It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

Stopngo66 HB User
Stool softeners

Is it ok to always have to take a stool softners every day?

Thxs,
L

Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

maddieg1947 HB User
Re: Stool softners

I have been taking 2 sachets of Movicol every day for 19 months, my doctor said it is OK. I am having surgery for a Rectal Intersusception in March and am hoping I won't need them after that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopngo66 View Post
Is it ok to always have to take a stool softners every day?

Thxs,
L
Yes, you can take as many as 6 a day but that only softens the stool it doesn't make you go if you're very constipated. I am a home health aide who takes care of elderly and hospice patients every day. Most of these clients are on pain medications that cause severe constipation . The hospice nurses usually have my clients take 2 sennakot in the morning and 2 stool softeners and then repeat it in the mid afternoon and the same at bedtime and that still isn't enough most of the time to have regular bowel movements, they usually end up having suppositories and enemas every 3-4 days.
I have had constipation issues all my life and have found out the hard way that constipation most of the time is caused by a poor diet,lack of water intake and poor bowel habits. Once I started eating enough fiber and drinking enough water and making it routine to sit on the toilet every day for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement,I don't have a problem with constipation. When I get lazy and don't do any one of these things for more than one day then I have a hard time moving my bowels the next day. When you have constipation problems on a regular basis then you have to learn to be extra vigilant in making sure you move your bowels on consistent regular schedule. I wish I had learned this years ago and could've saved myself from a lot of pain and misery.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

Stopngo66 HB User

My problem is that I can't strain so right now I've been taking just 1 stool softner at bedtime & by 6am I'm ready to go. I did skip a night to see what would happen and my stool is just too hard to pass. I'm drinking water like crazy and getting plenty of fruits & veggies.

What do you think?
Thxs,
L

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopngo66 View Post
My problem is that I can't strain so right now I've been taking just 1 stool softner at bedtime & by 6am I'm ready to go. I did skip a night to see what would happen and my stool is just too hard to pass. I'm drinking water like crazy and getting plenty of fruits & veggies.

What do you think?
Thxs,
L
Even if you were able strain to pass hard stool it's not something you would want to do anyways. Straining and forcing hard stool out on a regular basis can lead to hemorrhoids,anal fissures,rectal prolapse,and hernias.
It's good that you're able to use only 1 stool softener. Eating a bowl of oatmeal every day with ground flax seed, 6 stewed prunes, and taking Citrucel twice a day helps me to maintain regularity and softer stools that are easier and less painful to pass. You may want to measure how much water you're taking in every day because a lot of times you may thinking you're drinking all the time but it may not be enough.
I think I have a very slow transit time between the time I eat to the time to the next time I move my bowels because sometimes even if I am eating enough fiber drinking enough water I don't move my bowels often enough where I don't get very hard stools.

Closed Thread