It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

CB8411 HB User
Constipation for the past year and a half

Hi, I don't exactly feel comfortable sharing my name, but I can tell you that I am a male, 17 years old and living in MA. I am 5' 11" and weigh roughly 137 or so llbs (which is sorta skinny for my height)
My story is relatively long, but im really hoping someone will help me because im desperate. The gastrointeroligists (sp?) That I have been seeing have seemed to put verry minimul time and effort into my issues, and im hoping maybe I can find the right answers here, and maybe even a solution.
For the past year and a half I have been suffering from constipation. My situation started last summer on a camping trip with my friend. I have anxiety (which I've been getting over gradually) about using public bathrooms with stalls and stuff. So the week I was gone on vacation I don't think I used the bathroom, maybe once.. but the 9 or so days I was gone I didn't use the bathroom. dirrectly afterwards I went on a vacation with my imediate family and I think for the next 3 days I didn't use the bathroom. So things were really backed up.
I finnally got things going with laxitives and since then I think that's what I had been using up untill maybe febuary the following year? (So 6 months maybe?) I was taking 2 squares of exlax a day and 1 capfull of miralax. I also durring this time developed a bit of an eating dissorder and stopped eating because I was so fed up with it. Eventually I layed off the stimulant laxatives and continued taking 1 capfull of miralax a day (which from what I've read just helps water absorbtion in your stools). This has been working fine but everytime I gradually try to go off it, things get really backed up and I wind up starting all over again.
The gastro- however you spell it- I've been seeing has said, after I told him where things were and how I was going to the bathroom fine, he said that everything was great and he sort of then just left. I asked him if I could ever go off it and he said that id be on it for the rest of my life.
This thought really scares me. Im wondering if the doctor just doesn't remember my story. I've never had to deal with constipation in my life for more than a few days before. I am verry convinced it was onset by my traveling over the summer, as I have read severak places that travel can cause it. So did that one week I was too afraid to use the bathroom screw me up for the rest of my life? Im happy I can finnaly use the bathroom reguraly but I hate having to take miralax, it makes me bloated and if I forget to take it one day its screws up my entire system. I hate the awkwardness that comes with it and I just want to be able to use the bathroom normally again without having to take a laxative every night. Is this possible?
My thought is that its just a matter of getting my system back on track and getting my stomach used to fending for itself. I really need help so if anyone could that would be appreciated.
A few details you might need to know are that: my diet consists of a lot of cheese and grain. I never had a problem with it before but maybe now I do? One day when I was younger all of a sudden I could no longer drink milk, I would get terrible stomach cramps, but cheese and everything else seemed fine. I took a lactose breath test and it all came back fine but I feel it could still be a possibility? Also I have been making it a goal to drink more water a day and excercise more as I've read that can help. I've heard constipation refered to as several things. For me alot of the time I don't feel the urge to go, like my body isn't forcing it out like It should be. This occures even when my stools are soft. Alot of the time I have to strain for a while and normally it doesn't get me anywhere.
Again any help would be great I've been stressing out about this for so long. Its just made my life so uncomfortable and hectic and I just want to be rid of it. If this is reversible, if I haven't perminently destroyed my system, id appreciate it if someone could help me generate a plan to fix things. And thanks for any of those who take the time from their day to even read all this.

Last edited by CB8411; 01-21-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation for the past year and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB8411 View Post
Hi, I don't exactly feel comfortable sharing my name, but I can tell you that I am a male, 17 years old and living in MA. I am 5' 11" and weigh roughly 137 or so llbs (which is sorta skinny for my height)
My story is relatively long, but im really hoping someone will help me because im desperate. The gastrointeroligists (sp?) That I have been seeing have seemed to put verry minimul time and effort into my issues, and im hoping maybe I can find the right answers here, and maybe even a solution.
For the past year and a half I have been suffering from constipation. My situation started last summer on a camping trip with my friend. I have anxiety (which I've been getting over gradually) about using public bathrooms with stalls and stuff. So the week I was gone on vacation I don't think I used the bathroom, maybe once.. but the 9 or so days I was gone I didn't use the bathroom. dirrectly afterwards I went on a vacation with my imediate family and I think for the next 3 days I didn't use the bathroom. So things were really backed up.
I finnally got things going with laxitives and since then I think that's what I had been using up untill maybe febuary the following year? (So 6 months maybe?) I was taking 2 squares of exlax a day and 1 capfull of miralax. I also durring this time developed a bit of an eating dissorder and stopped eating because I was so fed up with it. Eventually I layed off the stimulant laxatives and continued taking 1 capfull of miralax a day (which from what I've read just helps water absorbtion in your stools). This has been working fine but everytime I gradually try to go off it, things get really backed up and I wind up starting all over again.
The gastro- however you spell it- I've been seeing has said, after I told him where things were and how I was going to the bathroom fine, he said that everything was great and he sort of then just left. I asked him if I could ever go off it and he said that id be on it for the rest of my life.
This thought really scares me. Im wondering if the doctor just doesn't remember my story. I've never had to deal with constipation in my life for more than a few days before. I am verry convinced it was onset by my traveling over the summer, as I have read severak places that travel can cause it. So did that one week I was too afraid to use the bathroom screw me up for the rest of my life? Im happy I can finnaly use the bathroom reguraly but I hate having to take miralax, it makes me bloated and if I forget to take it one day its screws up my entire system. I hate the awkwardness that comes with it and I just want to be able to use the bathroom normally again without having to take a laxative every night. Is this possible?
My thought is that its just a matter of getting my system back on track and getting my stomach used to fending for itself. I really need help so if anyone could that would be appreciated.
A few details you might need to know are that: my diet consists of a lot of cheese and grain. I never had a problem with it before but maybe now I do? One day when I was younger all of a sudden I could no longer drink milk, I would get terrible stomach cramps, but cheese and everything else seemed fine. I took a lactose breath test and it all came back fine but I feel it could still be a possibility? Also I have been making it a goal to drink more water a day and excercise more as I've read that can help. I've heard constipation refered to as several things. For me alot of the time I don't feel the urge to go, like my body isn't forcing it out like It should be. This occures even when my stools are soft. Alot of the time I have to strain for a while and normally it doesn't get me anywhere.
Again any help would be great I've been stressing out about this for so long. Its just made my life so uncomfortable and hectic and I just want to be rid of it. If this is reversible, if I haven't perminently destroyed my system, id appreciate it if someone could help me generate a plan to fix things. And thanks for any of those who take the time from their day to even read all this.
I am 50 year old female who had chronic constipation problems all my life so I completely understand where you're coming from. To answer your question about the miralax and having to take this the rest of your life the answer is no and I will tell how to be constipation free. In early March of 2011 I was looking on the internet on ways to combat constipation without the use of stimulant laxatives and prescription drugs. I came across a an article about bowel retraining for constipation. I read the article thoroughly and started on the program the very next morning. Most people have a bowel movement 20-30 minutes after eating a meal and drinking a hot beverage like coffee or tea and the meal has quite a bit of fat in it. (colon contractions)usually kicks in soon after you finished eating. This is when you should go sit on the toilet for about 30 minutes to try to have a bowel movement. Reading or listening to relaxing music helps you to relax your body and all of your muscles. This helps relax the anal and rectal muscles to make it easier for your bowel movement pass through the rectum and out the anus. I have found that slow deep breathing exercises actually help aid in having a pain free bowel movement. Sitting on the toilet everyday for 30 minutes at the same time helps to retrain your bowels to move at the same time. It's time consuming and takes patience and commitment on your part but it's so much easier and pain free way to have a bowel movement. I also put myself on a high fiber diet 25-30 grams a day an drinking 64 oz. a day of water. When I first started sitting on the toilet every day to have a bowel movement my stools were very hard and dry and very painful to pass but I did use a glycerin suppository for the first 2-3 day to get the stool inside the rectum soft. After that I didn't have to use the suppository because I am drinking plenty of water and taking in enough fiber to keep the stools soft enough to pass easily. I did this on my own without the advice of a doctor because I didn't want to take any meds except for the glycerin suppository. I don't understand why doctor's don't teach and educate patients about bowel retraining for helping to keep constipation at bay instead of laxatives and medications. It's so much better and healthier for you to do it in the way nature intended it to be. I think I have a slow transit colon where the stool takes too long to pass through the colon so it becomes hard and dry making it all most impossible to pass without straining and forcing the stool out. I can't skip any days of not having a bowel movement because of this slow transit colon because if I do I have a problem the next time I need to go.

Closed Thread