It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

wanttobestrong HB User
Please Help URGENT Bowel Problem!

I have unusually large bowel movements, and I am wondering what exactly is causing it. It's clogged up the toilet every time I've used the bathroom for the past month or so, and this time it isn't going down. I've been taking much more fiber than usual for the past week and drinking almost 3/4 of a gallon of water a day. I've also taken stool softeners. They are painful and long and wide. My mom thinks it's my colon...what do you guys have to say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Please Help URGENT Bowel Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobestrong View Post
I have unusually large bowel movements, and I am wondering what exactly is causing it. It's clogged up the toilet every time I've used the bathroom for the past month or so, and this time it isn't going down. I've been taking much more fiber than usual for the past week and drinking almost 3/4 of a gallon of water a day. I've also taken stool softeners. They are painful and long and wide. My mom thinks it's my colon...what do you guys have to say?
How many days in a row do you go without having a bowel movement ? If they are painful because they are hard and dry that means you're not taking in enough water for the amount of fiber you're taking in and are going too many days in a row without having a bowel movement. Try eating a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with ground flax seed, 6 stewed prunes, and a cup of coffee or tea that has caffeine in it. This should help peristalsis kick in about 20-30 after finished eating breakfast. It's a good idea to make this a morning ritual to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I have found doing slow deep breathing exercises make it easier to go without pain. I have had constipation problems all my life and found the only way I can keep from getting constipated is to sit on the toilet every day to have a bowel movement. I don't allow myself to go beyond one day without moving my bowels. If I haven't moved my bowels by the end of the first day I use a glycerin suppository to get me to go and to keep the stool from getting too hard and dried out an not so large that it also makes it more painful to pass.
Our colon needs lots of water in order to help push the stool along down the colon and when we don't get enough water then the colon pulls more water out of the stool making it hard and it just stays in our colon too long making it dry out even more an it doesn't move down the colon fast enough. Also, the longer we go without moving our bowels the more it stretches the colon out and the more stool has too accumulate in the colon before it feels full enough to make peristalsis to kick in. This makes the stool become very large and wide which also makes it more painful too pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread