It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Appendicitis ???

Could someone tell me how this presents itself, someone who has experienced it, not what the web says. What it feels like before it ruptures, types of symptoms you had.

My daughter has been having lower right pain and tenderness since sunday, started out as a squeezing pain, hurt her too much to move, hurt worse when she lays on her left side, hurts worse when she walks/moves. Took her to the doctor, normal urinalysis, she refused blood work. She wakes up in the middle of the night in tears and I took her to the ER, all they could do is a non-contrast CT because she refuses a transvaginal ultrasound, too uncomfortable with having a pelvic exam done, and too afraid of needles to let them draw blood or do an IV for the CT, so the doctor said this plain CT really wouldn't show much but it did show her appendix looked normal, yet does that mean the problem isn't there? I'm doubting it. He could not rule out anything serious. Urine test showed WBC's but she is menstrating, so I don't know, the one a couple of days ago, was normal.

I'm worried. She has had alot of nausea, but no vomitting or fever.

What do I do?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: Appendicitis ???

When mine burst .the pain really wasn't any worst them a very very bad period..but it was exactly in athe area described by you,,>the only way to tell for sure is once they have opend you up......and if it's burst already she's in major danger ..so go back to the hospital now!Good luck...my father died from his bursting and leaking for over a week......its not a thing you want to screw around with.......tell her death hurts worst then needles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I know her pain has been worse than a period.

Well, I've tried, turning blue in the face, trying to convince her to do this.

She's had her belly button peirced twice, a nose peircing, that hurts worse than any blood draw or IV injection, but ... she still says no..

Almost feel like it's a child signing their suicide note. And everyone is standing by allowing it to happen!

I can't make the ER make her do all this. None of these doctor's will make her if she refuses, they say they can't.

Did you lose your appetite or vomit? As long as her pain isn't bad, she can eat. And she has pain medication and nausea pills that keep her symptoms calm if need be.

If it does rupture, will she be vomitting? I know my brother in law had it and I haven't had a chance to talk to him but his ruptured and it went through his bloodstream and he came near seeing death, and he felt it as well.

The only thing I can sit here and assume, if it is her appendix, it will eventually get so bad, that the kid will be begging to let the doctors do anything to help her. So that may not be the case ???

Could the pain get so bad, that she can't even walk?

How long could the pain persist before we could figure that it has to be something else hurting her? I mean it can't go on forever before it ruptures, right??

Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

get you're brother in law to talk to her and a doctor that can tell her how seriosu it is ....some people have mega pain from it but I just didn't even when it burst..though i could tell you the exact moment it burst..In whole mine was only sore for 24 hours i was getting ready for bed ..sat up and said ouch that hurts ..me husband ..said immediatly that it was my appendics ..and i brushed it off and went to sleep (rather restelssly). The next day the pain was worst for sure ..but liveable.But I was nauseaous and had no appetite.....so I when to the docotr who imediatly took me in to the ER for test and then decided to take them out right then and there. Recovery time was minimal Get her back to the ER......

Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

My brother in law said it didn't happen to him but I thought my sis said it did, and my daughter's doctor said she didn't feel like it was appendicitis, that maybe it was her ovaries, that she wouldn't be okay if she had this for 10months. And it hasn't been 10 months !! Maybe 10 mths from the time she hurt before but that pain went away and it recurred again. This pain has only been there since sunday.

So the ER doctor today seemed very concerned. Didn't think she had an ovarian torsion. And the ER tried to talk sense into this kid, did not work.

I am still trying, isn't working.

I feel like I should be able to overrule her on her decision yet I know they won't let me, when this might be serious, it should make a difference. If I could court order it, I would.

They can lock you up if you come into the ER from a suicide attempt yet they can't make a 17 yr old kid have a contrast CT if she says no, even though that could mean it could kill her.

Feel hopeless here. I'm so scared it's her appendix. She's not hurting on her ovaries. It has radiated across her abdomen but she's tender where her appendix is.

She knows it's serious, trust me, just doesn't matter to the kid to take her health seriously enough to ride over that fear of an IV.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

On a Thursday evening I was flying and on descent I felt nauseous and had dry heaves a few times. On the drive home from the airport I vomited the pretzels I had on the flight, luckily I had taken an airsick back with me.

Friday all day I felt a little sick, like I had a minor case of the flu. I had no stomach pain at all yet.

I went to bed Friday night and woke up at 3am Saturday in screaming pain. I could barely walk and had to hunch over. At the ER my temp shot up to 105 and I couldn't lay flat, I couldn't stretch my legs out straight. An MRI determined it was my appendex, the ER doctor didn't know how bad it was at that point. I was rushed to surgery and my appendix was removed, it had ruptured at some point. I was in the hospital for almost a week since the infection had caused peritonitis.

I guess people get appendicitis w/o it rupturning. Maybe your daughter has that and less pain? Why can't she get an MRI?

Last edited by SanyBelle; 01-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
The only thing I can sit here and assume, if it is her appendix, it will eventually get so bad, that the kid will be begging to let the doctors do anything to help her.
Exactly, if it bursts she will be in the ER begging for them to fix it. There is no way I could live with that pain.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

on second thought I'm not sure if I had a cat scan or MRI. I don't remember them saying anything about contrast dye but I had an iv needle in my arm already so maybe they had just added dye w/o me knowing?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well if you have contrast, you get this warm feeling in your body, and feel like your going to urinate on yourself, kind of hard to not know it's being done.

I've already seen her unable to move from pain, crying her eyes out, hurting when she walks, but the pain med and nausea pill took care of that, so I really have no idea how bad it might of become yesterday.

I guess I will keep her from taking anything else and find out.

MRI, would take 2 or 3 mths to authorize. Can it show the organs clearly without using any contrast? They can't do the MRI in the ER, because her insurance won't pay for it.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
Well if you have contrast, you get this warm feeling in your body, and feel like your going to urinate on yourself, kind of hard to not know it's being done.
It must have been a cat scan I had then. And you have to remember I was out of my mind with pain, fever of 105+, was shaking and shivering.... a warm feeling would have felt nice since the fever made me feel so cold... and it was 5am by then...

Hopefully she'll get the pain I had if it bursts. If not, she can die from the infection.

Can you stop her from taking the pain meds?

Good luck, I hope she comes to her senses!!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 01-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

She just slept for 26 hours, don't know what's up with that, but she seems to be feeling better now. I really hope that's a good sign.

No more pain meds, just letting her take ibuprofen for her period pain.

I hope if she does have this, there is some kind of warning, vomitting, fever, or something..

So far, neither has happened..

Well you can get contrast with a CT or MRI. The CT, your moved partially into it and they tell you to hold your breath while it circles around you, with the MRI, you will be completely inside the machine.

Thanks for the help.

I guess I'll just keep and eye on her and see how this goes.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

HI can't they give her some lorazapam (orally) enough to relax her to get the IV? That's what we have to do w/ my hubby. Usually 2 1 mg works and about 160 lbs. I'd asked the dr. about it. good luck.

Closed Thread