It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
(male)

Dalro HB User
Chronic Diarrhea for 8 weeks? Help!

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping somebody can help with some advice, or sharing a similar experience.

Basically, about 2 months ago I came down with a stomach bug. Basically I had diarrhea with no other symptoms at all - no pain, cramping, fever, nothing. At that time it was very watery. After a few days, I had an abdominal exam by my GP, and he said I had an angry bowel and to take immodium for a few days, call him if it doesn't clear up.

it did not clear up, however, so I went back and ended up having stool samples and a blood test. I can't say what they were testing, really, but I can say all the tests were negative. No blood in the stool, not anemic, not dehydrated, no bacteria, no infection, yada yada yada.

P.S., I should say I'm on 40 mg of Prilosec every day for a diagnosed small hiatal hernia, resulting in chronic GERD - I've had this for about 10 years, and it is well controlled.

Anyway, I started eating a lot of yogurt, and limiting my food intake to breads, yogurt, soup, pasta, a little cheese, etc. Also I'm on day 6 of "Acute GI" probiotics, 50 billion organisms of 10 strains that are supposed to help issues like this (with no results yet, day 6). I started trying Citricel today, but I'm not expecting much from that.

I should say that the urgency of the diarrhea is bad in the morning, but gets better as the day goes on. Then I wake up the next day thinking it might be getting better, and the cycle repeats. It is not as liquidy anymore, but somes long and soft, and completely smelly very disgusting. Sometimes a "plop" of something that looks like a tablespoon of powder is in the bowl, but I don't know if the consistency is really powdery or it just looks like that. I have never seen blood in there, and again, original tests were negative for blood. It really, really stinks.

I don't know what this thing can be. I'm worried it could be pancreatitis, an immune disorder, Celiac's, Chrohns, or any of the other multiple scary diseases out there. My doctor thinks it's either IBS or IBD, but I'm tired of all these tests and I just want to poop 1 time normally. Just once. Then I'd stop freaking out so much.

Has anyone every suddenly had chronic diarrhea onset, with no other symptoms, and did it turn out to be something scary? How did you, or could you resolve it? Keeping in mind, for 2 months I have not had a single normal bowel movement. The longest I've gone without pooping is maybe a lucky 32 hours, but usually I'm going 3-5 times daily.

Please help, as I am freaking out about this!

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Chronic Diarrhea for 8 weeks? Help!

I'm surprised your Dr has not sent you for a Colonoscopy.
I was told when I had mine that any change in the Bowels should be investigated. During mine, and mine was done because of alternating Diarrhea and Constipation and weight loss, Diverticulitis was discovered.
You mention Probiotics. I took these for over a year and since leaving them of three months ago I have had less problems with my Stomach and Bowels.
Your diet doesn't sound as if there is much Fibre in it, I was told to increase mine when I had loose bowel movements.
Hope this helps, Solofelix.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
(male)

Dalro HB User

Thanks solo,

I think the colonoscopy is the next step; I'm supposed to call to schedule one tomorrow. I was hoping by some miracle, the problem would have gotten better by now.

Out of curiosity, did you only experience bowel changes, or did you also have cramping, tenderness, or blood?

I'm kind of hoping that at worst, it's IBS-D, but at this point who knows... seems like an IBS-D attack would have cleared up by 8 weeks. (as an aside, does anyone with IBS-D suffer the D for 8 weeks or more?)

Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User

I'd also suggest maybe try drinking some Gatorade or some similar drink to keep you hydrated and replace electrolytes.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Dalro,
The reason I had a Colonoscopy aside from the Bowel Problem was because I lost blood through my mouth one night (not bowels).
It was thought an Ulcer but GI Dr wanted to be sure nothing else was going on . I get lots of pains in my stomach, particularly on the left side that's where my Diverticulitis is and it showed up with the Colonoscopy. Last month I was told I have IBS as well.
IBS and Diverticulitis symptoms are similar.
I wish you well with your Colonoscopy and let me know how you get on.
Solofelix.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
(male)

Dalro HB User

Thank you for your help. I will feel better once this colonoscopy thing is over, as I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone I can't think of a more unpleasant thought that getting one...

Today I actually have a slight tiny bit of hope, as although nothing is back to "normal", it was more normal than it was the usual and it was about 20 hours between BM's. My stomach has been churning during that time, but I wonder if the Citricel helped in some way.

That's a good idea about Gatorade, too. I feel tired lately, and I'm sure its from malabsorption.

I wish I could define this thing without the colonoscopy, my gut tells me that it will return normal as there's been no pain or blood. (No pun intended). Somethings going on though,

Old 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dont worry about the Colonoscopy.
Ive had two, their no trouble at all. With sedation you wont know a thing about it.
Think!!.. "Peace of Mind... Good Luck, Solofelix.

Last edited by mod85; 10-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Dalro (10-02-2011)
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
(female)

Becky Jo HB User

Hi Dairo. I saw one of those mystery illness TV shows recently. It was about a woman who had diarrhea for about 6 years. She was diagnosed and treated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome but the diarrhea continued to rule her life and she thought something else was wrong. Doctor after doctor couldn't help her overcome the diarrhea but finally one diagnosed her with Pernicious Anemia which comes from a B12 deficiency. They discovered that her intestines could not absorb B12 and that's what caused it. After taking B12 injections for 2 months, her health turned around. It's something to think about. In the meantime, I will be praying for your return to good health.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
(female)

JLQx2 HB User

Hey there! I have a very similar problem. I haven't had a normal bowel movement in about 3 months. It's bad for me in the morning too and then gets better, however I still go, like you said 3-5 times a day. I haven't had any other symptoms either. My stool samples came back with negative results. I am actually having a colonoscopy tomorrow. I'm stuck in the bathroom because of the prep. I hope we both get some relief soon!!

Don't worry, you are not alone!!

Closed Thread