It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

Anotherwes HB User
Discharge after Ileostomy

January 5th I had a temporary ileostomy surgery completed. I am recovering well, moving around easier and easier every day, have next to no pains and my osotomy is working well.

My issue is yesterday and today I have started seeing actual fecal matter in my discharge from my anus.

I was told to expect discharge as the mucus from the small bowel drains and it was clear and very small amounts until yesterday. Now I'm needing to go to the bathroom to have a small bowel movement a couple times each day. I had a follow up with my surgeon on Monday and she said everything was looking great but I have not been able to get her on the phone today.

Anyone else have this issue and is it serious or just one of those side effects??

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
(female)

Shellstar HB User
Re: Discharge after Ileostomy

I think you definitely should see a doctor.

I had a temporary ileostomy a few months ago (all reversed successfully now!) and I never passed any fecal matter during that time. I had the bag for about 4 months and during that time I had two 'bowel motions' but they were both just cloudy, mucousy liquid type motions, so I would say your situation is definitely out of the ordinary.

Probably nothing to panic about, but worth checking out. In fact the best advice my gastro-surgeon gave me when I checked out of the hospital was 'don't panic... what goes in, will come out.' And at least I guess this means your bowels are working well!

Great to hear you are not in any pain or having any problems with the ostomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
(male)

Anotherwes HB User
Re: Discharge after Ileostomy

I talked to my surgeon, she was not worried. She said that all the bowels are connected and sometimes with people who have recessed stomas, mine is slightly, some of the discharge will go down thru the J pouch.

It's not ideal but its not a problem and it happens in about 8-10% of temporary ileostomys.

I just wanted to let people know if anyone else has this issue, its not a big deal, it happens so no need to panic, but you definitely want to let your surgeon know.

Thanks much for responding!

Closed Thread