It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Khloelou HB User
Bowel Incontinence/Anxiety

Hey guys

Im a 32 year old female and Im at my whits end. I just dont know what to do anymore.

I have really bad Bowel Incontinence. So much so Im now scared to go anywhere incase I cant get to the toilet. I dont have much warning and if I dont go straight away, I have an accident. I have a VERY supportive husband but as much as he tries, he will never understand. It has come to the point in my life where I am now wearing Tena knickers to go out to work as Im not even safe then.

Im a community carer and when I go to a client and shower them, I have to go, so much so I now have a kinda potty thing in the car so Im never caught short.....this is getting crazy and sometimes I just wish I could be fitted with a colaustomy bag and be done with it - please, any help or suggestions will be gratefully received as this is seriously affecting my quality of life.

Thanks Khloe x

The following user gives a hug of support to Khloelou:
patient2011 (01-18-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

tmmcrowd HB User
Re: Bowel Incontinence/Anxiety

I so understand!I had surgery and It has no longer working.I cannot live like this the rest of my life.Have been to rectal doc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

I'm sorry you're going through this. Did you have a severe tear during birth? How often does this happen each day? You definitely need to see a colo-recal doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Babygirl43 For This Useful Post:
tmmcrowd (01-18-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

sad6575 HB User

It's distressing to have this problem, but you are not alone!! Up to 1 in 3 women who have given birth have problems with bowel control.

Take control and contact a colorectal surgeon or urogynecologist. There are several new therapies and procedures now available worldwide. Your doctor will be able to determine which treatment is best for you. Therapy usually begins conservatively with exercise, diet and possibly biofeedback therapy, then if that fails, progresses to minimally invasive options. Secca therapy is a minimally invasive option that involves delivering radiofrequency energy to the sphincter muscle, remodeling the tissue and improving control. If minimally invasive therapies are not successful, there are implantable therapy options such as injectable bulking agents like Solesta, and also Interstim which is a pacemaker like device. All of these options can be tried before surgery and colostomy are discussed.
There's hope with all of these new options! Good luck - this is something that is treatable!

The Following User Says Thank You to sad6575 For This Useful Post:
tmmcrowd (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
(female)

patient2011 HB User

So sorry you are dealing with this. As others have posted definitely see a colorectal surgeon or urogynocologist. And another suggestion -- start with a GASTROENTERLOGIST who will probably want to do a colonoscopy. I have suffered for years with the same problem and I totally commiserate.

I was told many years ago that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and with medication (Lexapro and Neurontin) I was finally able to get it under control for the most part. But recently I had a sphinteroplasty (sphincter repair), a rectocele repair and a midurethal sling, at age 53. My sphincter must have been badly torn during forceps delivery 27 yrs ago and the sphincter muscles finally just gave out on me. DO KEGELS every day to get those muscles strong. I wish I had known to do Kegels every day.

There are many other options too -- like biofeedback etc. If there is a pelvic health center near you go there. I went to one in Houston.

You are not alone. Hang in there and get professional help. I know it's embarrassing but remember it is also a normal bodily function. Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-18-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to patient2011 For This Useful Post:
tmmcrowd (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
(female)

tmmcrowd HB User

Yes I have bben to gastro doc and have IBS and Had aspinctorplasty with overlap in 2009 and it worked for a year and then stopped and I too had 4th degree tears and forceps used in births 27 yrs ago and I am 51.My surgery was so painful and was hospitalized for 6 days.I am just tired.Thanks

Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
(female)

Suffering in OH HB User

I know what you are going through. I have bowel incontenence and I get so afraid. I guess I'm lucky that my stool is hard and comes out in small balls. If it were loose I don't know what I'd do. I've been to rectal doctors and surgery has a long recovery. I tried biofeedback but it got to be too time-consuming. They wanted me to come in three times a week. Just know that you are not alone.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khloelou View Post
Hey guys

Im a 32 year old female and Im at my whits end. I just dont know what to do anymore.

I have really bad Bowel Incontinence. So much so Im now scared to go anywhere incase I cant get to the toilet. I dont have much warning and if I dont go straight away, I have an accident. I have a VERY supportive husband but as much as he tries, he will never understand. It has come to the point in my life where I am now wearing Tena knickers to go out to work as Im not even safe then.

Im a community carer and when I go to a client and shower them, I have to go, so much so I now have a kinda potty thing in the car so Im never caught short.....this is getting crazy and sometimes I just wish I could be fitted with a colaustomy bag and be done with it - please, any help or suggestions will be gratefully received as this is seriously affecting my quality of life.

Thanks Khloe x
Has any doctor suggested learning to retrain your bowels to move at a certain time of day ? This is usually used for chronic constipation sufferers like mydelf but I also know it's used in nursing home to keep residents contienent.
If you have or did have a specific time of the day when you would normally move your bowels, use this time of day to start to retrain your bowels to move at that time. Most people move their bowels about 30 minutes after a meal. Go sit on the toilet about 30 minutes after a meal. Give yourself up to 30 minutes on the toilet to move your bowels at the same time every day. Read a book or magazine or listen to relaxing music to relax your mind and body to make it easier to go. it can take up to 1-2 weeks to establish a daily schedule for moving your bowels. Because I have chronic constipation problems I found that if I do slow deep breathing exercises to help facilitate in moving my bowels. If your bm's are too loose then you might want to try using a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucel to add bulk to your bm's and help make you regular. I hope this is something that might work for you to regain being continent of your bowels again. it does take time and patience but I'm sure it will be a lot less work in the long run and not to mention any embarrassing accidents in public.

Closed Thread

Tags
bowel incontinence & anxiety