It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

jlopez81 HB User
sphincterotomy... again

So I've suffered for two years with chronic fissures, and after months and months of unsuccessful treatments I went in for LIS. On Sept 2011, I had my procedure done and everything went ok. Of course, there was the swelling and the pain and the discomfort, but it went away within in a month. By month two I was fully healed and back to living life again.

Update to January 2012, my fissures are back and in full force. My doc shot me up with Botox (worse than getting Novocaine from the dentist). He even had another of his associate help him (which he mentioned my sphincter muscle was higher up than normal... what ever that meant) And my fissures have gotten even worse. The only bad thing I've experience from the Botox injections is the constant awareness that i may pass gas unwanted and its hardly to hold it back. I've tried everything now (2x daily sitz baths, fiber intake, water uptake, regular runner). My doc says the only other option is to go in for LIS AGAIN.

does anyone out there have any advise. any other remedies, homeopathic relief or just plain help.

Last edited by jlopez81; 02-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

DailyHope HB UserDailyHope HB UserDailyHope HB User
Re: sphincterotomy... again

Hi there! †

It is day seven after my LIS surgery. †It has been extremely rough to say the least. †I have never had a Botox injection but my colo-rectal surgeon recommended two over the counter creams ( Balneol and Calmoseptine) for my anal fissure area that have given a little relief before and after the surgery. †Without going through my entire history with my miserable anal fissure, l will say that I have tried almost all over the counter and prescription creams and the Balneol and Calmoseptine worked the best for me. † Make sure to talk to your doctor since I don't know how these will affect the area after a Botox injection. †I had been using witch hazel/aloe wipes for two months for some relief and it turns out it helps in the near future but can really cause issues later ( me being the example). †I was told to throw these and all other over the counter creams out and just use Balneol and Calmoseptine to help nurse the raw area back to normal.

The Balneol is a soothing lotion to be applied to soft tissue paper and used after a bowel movement. † After this , if needed, you can apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine (not too much or your †bum will feel †like a hyperactive peppermint patty). †I find that the Calmoseptine ( which contains Menthol) helps take my mind off of some of the rectal discomfort since my skin is a little raw from the constant use of witch hazel wipes. †These will not cure you but may help alleviate the symptoms and who knows, maybe they will help you heal depending on how bad the anal fissure is this time around.

As a side note, †I am struggling greatly with bowel movements after the surgery. †Did you go through bowel movement agony after your LIS? †It may help me to know how others got through because sometimes it is just horrible and I don't know when it will end. †I'm on stool softners, Miralax, pain meds ( only take when absolutely have to), and nausea meds. †I have never had a problem as bad as this with bowel movements and I'm having trouble coping!

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
(male)

jlopez81 HB User
Re: sphincterotomy... again

Hi DailyHope,

Thanks for the input on the OTC creams, I'll definitely check do my research and give them a try.

I also hope your LIS works out better that it did for me.

After my LIS procedure, I was pretty numbed up down there. I was petrified to even pass gas, but nature calls and i had to and I felt nothing. I know the intense anxiety it feels to even have a BM after the procedure. But, i followed my doctors instructions, just sit there and wait and dont push or strain.

My first BM happened the day after the LIS. It was non-eventful, until i was done. Then the sharp pain shot right up my spine and I just about wanted to punch walls and start crying. But, again, I followed my doctors instructions, dont push or strain. I followed every BM with a sitz bath. And, about a week later the pain was gone. I never used the pain meds because it did nothing for me (even if i doubled up), other than make me loopy. I did continue with my fiber intake and the stool softeners, and my entire diet for two weeks was soups. I wish there was actually something for the swelling. My only issue was really the swelling that was caused by the stitching and eventually went away (by eventually i mean it took well about a month). But my BM's were back to normal (until the fissures back back).

I hope this helps some.

Closed Thread