It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
(male)

HSaxon HB User
Exclamation Doc banded external hemorrhoids... please help.

Hello there. I've had hemorrhoids since I was a teenager, and I've tried every therapeutic treatment under the sun. They only offered mild relief for my severe hemorrhoids, so last week I finally bit the bullet and saw a colorectal surgeon about my options.

He said I had three hemorrhoids, but that the worst of them was inflamed and had an internal and an external component. He said it could safely be treated with rubber band ligation, which was a relief to hear because I'd heard that procedure was one of the least painful.

I went in this morning to have it done. Right after the procedure, there was a little discomfort and fullness, but nothing too bad. He gave me some non-narcotic pain relievers and sent me on my way. Now, about 18 hours after the banding, I am in excruciating pain. I've never felt a worse pain in my entire life, and I've dealt with some nasty stuff. I just cried in bed for hours.

I got him to call in some hydrocodone for me, but the stuff barely gives me two hours of relief. I did some looking online and it seems like every website says they don't band external hemorrhoids. Was he mistaken in doing this to me ?

I'm in so much pain, and I'm scared because I don't want to have emergency surgery. Is there any risk in him banding the external ones besides the pain ? I'm just worried about complications and I wish I'd never done this at all. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Doc banded external hemorrhoids...please help.

I didn't think docs did the banding any longer.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
(male)

HSaxon HB User
Re: Doc banded external hemorrhoids...please help.

Thought I'd post an update if it might help anyone else later on. It's been one week and I feel much better. The first night was horribly painful, and the second day was pretty rough too. But by the third day, the pain decreased significantly, and I was able to go back to work. I'm not sure if the tissue and band have fallen off, but I'm not hurting or bleeding any more. I'm going to follow up with my doctor to make sure everything's okay.

Another surgeon I saw told me my only option was hemorrhoidectomy, which I am so glad I didn't do first. I'd much rather have three days of pain than six weeks of it. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty painful for those first few days, but it's so nice not to have inflamed tissue down there and to finally be able to use the bathroom without pain.

Closed Thread