It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
(male)

jasongeathers HB User
Constipation turned into pencil like stools

My constipation started when I started oxycodone (opiate pain med) for a condition I have unrelated to GI. Opioid pain meds are known for making people constipated, so I wasn't surprised when it happened. So I started taking Miralax every day at the advice of my doctor. My stool did soften and start to pass, but it is small, ribbon like "slices" of stool, and it feels like I have some hemorrhoids going on now. My question is, can hemorrhoids cause pencil like stool?

I have searched this on the internet at length and found one place that mentions pencil stools can be caused by hemorrhoids. The rest do not list hemorrhoids as a cause of pencil like stools. Please help me here (please start by answering my question if you would). I have no other symptoms other than some lower back pain. Nobody in my family history has ever had colon/rectal/anal cancer. Thank you very much for any knowledgeable answers, it is worrying me a ton.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Constipation turned into pencil like stools

Hi,
First of all, have you had a colonoscopy to see what is going on.
There are other Conditions that can cause pencil-like stools. I have IBS and Diverticulitis and have the same type of stool.
It is possible that you have Hemorrhoids but again you would need to have this diagnosed.
You could try increasing your Fibre intake and additional fluids to see what happens.
I wish you well, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
jasongeathers (10-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

jasongeathers HB User

Thank you for the response, Solofelix.

I have not had a colonoscopy, doc told me I didn't need to start that till my 40's. I am 34. I found a condition that probably is what I am dealing with. It's called "Opioid-Induced Bowel Dysfunction". There are a lot of medical articles on it. I will only be on the oxycodone for about 3 more weeks, so I am going to try to get through it. I hope it is the right choice.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
(male)

jasongeathers HB User

I will ask, if anybody else knows for sure, can hemorrhoids cause small slice like stools? Look like small ribbons. Does anybody else know if this is common?

Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi jason,
I hope you hear from someone with Hemorrhoids as I dont have that problem myself.
I read somewhere that IBS can cause ribbon like stools, I have recently been diagnosed with IBS so thats probably why mine are like this.
Solofelix.

Last edited by mod85; 10-22-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Closed Thread