It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

Speranta HB User
Antibiotics Destroyed Stomach

Hi, all. I hope I'm posting this in the right section!

This past October, I started feeling really sick. Extreme nausea and severe stomach pain, fever, decreased appetite, throwing up bile, pain in the neck and behind my eye sockets. I was in the ER twice and saw a whole bunch of doctors several times ranging from my PCP to a gastroenterologist. They discovered I had an infection that caused pelvic inflammatory disease, mono that caused elevated liver enzymes and leukocytes and an enlarged spleen (and they didn't know it was mono at first, so they spent a good amount of time scaring me with the possibilities of what it could be!), and a complex ovarian cyst.

Obviously, there was not much they could do for the mono. The infection that caused PID was not from an STI, so they gave me a round of several antibiotics: a long shot on the first day (I can't recall the name), and doxycycline and metronidazole twice a day for two weeks. I had no idea I was supposed to eat yogurt and/or take a probiotic while on them.

During the course of this treatment, I not only lost my appetite, but I became nauseated at the thought of ANY food. I knew I had to eat food or else the antibiotics would upset my stomach even more, so I had to force down a small amount of crackers (usually four) or half a slice of bread. All while I did this, I wanted to throw up. The thought of my favorite foods even turned my stomach. The small amount of food I ate with the antibiotics was all I ate while on them. In a little over a week, I had lost thirteen pounds.

Needless to say, this all affected my stomach and bowel movements quite a bit. The side effects were also terrible. I ended up getting some burning pain near my heart that turned out to be acid reflux. I'd never experienced it before, so I was actually terrified at first that I was going into cardiac arrest (which would be odd since I'm only twenty-two!). Once I stopped taking the antibiotics, I regained my appetite - and shortly after that, I had a painful bowel movement that consisted of very loose stool. After it settled in the toilet, it actually looked a lot like moss.

Ever since then, my bowel movements have been messed up. I used to be regular (once a day or once every other day at the latest). Now they build up in me over the course of a few days. I know when I'm about to have one because I get a lot of stomach pain. During the bowel movement and for about an hour or two afterward, my stomach has tons of this pain. One time, it was very consistent on the right side of my stomach and it hurt to touch; that was the only time, however, as the pain is usually spread out. These bowel movements are always soft and very thin, and I often feel as though I'm going to throw up when I'm having them. Sometimes I'll start to sweat or it will feel as though I'm having cramps and my rectum is "flexing." I almost always have to return to the toilet two or three times after the first bowel movement to get all of it out.

Originally, these bowel movements often burnt when they came out. I suspect it was maybe a build-up of acid from when the antibiotics caused me to have acid reflux. The burning would continue for a couple of hours, and my rectum would be very sore for the rest of the day. This stayed the same for about two to three weeks, but now I only get this burning occasionally.

It has now been almost seven weeks since I've been off of these antibiotics, but my stomach is not getting any better. I've been trying to eat lots of yogurt and my gastroenterologist recommended I take a probiotic called Align. I have yet to start taking it and I am seeing her again next week; I'm hoping it will start to help.

In any case, I just wanted to ask readers if this is a common experience from antibiotics. Is there anything else I can do to help my stomach return to normal along with the probiotic? How long does this typically take? It is awful to have this happen every time I have a bowel movement, and it's especially embarrassing to have it happen when I'm at work. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Re: Antibiotics Destroyed Stomach

I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much trouble. Have they done any stool tests on you? Sometimes antibiotics can cause c-diff to affect us and it's horrible and humiliating. Probiotics are good for you but if you have c-diff you will need another antibiotic for that specifically but one that will relieve you not torture you like the others. Good luck with your quest!!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speranta View Post

This past October, I started feeling really sick. Extreme nausea and severe stomach pain, fever, decreased appetite, throwing up bile, pain in the neck and behind my eye sockets. I was in the ER twice and saw a whole bunch of doctors several times ranging from my PCP to a gastroenterologist. They discovered I had an infection that caused pelvic inflammatory disease, mono that caused elevated liver enzymes and leukocytes and an enlarged spleen (and they didn't know it was mono at first, so they spent a good amount of time scaring me with the possibilities of what it could be!), and a complex ovarian cyst.

