It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

dillonmomof3 HB User
leaky bowels? cause for MAJOR concern?

My husband is having fecal leakage. No warnings, just has leakage during various times of the day. He has gastric reflux fairly often and takes medication for that and I have read that could cause leaky bowels. Along with the leaky bowels he has constipation which to me seems a bit odd. Anyone have any advice or any direction I should turn him? I am concerned for his health and he is really embarassed about this.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
(male)

pantherostar HB User
Re: leaky bowels? cause for MAJOR concern?

I myself had fecal leakage, I went to the doctor, he took my X-Ray and it turned out I was constipated

This is called encopresis, liquid feces moves along the impacted stool and leaks out the anus. Get rid of constipation and it will go away

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: leaky bowels? cause for MAJOR concern?

[QUOTE=dillonmomof3;4921144]My husband is having fecal leakage. No warnings, just has leakage during various times of the day. He has gastric reflux fairly often and takes medication for that and I have read that could cause leaky bowels. Along with the leaky bowels he has constipation which to me seems a bit odd. Anyone have any advice or any direction I should turn him? I am concerned for his health and he is really embarassed about this.
Thank you in advance for your help![/QUOTE

Sometimes when you're very constipated the stools will be very loose and leaks around a large hard mass of stool that's blocking it's way. Try using a glycerin suppository first to soften the stool that's in the rectum that is very hard and dried out. The suppository can take 20 min to several hours to work depending upon how long he has been constipated and how hard the stool is inside his rectum. It's going to be very painful to pass this hard dry stool so I suggest he puts a lot of vaseline on the suppository and then coat the outside anal area to help the stool to come out easier. When he does get the strong urge to have a bowel movement after putting the suppository in after at least 20 min, try to take very slow deep breaths continuously as this helps to relax the rectal and anal muscles making it easier for the hard stool to pass and you're not straining and forcing it out which is extremely painful and can cause hemorrhoids,anal fissures,and hernias. I know the pain from trying to pass hard stool after not having a bowel movement for 2 days or more in a row. I have had constipation issues all my life. I have learned the hard painful way not to allow myself to go beyond more than 24 hours without having a bowel movement. I now have a morning ritual of sitting on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. Using the slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have bowel movement makes it so much easier and no pain trying to pass large hard dry stools. I also found taking Citrucel twice a day helps keep the stool soft and helps maintain regularity. You need to drink lots of water when using Citrucel. I found that 1 8 oz. glass of water before taking the Citrucel and another 8 oz. after helps a lot. I also eat 6 stewed prunes every day at breakfast and a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed. I eat either salad at lunch or I make sure I have a pear,oranges and carrot and celery sticks. Butternut squash,acorn squash,yams,spinach are all good sources of fiber which help to maintain soft stools and make you go regularly. Unfortunately,I had to go 50 years before waking up to the fact the major reason for my chronic constipation was mainly my diet,lack of water,and poor bowel habits ! As long as I do these things every day I don't have a constipation problem.

Closed Thread