It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
(female)

themisses HB User
Should I have a Colostomy?

Briefly - since having a hysterectomy I have suffered from bowel problems. Have to digitate to have a BM and suffer daily from pain. I can not work due to these problems and dont have any quality of life. Due to a blood disorder, I can not have the necessary bowel surgery (rectoplexy) to fix these issues.

So my consultant has now suggested that I have a temp colostomy. It is so hard to make this decision myself. He has given me the necessary information and I have met with the stoma nurse as well. But I just want to hear from people who have been through this and are living with an ostomy.

Should I just carry on and try to live with the bowel problems I have or would a colostomy give me back my life (to a certain degree).

Please give me some help and advice so I can make this huge decision.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Should I have a Colostomy?

I don't understand why you can't have the rectoplexy yet you can have the colostomy. They are both extremely invasive surgeries. And if it's a temporary colostomy, that would mean a second, equally invasive surgery later and for what? The problems would still be there, just reconnected! Is there something I'm missing from your explanation?

In any case, I'd get a couple of more opinions. I don't see how a temporary colostomy would solve anything. A permanent, maybe, but that would be an extreme solution.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

themisses HB User

I cant have the rectoplexy because where I am, they only do that operation through the full abdominal surgery and not keyhole. The colostomy would be done by keyhole. So my surgeon reckons that that keyhole colostomy would be achieveable with my blood disorder.

It would be a loop temporary colostomy so that I could have a reversal if I found it too difficult to deal with the colostomy or if my quality of life was not improved.

I know that this is a decision I have to make myself, but I am just looking for some advice from people who are living with colostomies or from people or have had reversals done for whatever reason

Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themisses View Post
Briefly - since having a hysterectomy I have suffered from bowel problems. Have to digitate to have a BM and suffer daily from pain. I can not work due to these problems and dont have any quality of life. Due to a blood disorder, I can not have the necessary bowel surgery (rectoplexy) to fix these issues.

So my consultant has now suggested that I have a temp colostomy. It is so hard to make this decision myself. He has given me the necessary information and I have met with the stoma nurse as well. But I just want to hear from people who have been through this and are living with an ostomy.

Should I just carry on and try to live with the bowel problems I have or would a colostomy give me back my life (to a certain degree).

Please give me some help and advice so I can make this huge decision.
I don't have an ostomy but I have been a home health aide for 20 years and see clients with colostomies and ileostomies. They have their own issues to deal with like skin irritations from where the adhesive is against the skin, leakage around the ostomy,blockages at at stoma and infections around the stoma.
I do suffer from chronic constipation and IBS. The constipation has been a part of my life since I was a young child. I do understand the pain and discomfort from being constipated all the time. I now have changed my diet and bowel habits drastically in the last 10 months. I now make sure I get at least 64 oz. of water a day, 20- 30 grams of dietary fiber a day, a scheduled time to sit on the toilet every day for 30 minutes a day. I use slow deep breathing exercises which helps to make going so much painful than the constant straining forcing hard dry stool out. I also take Citrucel twice a day, eat 6 stewed prunes and a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed every day for breakfast. This daily routine does work but it does take extra time,patience, and vigilance on my part to keep the bowels working on a regular basis. If I go more than 24 hours without a bowel movement then by the end of the first day i use a glycerin suppository to make the stool softer to make it easier to go.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

themisses HB User

Thanks Flipfleury. I properly didnt explain my symptoms too well. Although my consultant refers to my condition as constipation I do not fit into the typical symptoms. My stools are always soft and formed when they eventually come out but that is the problem - they just wont come out!

Like yourself I have done alot of research into food etc. I make sure I eat about 25g of fibre a day and drink 2-3 litres of water. I also take Fybrogel (2 sachets a day). I have gone through the whole bowel retraining process and although it didnt work for me - I still live in hope and do the full routine every day (ie sitting on the toilet for 20 mins at same time every day etc.). I used to eat prunes daily but have realised that they were causing me alot of wind so I have had to cut them out. Initially I found my diet so boring but now it is just a way of life and also a necessity.

My consultant has explained that even if I have a colostomy I would still need to maintain my diet. So my consideration for a colostomy is to decide if my life would improve from what it is at the mo.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
(female)

rm212 HB User

To themisses. You said "I cant have the rectoplexy because where I am, they only do that operation through the full abdominal surgery and not keyhole. The colostomy would be done by keyhole."

Do you live in England? If so, as I understand it, you are entitled to receive treatment on the NHS from primary care trusts (PCTs) other than your local PCT. So, if your local PCT only offers full abdominal rectopexy, and keyhole would be better for you, then under the "choose and book" system you can travel to e.g. Bristol (or Oxford or I believe Reading and a no. of other places) where they do keyhole rectopexy, and be treated there. If it means you avoid having a colostomy (if, indeed, rectopexy might help you) then it would be worth the travel I guess.

Closed Thread