It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
latex gum and bowel disorders from allergy?

Hi They say that if a person is allergic to latex it could be a problem with allergies. If one chews gum with latex in it I suspect it might cause a bowel problem heads up.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: latex gum and bowel disorders from allergy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi They say that if a person is allergic to latex it could be a problem with allergies. If one chews gum with latex in it I suspect it might cause a bowel problem heads up.
I have had latex allergy since the late 1980's and have found that are many foods I can't eat because of the cross reactions from having an allergy to latex. Here are some of the foods that I have found that can cause an allergic reaction: potatoes(white),bananas,cherries,peaches ,plums,apples,passion fruits like kiwi,some melons(although I haven't had a reaction yet to them) Anyone who has a latex allergy needs to carry and epipen and have medic alert bracelet. Beware when you go the dentist office and have any dental work done on your teeth because they use latex dams to keep saliva and your tongue away from the tooth they're working on. I have found that just telling medical personnel you're allergic isn't enough, you have to watch them they don't put latex gloves on or use the latex dam. They're so conditioned to automatically putting on the latex gloves that telling them tends to go in one ear and out the other. Every time you're exposed to the latex the worse the reaction will be. Carry Benadryl with you at all times and the epipen. Make sure the people you're with know about your allergy and how to use the epipen and where to find it. Read labels on all foods and products you use to make sure there is nothing in it you might have a reaction to. In a restaurant ask if they use potato starch to thicken soups and gravies,and white sauces. Sometimes I will take a children's Benadryl when I am going out to eat or going to someone's home just as precaution in case there is something that could cause a reaction. I don't chew gum so I didn't know they can have latex in it. I will have read those labels as well now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: latex gum and bowel disorders from allergy?

Hi Thanks for your reply, has there been bowel problems because of the potatoes or worse like urticaria or uanaphylactic shock? Does wheat give you a problem? What other foods are a problem besides the ones you listed is it posssible to make a more complete list? I read recently where someone said if you avoid wheat for example for a long time and then get some small amount accidentally in the diet it is more likely for a person to have a severe reaction to a small amount than if one had actually had small amounts all along. I am still interested in the list however.

Closed Thread