It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

mmk2009 HB User
Abnormal bowel loops on my son's colonoscopy? (picture included)

My 7 year old son started having bloody bowel movements, occasionally with mucus as well as abdominal pain a week ago yesterday. After a pediatrician visit and an ER visit we eventually ended up at a pediatric gastroenterologist who did a colonoscopy today.

Up until this point his stool cultures were normal (no bacteria) except for 'noteable decrease in entereic flora'.

Anyway, the gastro doc came out and spoke with us after the procedure and said that he was surprised to find that he doesn't have a 'normally' shaped bowel. The top of the attached picture is what he said a normal bowel looks like and the bottom is what he drew that our son's looks like.

The doctor didn't appear concerned at all and said it's just how he was made and not a big deal. I on the other hand am wondering if this could cause problems later in life? Or even if this is some sort of condition or if so what it's called?

As for the rest of the results he said the sigmoid colon was redder than usual but that it may just be normal for him. Everything else looked normal. I really liked this doctor but he seemed to brush off the abnormal findings as just normal for my son and not a big deal. He took biopsies and we should have those results by Monday or Tuesday.

Any ideas on the shape of his bowel? Similar stories? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colonoscopyresult.jpg (63.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mmk2009; 01-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread