It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
(male)

notafan HB User
Unhappy Chronic Constipation

Hi everyone. I've been battling constipation for quite some time now. I believe I'm going to call my doctor and ask to see a gastroenterologist (spelled that wrong). I'm assuming that's probably the next step, but figured I'd see what everyone thinks here...

I generally have a bowel movement once a week. I only have bowel movements on weekends or weekend night (Friday night) or in some rare cases, when I have a day off from work, etc. It's very strange in that I have to be completely relaxed, at ease, and have no company, etc. This seems to be why I only have bowel movements on Friday night, Sat, or Sun only. I work Mon-Fri.

I've had to go so bad I had a hard time walking, but yet my body didn't give me the "trigger" that I had to go. It's almost like that button is broken. I'm extremely bloated and it's not unusual for me to lose a few pounds after going to the bathroom.

The past couple of weekends have been a bit different leading to my next issue - what happens if I'm busy or have a stressful weekend? Two weekends ago, this happened. I "went" on Saturday, and felt like I was going to on Sunday...and normally I would have.. but I had company, and was busy so it didn't happen...and the entire week, I had stabbing pains in my abdominal area (near the bladder, it felt like). When I had to go to the bathroom, it made this worse. When the pains were at their worst, I had to completely stop what I was doing and let them run their course.

Again - the same thing happened this past weekend.. I went on Saturday, and again felt like I was going to again, but this never happened, and then Sunday I had to leave an hour after waking and was gone the majority of the day.. Now it's Monday, and I'm right back where I was last week - the pains aren't too bad yet, but I know after a week of not going, they will be! How odd does this sound? I generally take in plenty of fiber (I'm a diet/exercise guy, log my foods, etc). I'm 5'6", 29 years old, and about 138-142lbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

Carmellajay2 HB User
Re: Chronic Constipation

Hi, I suffer with constipation also. I never experience pain that you refered to in your post but I can remember feeling like I was trying to go but nothing would come. Bad feeling. I wouldn't go for days at a time. I'm not saying this is what you have because I'm not a doctor. I'm just telling my story. I eventually started passing blood and mucus whenever I had a bowel movement. Sometimes it would be just blood and mucus. I had to end up going to gastroenterologist. I had a c-scope and I was diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis. Inflammation in the rectum caused by Inflammatory Bowel Disease. My Gastro doctor suggested that I increase my fiber and drink 64 quarts of water everyday. Constipation has a lot to do with what you are eating also. In my case my inflammation in the rectum played a huge part in it too. If it wasn't for the other symptoms I probably never would have went to the gastroenterologist. Go ahead and go......it helped me. Everything is moving along now

Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Hi everyone. I've been battling constipation for quite some time now. I believe I'm going to call my doctor and ask to see a gastroenterologist (spelled that wrong). I'm assuming that's probably the next step, but figured I'd see what everyone thinks here...

I generally have a bowel movement once a week. I only have bowel movements on weekends or weekend night (Friday night) or in some rare cases, when I have a day off from work, etc. It's very strange in that I have to be completely relaxed, at ease, and have no company, etc. This seems to be why I only have bowel movements on Friday night, Sat, or Sun only. I work Mon-Fri.

I've had to go so bad I had a hard time walking, but yet my body didn't give me the "trigger" that I had to go. It's almost like that button is broken. I'm extremely bloated and it's not unusual for me to lose a few pounds after going to the bathroom.

The past couple of weekends have been a bit different leading to my next issue - what happens if I'm busy or have a stressful weekend? Two weekends ago, this happened. I "went" on Saturday, and felt like I was going to on Sunday...and normally I would have.. but I had company, and was busy so it didn't happen...and the entire week, I had stabbing pains in my abdominal area (near the bladder, it felt like). When I had to go to the bathroom, it made this worse. When the pains were at their worst, I had to completely stop what I was doing and let them run their course.

Again - the same thing happened this past weekend.. I went on Saturday, and again felt like I was going to again, but this never happened, and then Sunday I had to leave an hour after waking and was gone the majority of the day.. Now it's Monday, and I'm right back where I was last week - the pains aren't too bad yet, but I know after a week of not going, they will be! How odd does this sound? I generally take in plenty of fiber (I'm a diet/exercise guy, log my foods, etc). I'm 5'6", 29 years old, and about 138-142lbs.

I can understand the pain you must be in not having a bowel movement for week at a time. I am female 50 years old and have always had constipation problems all my life.
I found the only way I can keep from getting constipated is sitting on the toilet every day at the same time for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I do slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have a bowel movement. It relaxes all my muscles so it makes it easier to go without pain. Like you I need to be relaxed and not have any interruptions so I do this an hour before my roommate gets up. The house is quiet so I take the time I need so I don't have to worry that I am taking too much time in the bathroom. I also have to make sure I drink enough water and get enough fiber every day and take Citrucel twice a day. Maybe putting on some relaxing music or reading a good book or magazine will help you to relax. Sometimes taking a warm bath and drinking a hot beverage to get things moving. It takes time,patience and commitment on my part to sit on the toilet every day but if I don't I pay the awful painful price the next day. If I do go more than 2 days in a row without moving my bowels then I use a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool stuck inside my rectum because it's too hard and dry to pass without help. I hope this will help you like it has for me.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
(male)

notafan HB User

Thank you both for the responses. You both had some good input. I did call the doctor yesterday and they are supposed to fax the GI doctor what they need. We'll see what happens next!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

PinkieB HB User

Hi,

I hope your Dr. visit went well. I just wanted to let you know that I have had the same problem for years. The constipation seems to be routine or stress related. I took Amitiza for months and it didn't really help PLUS I had side effects. About two months ago I tried prunes. Yes-prunes. Good old fashioned prunes. 3-5 in the morning and 3-5 in the evening. I pretty much go every day. Stress/company/traveling can still slow me down, but not like it used to.

RV

Closed Thread