It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

742492 HB User
constipation, diarrhea, red tinted water, stringy stool... help

background - i'm a 20 year old male, fairly healthy, balanced diet, lots of vegetables in diet... Beginning a few years ago, I would get occasional constipation, but didn't think very much of it. Then, last April / May the constipation became more consistent. I had recently had a SO move into my room, we were sharing a bed, and I had little time to myself... I guess this was a life-altering time, and caused a bit of stress. I tried a miralax, dulcolax, and even an enema... I try to stay away from laxatives, but it was getting desperate. They would soemtimes produce a BM, . In the mid-summer, I moved to Los Angeles for an internship, and my constipation got...horrible. I would have very few BMs, even though I would go to the toilet very often and sit, hoping for something...any BM I did have was very stringy, pencil-thin pieces of stool. I had a significant log maybe.. twice in a month? Everything else was a very rare, thin, small BM and I constantly felt full of ****, literally. I saw a GI while I was out there, but he was a person I found online and his operation didn't seem too legit...he told me to try milk of magnesia combined with dulcolax...I did, to no success. He eventually had be drink that big jug of Golyte... I thought for sure that stuff would help me out, but it did next to nothing. Still, just a few miniscule pencil-thin stools. I returned to school at the end of the internship, things got a little better... I was very, very gassy and bloated, and still was not anywhere near normal, as far as BMs go. I went to see a different GI, she was a little better. I had occasionally been getting red specs in my stool, and was concerned that it might be blood. She did a test for blood, and it came up negative. She also took an x-ray, and didn't find anything out of whack. She told me to keep track of fiber, which I was already very vigilant in doing. Throughout the semester, I would go to the bathroom often, hoping for a bowel movement.. when I finally did have one, I would feel great for a day or two, and then it would be awhile before having another. Now that I'm home, I have had some diarrhea, interspersed with constipation. I still never feel completely evacuated. This morning, there was a red tint around my stool, and there were bits of what looked like carrots and lettuce (fitting, because I eat those often, for fiber)... The stool was very thing, like always, and very gooey. I scheduled a GI appointment, but they can't get me in until three weeks from now. There's some pee-sized lumps in the fat on my lower abdomen. I also strain a bit while peeing, and don't always completely drain my bladder, or take awhile before I begin to pee. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms (there's a lot..) ... is it more than IBS? What should I do in the meantime, as I wait for my appointment? These digestive issues have taken a toll on my life, and I am getting really really tired of it. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: constipation, diarrhea, red tinted water, stringy stool... help

[QUOTE=742492;4901219]background - i'm a 20 year old male, fairly healthy, balanced diet, lots of vegetables in diet... Beginning a few years ago, I would get occasional constipation, but didn't think very much of it. Then, last April / May the constipation became more consistent. I had recently had a SO move into my room, we were sharing a bed, and I had little time to myself... I guess this was a life-altering time, and caused a bit of stress. I tried a miralax, dulcolax, and even an enema... I try to stay away from laxatives, but it was getting desperate. They would soemtimes produce a BM, . In the mid-summer, I moved to Los Angeles for an internship, and my constipation got...horrible. I would have very few BMs, even though I would go to the toilet very often and sit, hoping for something...any BM I did have was very stringy, pencil-thin pieces of stool. I had a significant log maybe.. twice in a month? Everything else was a very rare, thin, small BM and I constantly felt full of ****, literally. I saw a GI while I was out there, but he was a person I found online and his operation didn't seem too legit...he told me to try milk of magnesia combined with dulcolax...I did, to no success. He eventually had be drink that big jug of Golyte... I thought for sure that stuff would help me out, but it did next to nothing. Still, just a few miniscule pencil-thin stools. I returned to school at the end of the internship, things got a little better... I was very, very gassy and bloated, and still was not anywhere near normal, as far as BMs go. I went to see a different GI, she was a little better. I had occasionally been getting red specs in my stool, and was concerned that it might be blood. She did a test for blood, and it came up negative. She also took an x-ray, and didn't find anything out of whack. She told me to keep track of fiber, which I was already very vigilant in doing. Throughout the semester, I would go to the bathroom often, hoping for a bowel movement.. when I finally did have one, I would feel great for a day or two, and then it would be awhile before having another. Now that I'm home, I have had some diarrhea, interspersed with constipation. I still never feel completely evacuated. This morning, there was a red tint around my stool, and there were bits of what looked like carrots and lettuce (fitting, because I eat those often, for fiber)... The stool was very thing, like always, and very gooey. I scheduled a GI appointment, but they can't get me in until three weeks from now. There's some pee-sized lumps in the fat on my lower abdomen. I also strain a bit while peeing, and don't always completely drain my bladder, or take awhile before I begin to pee. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms (there's a lot..) ... is it more than IBS? What should I do in the meantime, as I wait for my appointment? These digestive issues have taken a toll on my life, and I am getting really really tired of it. Please help.[/QUOTE

I have IBS-A since 1996 . The A stands for alternating between constipation and bouts of explosive diarrhea. My IBS usually more on the constipation end since I have had lifelong problems with constipation.
In early March of 2011 I decided to take the bull by the horns and do something about the constipation on my own the natural way with no laxatives or enemas. I started out by eating 20-25 grams a day of fiber,drinking 64 oz. a day of water, Citrucel twice a day( at breakfast and after work in the evening), I established a morning schedule of sitting on the toilet for 30 minutes every day at the same time to have a bowel movement. The only thing that I found that really helps me to have a pain free bowel movement is to do slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have a bowel movement. The slow deep breathing really relaxes all my muscles so I can pass stool without straining. This takes extra time,patience,and vigilance on my part to do this daily. This is the only way I can keep myself from getting constipated. If I skip one day then I pay the awful price the next time I try to move my bowels.
Try increasing your water intake along with the fiber. Try establishing a time for sitting on the toilet to move your bowels every day. I use glycerin suppositories to soften the stool that has been in my rectum for 1-4 days to make it easier to pass.

Closed Thread