Obviously, there was not much they could do for the mono. The infection that caused PID was not from an STI, so they gave me a round of several antibiotics: a long shot on the first day (I can't recall the name), and doxycycline and metronidazole twice a day for two weeks. I had no idea I was supposed to eat yogurt and/or take a probiotic while on them.

During the course of this treatment, I not only lost my appetite, but I became nauseated at the thought of ANY food. I knew I had to eat food or else the antibiotics would upset my stomach even more, so I had to force down a small amount of crackers (usually four) or half a slice of bread. All while I did this, I wanted to throw up. The thought of my favorite foods even turned my stomach. The small amount of food I ate with the antibiotics was all I ate while on them. In a little over a week, I had lost thirteen pounds.

Needless to say, this all affected my stomach and bowel movements quite a bit. The side effects were also terrible. I ended up getting some burning pain near my heart that turned out to be acid reflux. I'd never experienced it before, so I was actually terrified at first that I was going into cardiac arrest (which would be odd since I'm only twenty-two!). Once I stopped taking the antibiotics, I regained my appetite - and shortly after that, I had a painful bowel movement that consisted of very loose stool. After it settled in the toilet, it actually looked a lot like moss.

Ever since then, my bowel movements have been messed up. I used to be regular (once a day or once every other day at the latest). Now they build up in me over the course of a few days. I know when I'm about to have one because I get a lot of stomach pain. During the bowel movement and for about an hour or two afterward, my stomach has tons of this pain. One time, it was very consistent on the right side of my stomach and it hurt to touch; that was the only time, however, as the pain is usually spread out. These bowel movements are always soft and very thin, and I often feel as though I'm going to throw up when I'm having them. Sometimes I'll start to sweat or it will feel as though I'm having cramps and my rectum is "flexing." I almost always have to return to the toilet two or three times after the first bowel movement to get all of it out.

Originally, these bowel movements often burnt when they came out. I suspect it was maybe a build-up of acid from when the antibiotics caused me to have acid reflux. The burning would continue for a couple of hours, and my rectum would be very sore for the rest of the day. This stayed the same for about two to three weeks, but now I only get this burning occasionally.

It has now been almost seven weeks since I've been off of these antibiotics, but my stomach is not getting any better. I've been trying to eat lots of yogurt and my gastroenterologist recommended I take a probiotic called Align. I have yet to start taking it and I am seeing her again next week; I'm hoping it will start to help.

In any case, I just wanted to ask readers if this is a common experience from antibiotics. Is there anything else I can do to help my stomach return to normal along with the probiotic? How long does this typically take? It is awful to have this happen every time I have a bowel movement, and it's especially embarrassing to have it happen when I'm at work. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speranta View Post

Antibiotics can raise havoc with your whole digestive system as you're finding out the hard way unfortunately. They kill the good bacteria in the intestines as well as the bad so that's why you're having so many problems. Try also drinking milk with acidophilus in it which you can find next to the regular milk or you can take it in pill form two-three times a day. I wish doctors and hospitals would tell their patients to take yogurt or other probiotics like Align or acidophilus while they're on antibiotics. I sure would save people from a whole lot of misery.
As far as soft thin stools after 2-4 days of not moving your bowels and only a little coming out at a time means that the soft thin stool is going around a large hard stool. Try using a glycerin suppository to soften whatever hard stool that maybe stuck in your rectum or higher up in the colon. The burning may be caused by some acidic food that you may have eaten over the last couple of days. I have a long history of chronic constipation problems and this is what I do when I get constipated: I use a glycerin suppository but before I even insert that into my rectum I put on a glove with lots of vaseline on it and put on the outside area around my anus and just inside the rectum and then I use a clean glove with lots of vaseline on the tip of the suppository and on the gloved finger and insert the suppository and push it up as far as you can. Then go lay on your bed on your left side and pull your left leg up to your chest as much as you can and right leg stays straight. Stay on your left side for 20-30 minutes or until you get a very strong urge to have a bowel movement. Don't strain or force the stool to come out just take slow deep breaths continuously. This will relax your muscles and make it easier to pass the stool through the anus. It makes so much easier and so much less pain. I hope this will help you have much less pain in having a bowel movement.

Closed Thread

Tags
antibiotics, bowel movements, stomach pain