up what you can eat on that diet, it's not conducive to healing. It's white rice, white bread, NO fresh fruits or veggies, you can have broth, jello, and anything that doesn't have more that 1/2 gm of fiber per serving. How can I heal on a junk food diet?

If ANYONE out there can give me any tip regarding recovery from this type of surgery, including do's and dont's I would very much appreciate it. Just share anything. I am a sponge right now looking for help.
Thanks so much esp. my Bum thanks you.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
(female)

Debs2124 HB User
Re: Anal sphincter repair

as far as the diet, i was told to ask in the hospital for a nutritionist. I mainly subsisted on protein smoothies and soup. YOu don't want fiber as it creates bulky hard stool which can ruin your surgery as you have to strain when you go. I was given high doses of stool softeners which I still use, just in cases, as I still have stitches coming out/dissolving and My surgery was May 9th. YOu will and can have stitches around for a year, its not uncommon. THe surgery includes layers and layers of stitches for the reconstruction part, and as for the sphincter there are tons to make it hold together until the tissues fuse. I did a liquid diet as that was what my dr recommended, NO SOLID FOOD, and as I posted in my other response to you was I had a perfect result, with minimal pain. So go buy protein powder, look forward to healthy smoothies (the dietician/nutritionist can guide you as to what you can and cannot have in a smoothie). A little fiber is ok, no red meats at all, chicken noodle soup is fine (cooked celery and carrots are OK), etc....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Deb, I typed a reply and it told me I wasn't logged on, but it showed I was up in the corner. It wouldn't send it. So I will ask you a couple of questions. What kind of protein did you use in your smoothies or drinks. Do you have a recipe you can share. When they say a liquid diet, does it mean clear liquids?

Do you know if the medical supply stores rent TOTOs? I can't afford to buy one. My surgical papers say I am having an external sphincter plication, perineoplasty, and a posterior colporrhaghy. The doc said I'd be in the hospital over night and then on bedrest 1-2 weeks. But I am seeing people in the hospital for 4-5 days. Is that b/c they are having an internal and external done?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
(female)

ang4 HB User

Hi bum revision do let me know how got on im due this repair this month some time but im having a colostomy bag as well to give the area time to heal yuk

Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Ang4

I may be getting a second opinion. My surgery is the 27th but I may go to a colo-rectal surgeon to see what he says. My Dr's specialty is reproductive repair. He is a GYN. He says he can fix it, but I don't know if it will be done as well as a colo-rectal Dr. Good luck with yours. It sounds pretty extensive if you have to have a colostomy bag.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum revision View Post
Ang4

I may be getting a second opinion. My surgery is the 27th but I may go to a colo-rectal surgeon to see what he says. My Dr's specialty is reproductive repair. He is a GYN. He says he can fix it, but I don't know if it will be done as well as a colo-rectal Dr. Good luck with yours. It sounds pretty extensive if you have to have a colostomy bag.
bum revision,

yes defo for getting a colo-rectal surgeon that is there speciality im in pain still the pain clinic are talkin about a infusion for the pain it may b too late with surgery looming I had been left with an unnoticed 4th degree tear for many weeks im v angry nobody believed my pain I thought I was going to die seriously im fumming and the pain may never go away also sorry to hear about your surgery what damage have you got??? all the best

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

Bum revision HB User

Ang4

Wow how could they miss a 4th degree. Do you mean they just didn't suture far enough? I am 61 on Tuesday. Mine is from years ago during childbirth. I had a 4th degree 3x. The Dr thinks the last time it wasn't repaired correctly. Now that I am in menopause and my estrogen is dwindling, your muscles relax and I can no longer compensate with my muscles. They have to resect the peritoneal muscle and revise the vaginal opening that is partly occluded with tissue that almost acts like a hymen. The gyn will fix that, but I don't want him doing the sphincter b/c I think he was just going to pull it together externally and hope that it held. I have an appt on the 14th with a dr. who does rectal surgery. Hopefully she will do a little more in depth surgery.

I hope you get relief soon. At least I have no pain. I can't imagine living in that much pain. I pray that the surgery works for you.
Cindy

Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
(female)

ang4 HB User
Red face Re: Anal sphincter repair

Quote:
Ang4

Wow how could they miss a 4th degree. Do you mean they just didn't suture far enough? I am 61 on Tuesday. Mine is from years ago during childbirth. I had a 4th degree 3x. The Dr thinks the last time it wasn't repaired correctly. Now that I am in menopause and my estrogen is dwindling, your muscles relax and I can no longer compensate with my muscles. They have to resect the peritoneal muscle and revise the vaginal opening that is partly occluded with tissue that almost acts like a hymen. The gyn will fix that, but I don't want him doing the sphincter b/c I think he was just going to pull it together externally and hope that it held. I have an appt on the 14th with a dr. who does rectal surgery. Hopefully she will do a little more in depth surgery.

I hope you get relief soon. At least I have no pain. I can't imagine living in that much pain. I pray that the surgery works for you.
Cindy
hi bum revision,

my baby is 6 months old my tear was totally missed ob had sewn my episomity and it opened the 4th tear tear was noticed wen i said i had no control over my bowels, i thought i just could not make it to the toilet because i was in agony im seeing my dr on thur for a date im in agony say the least attending pain clinic nothin has worked.

