It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

wintermommy HB User
Preparing for Anal Sphincteroplasty - What should I have on-hand?

Hi all,

I have been reading your threads since I found out I would need to have this procedure. My brief background - I have three kids under 5 and had a 4th degree tear and two second degree tears, respectively. I've been having issues that you are all familiar with since my first was born, but wanted to wait until we were finished having children until I fixed everything. Things have obviously gotten worse over time. My kids are all preschool aged.

I have full time help for three weeks and then will have "on-call" help for errands and taking to and from mothers day out and various activities.

I am putting together my list of things to have on hand so that I don't need to send anyone to the store at the last minute, although I expect I might still need to!

My list so far is:

-Miralax
-Sitz bath
-Broths and clear fluids to drink (I'm freezing these as I cook so its not so bland!)
-Green produce to juice (I do this anyway)

What else do I need and what does the hospital usually send you home with? (ex, with my kids, they always sent me home with the squirt bottles, sitz baths, Tucks pads, etc - but I know this is a VERY different situation, so I'm oblivious about what I need and will get.)

Thank you so much - any words of encouragement or tips you have will be helpful in terms of how to deal with my kids while I'm down... I plan to also have a little "station" by my bedside that will have coloring books, crayons, kid games, library books, etc so that when they come to see me, it will still be MOM and we can still play together, albeit lying down.

Thanks so much - I'm getting nervous!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
(female)

trixieb HB Usertrixieb HB User
Re: Preparing for Anal Sphincteroplasty - What should I have on-hand?

Good luck with your repair! How long will you be in the hospital? I am trying to remember what they sent me home with...my repair was not long after my birth, so I already had sitz baths and peri bottles on hand. I don't think they sent me home with those things, though I'm sure you could ask and they could probably grab some from L&D. I would stock up on gauze pads which I used for a few months after the surgery. And in terms of diet, I would recommend lots of protein which will aid in healing. I also took arnica tablets, recommended by an OB who said they regularly prescribed arnica at a Hawaiian hospital she worked in. I'll keep thinking and will post again if I think of anything else!

Closed Thread