It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Question Abdominal CT Scan

Howdy all. I am scheduled for an abdominal/pelvic scan next Thursday. This because of severe constipation (a first ever for me) and stomach bloating. PCP had abdominal x ray done and said I was plugged up!! Gave me Lactulose to take and after about 72 hours it kicked in. However, normal bowel movements haven't completely returned and I am still bloated in my stomach. How bad is the prep for this CT scan...on level with colonoscopy prep? Wish me well and if you ever have the occasion to use Lactulose...don't travel far, it kicks in at the most unusaal times.

Best to all,

Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Abdominal CT Scan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grehound27 View Post
Howdy all. I am scheduled for an abdominal/pelvic scan next Thursday. This because of severe constipation (a first ever for me) and stomach bloating. PCP had abdominal x ray done and said I was plugged up!! Gave me Lactulose to take and after about 72 hours it kicked in. However, normal bowel movements haven't completely returned and I am still bloated in my stomach. How bad is the prep for this CT scan...on level with colonoscopy prep? Wish me well and if you ever have the occasion to use Lactulose...don't travel far, it kicks in at the most unusaal times.

Best to all,

Dave
The CT scan prep is nowhere as hard to take as the colonoscopy prep. You do have to drink a contrast but it doesn't taste as bad as prep for colonoscopy.Lactulose is very hard to regulate how much and you don't have much of a warning before you need to be on the toilet. Almost none at all.
Don't let yourself go beyond 3 days without moving your bowels. I have chronic constipation problems all my life and don't let myself go more than 2 days without moving bowels before I give myself a glycerin suppository to get things moving again. If I don't then it's extremely painful to try to pass the hard stool. I have found that making a scheduled time every day to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement is the only way I can keep from getting constipated. I use slow deep breathing exercises to make it pain free to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
(male)

HSaxon HB User

Aside from the contrast, prep is roughly the same for both CT and colonoscopy - you've got to be cleaned out. To be honest, the CT isn't the best of tests for that purpose because you still have to deal with prep, and if they find anything, they'll have to perform a colonoscopy anyway because they can't repair or biopsy during a CT. Not to mention that the AMA is discouraging the use of CT scans unless absolutely necessary because they've found the radiation exposure involved can be quite dangerous.

Not trying to scare you, but they offered me an abdominal CT and I gave them a big fat "no". Bit the bullet and did the colonoscopy - they found two growths they had to snip so I'm glad I didn't go through with the CT; I would've ended up going through the whole ordeal twice. And as a woman of childbearing years, there's no way I wanted a big dose of radiation right in my abdomen.

I'm not a medical professional, but I've got a biochem degree, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. Just my personal opinion on the procedure.

Last edited by HSaxon; 01-28-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User

Thanks for the info......had a colonoscopy 18 months ago with only a hyperplastic polyp removed....that may be the reason for the suggestion of a CT scan. Had been under some stress and the constipation came on suddenly with gas and stomach rumbling (OD'd on Gas X which Dr said made things worse). Lactuluse did its thing after 48-72 hours but don't need to be on toilet 3-4 times a day with little notice (Don't have chronic C am as regular as the sunrise). Will let you know how it all plays out! Thanks again.

Dave

Closed Thread