As for u i have no idea as i will have a bag so the stool will be going through that these re[airs are only 50/60 successful so by christmas i could be facing life with a bag my health is really bad and now i have mental health problems due to this im only 39 how could a 4th degree tear ever be missed and to think i had been going to the toilet on a tear sori very tmi i thought i was going to die i was afraid to look seriously i could not walk and mw declared all was well i will never be the same again i wish you well also im dreading it all we have no support at all i was sent home to deal with this im furious ang4

The following user gives a hug of support to ang4:
Bum revision (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
(female)

Bum revision HB User

ang 4

You have good reason to feel angry and to even be depressed. I watched "Soul Surfer" the other night. It is a good movie to rent for anyone facing catastrophic problems. It shows what we are able to overcome, or deal with, esp. if we have a personal relationship with Christ. The young girl looses her arm to a shark while surfing, and is determined to surf again. It is a true story.

One thing I do know is that Satan loves to keep us down and defeated and even sometimes mad at God. But if we stay in that place we will never rise above our trials. So give yourself permission to grieve and then put on your armor and charge forth to make your life better with whatever your circumstances are. You will heal better and your family will have a mom back, and you will start feeling better emotionally. Sometimes we have to literally "act" our way into a new way of thinking. I will put you on my prayer list. Thanks for your words of encouragement. You are worse off than I am, and you will find others worse off than you. We need to all be lifting each other up.
Cindy

Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
ang 4

You have good reason to feel angry and to even be depressed. I watched "Soul Surfer" the other night. It is a good movie to rent for anyone facing catastrophic problems. It shows what we are able to overcome, or deal with, esp. if we have a personal relationship with Christ. The young girl looses her arm to a shark while surfing, and is determined to surf again. It is a true story.

One thing I do know is that Satan loves to keep us down and defeated and even sometimes mad at God. But if we stay in that place we will never rise above our trials. So give yourself permission to grieve and then put on your armor and charge forth to make your life better with whatever your circumstances are. You will heal better and your family will have a mom back, and you will start feeling better emotionally. Sometimes we have to literally "act" our way into a new way of thinking. I will put you on my prayer list. Thanks for your words of encouragement. You are worse off than I am, and you will find others worse off than you. We need to all be lifting each other up.
Cindy
bum revision,

Very true there are people alot worst than me, the way I see it I only had a baby and the rest you can only imagine...... my minister had said a prayer for me and my family he blessed our marriage before baby got christened prayer is a powerful thing I believe and whatever will be.... will be I cannot change it but what I will be doing is speaking face to face with the OB who did this to me and let him know how angry I am and what I went through this is the only thing I can do then try and rebuild my new life as the one I had will never be the same.

My mum is in hosptial so im attending there im her carer she will be home next week.

words of wisdom you have spoken very wise ones Ang4

Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
(female)

Bum revision HB User

And you should well speak to your OB, in order that this not happen to someone else. Caring for your mom will help give you another purpose. She is blessed to have a daughter like you. I hope she recovers well, so she may in turn help you with yours. Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
(female)

ang4 HB User

Quote:
And you should well speak to your OB, in order that this not happen to someone else. Caring for your mom will help give you another purpose. She is blessed to have a daughter like you. I hope she recovers well, so she may in turn help you with yours. Keep me posted on how you are doing.
bum revision,

thanks you my mum cannot help I take care of her money bills etc she is house bound being a carer is hard word I have been doing it for 10 years I also cared for my dad but he has passed away I miss him so much he was a lovely man I hope your operation goes well and apparently the repair only lasts up to 5 years im exhausted in every well possible take care I will keep you posted ang4

Last edited by ang4; 09-03-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
(female)

Bum revision HB User

I am sorry about your dad, Ang. My mom died in Dec 09 and I miss her too. Enjoy the time w/ your mom. All of us lose our parents at some point and we think that it won't matter as much if they live to be old, but it still hurts, even when they have a long life. You always wish you would have spent more time with them.

My surgery is scheduled for sept. 27th. The office nurse said he has never had anyone come back for a redo. I think if you take really good care of yourself, and never allow yourself to get constipated, then it is much more likely to stay intact. Some people may break it open by having to push out hard formed stool. I plan on eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water, once mine is completely healed. I also am going to follow some of the success stories advice and stay on liquids for a couple of weeks with mostly bedrest to allow it to heal well before having my first B.M.

Take care and let me know when you are having your surgery.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
(female)

ang4 HB User

bum revision thankyou I missed my appointment with my surgeon got confused with days let me know how you get on im really scared with the colostomy bag have not eaten in days now my tummy is really sore let me know how you get on also im hoping it works for you take care do you have someone to take care of you??

Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
(female)

Bum revision HB User

yes, Ang I will be staying with a nurse who is a coworker of mine until I am feel like I can tolerate the 5 hr ride to my home. My husband will be helping me then, but I am pretty independent, so I will do as much as I can for myself. Don't be afraid of the colostomy bag. They are intimidating at first but once you catch on to how they work, it isn't bad, esp. if they are temporary. We have premature babies that need them for a while if their gut perforates. Your clothes cover it and no one knows you have one unless you tell them.

Closed Thread