It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

Jules11 HB User
Question Stomach Virus & Green Stools

Hi had to see an on-call dr. on Saturday evening after starting with intermittent but painful abdominal pains and very frequent watery yellow stools at 3am on Wednesday monring, he diagnosed Gastroenteritis and prescribed Ciprofloaxin for the virus, I thought thing's had begun improving as up until this morning at about 730am I'd had no bowel movement since Sunday night, but now they are back, watery and dark green but no pain, I now have to send in a stool sample, but is this colour normal or not when getting over a s/v as I feel relatively fine in myself now just hardly eaten anything over the past 5-6 days.

Last edited by Jules11; 11-29-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Stomach Virus & Green Stools

Cipro for a stomach bug? Kind of overkill there! Next time, ask the doctor whether it really is necessary before you take such a strong antibiotic. It won't help fight a virus, and it can actually make diarrhea worse.

Dark green is a color within the range of normal for stools to be, however, and it may take a while for your bowels to feel 100% right. So, if you are not in pain and not dehydrated, don't worry too much.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jules11 (11-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

Jules11 HB User

Thanks for your reply, but to be honest I wasn't even in the frame of mind to question a medical professional at the time I just wanted shot of this. I finish taking these on Thursday morning, my diarrhoea is no worse if in fact it's 10 times better than last week, but my dr told me if I still have the diarrhoea tomorrow morning to send in the sample. So I will just see how I go I think.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your intestinal tract as well as the bad so that can cause diarrhea and yeast infections. You can eat yogurt every day or take acidophilus by mouth 3 times a day while on antibiotics. This won't interfere with the antibiotics from working. To help firm up or add bulk to your bowel movements take a fiber supplement like Citrucel twice a day. Just make sure you drink another 8 oz. glass of water before and after taking the Citrucel or you will end up very constipated.
Don't take antibiotics for viruses as they don't work on viruses and you're setting yourself up for your body being resistant to antibiotics when you really need them. Antibiotic resistant infections don't respond to oral antibiotics and you could have to be on IV antibiotics for as long as 6 weeks. These are known as super bugs such as MSRA. MSRA sometimes actually can kill you if they don't respond to the IV antibiotics.

Closed Thread