It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
(female)

Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Hi, DH -

Just checking in. Yesterday I had my second post-op appt. with my crs. It went fairly well - but I did tell him about the burning/itching. He said that if it continued for another week or so, I should call his office and get a prescription to ease the discomfort. --- Today I had a bit of discharge after my bm . . . I'm trying not to worry about it, but maybe I should watch my diet a little more carefully.

My crs wants me to ease off the stool softeners and intake more fiber. I mentioned to him that my stools would then be bulky, and he said that's how they should be - bulky, yet soft. (TMI, I'm sorry!) I don't know - I guess that's what I'll have to do - but I'm hesitant to wean myself off the stool softeners, just yet, especially if I'm still having a little discharge down below. My crs seems to think that I can't hurt the area down there -- but I'm still trying to be careful.

Anyhow, I hope you're doing well and feeling better. You're in my thoughts and prayers - and I wish us, both, healthy and pain-free days ahead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tweetums For This Useful Post:
DailyHope (03-12-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
(female)

DailyHope HB UserDailyHope HB UserDailyHope HB User

Hi Tweetums,

I am so sorry it has taken me this LONG to respond. I just went through a long tedious move and now have to move again within the next several months. I won't belabor my my moving problems though as that could be another very long post! I wanted to check in and see how your recovery is going? Are you able to walk around? Has the burning, itching stopped?

I am able to walk but feel very flushed at times, run a low grade temp on occaisions and still feel a bit of nausea that seems to be following me. The area feels better but is sore after a BM and I have discharge following a BM as well. I also have a wound down there on the outside that is swollen but the crs seems to think this is all very normal so I'm doing my best to not look too far into it. I guess each person will have different things to put up with!

I keep praying and thanking God for every little baby step I make and for just being there. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. When I have a little more time, I will set up a dummy email so we can maybe communicate via email? I am so envious that you have five children! I would love to hear more about the c-section experiences and adoption process. It may be a route that I will need to take someday. We would love to be blessed by children! I have had two non-viable pregnancies so far.... and hope this is a fluke! I feel like we have a lot to offer a child with a loving, warm home and supportive atmosphere. We're also super playful and laugh often.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, health and happiness!

Last edited by DailyHope; 02-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to DailyHope For This Useful Post:
Tweetums (03-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyHope View Post
Hi Tweetums,

I am so sorry it has taken me this LONG to respond. I just went through a long tedious move and now have to move again within the next several months. I won't belabor my my moving problems though as that could be another very long post! I wanted to check in and see how your recovery is going? Are you able to walk around? Has the burning, itching stopped?

I am able to walk but feel very flushed at times, run a low grade temp on occaisions and still feel a bit of nausea that seems to be following me. The area feels better but is sore after a BM and I have discharge following a BM as well. I also have a wound down there on the outside that is swollen but the crs seems to think this is all very normal so I'm doing my best to not look too far into it. I guess each person will have different things to put up with!

I keep praying and thanking God for every little baby step I make and for just being there. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. When I have a little more time, I will set up a dummy email so we can maybe communicate via email? I am so envious that you have five children! I would love to hear more about the c-section experiences and adoption process. It may be a route that I will need to take someday. We would love to be blessed by children! I have had two non-viable pregnancies so far.... and hope this is a fluke! I feel like we have a lot to offer a child with a loving, warm home and supportive atmosphere. We're also super playful and laugh often.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, health and happiness!
Hi, DH -

I'm glad to hear from you. I was getting a bit worried, thinking maybe you had suffered a huge setback. Glad to hear you're alright.

I'm still swollen, too -- it's not nearly as big as it was . . . but for some reason, today it's been irritated, just kind of burning and aggravated. I'm so, soooo tired of this. Geez, our surgeries were a month ago - and though we're better, I would think we might be doing a little better than we seem to be doing.

I'm wondering if maybe my bms are too firm, at this point. Sorry, TMI, I know - and though my crs doesn't seem to think I can damage the area, I really wonder if I need to get back on the Miralax. I just might. --- I'm walking alright, for the most part, and I'm functioning alright -- but, I still have this discomfort that seems to be more troublesome today.

Ah, moving . . . I know all about it. My parents moved about 19 times in 30 years of marriage (my father was restless). My current hubs and I have had five, different houses in about 13 years of marriage. I hope we've finally landed in our permanent spot. I think we have. --- Anyhow, I totally sympathize with you about your moving.

I'll pray for God's best for you, with regard to your health and desire to start a family. Adoption is always an option -- I adopted my daughter after I already had three boys - and her adoption was an international adoption, and my first husband and I had to travel to So. America to go get her and finalize the adoption there. I'll tell you about that, sometime.

Anyway - I do hope you're on the mend. This type of surgery can be tough to get past -- at least, that's been my experience, thus far.

Take care, and please keep in touch, when you have some time. Have a lovely, painfree evening.

Last edited by Tweetums; 02-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.

DailyHope (03-12-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #19
(female)

Oh no! My newest issue is a yeast infection.=(. I still feel so feverish. It is really hard to gauge what is causing my flushed feeling. I will write more soon when I am feeling better!

Hope you are healing with each new day!

Tweetums (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
(female)

Hi, DH -

It's been awhile since I've heard from you - I know you mentioned having a yeast infection. I hope you're feeling better.

I had a setback today - blood with my bm (which was quite hard to pass). Of course, I'm completely upset about this, especially after feeling like I had turned the corner on this whole ordeal. I just saw my crs last Thursday, for a post-op check, and he said I was healing just fine. I can't see him again until July, because he's going to Afghanistan for three months. --- So, after seeing the blood today, I called his exchange, and one of his crs partners called me. He said the it's not uncommon to have bleeding - and he advised me to get back on Colace.

So, anyhow, I'm depressed and worried. Sometimes I think I'll never be better.

Anyhow, I truly do hope you're better. Take care, and write if you feel like it. --- SB

Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
(female)

Hi Tweetums,

I am right there with you and this is kinda creepy but I had the same problem today. I have been having normal bowel movements and the area is still very sore. Today, out if the blue, I had the urge to go and it was horrible. Nothing came out but blood! I tried again a little while ago and was able to unblock it. I won't give all the gross details but it was super rough. I will be joining you on the colace!

I have been meaning to keep in touch but in addition to the recovery, things have been rough. They are so bad that they have become COMICAL because there are just too many awful things which I will tell you about when we start emailing each other. I am almost certain that you will laugh so hard you will cry when you hear what I have been through and why I haven't been posting lately!

I have been praying for you every night and we will get through this, I think it is just going to take a LOT of time. I also started reading the bible. I keep trying to be happy for all that is good through some of these sour times!

I hope you get this! Talk to you soon!

Last edited by DailyHope; 03-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Tweetums (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
(female)

Hi, DH - I hope you're feeling better. I'm still dealing with my problem, though I'm back on the Miralax. I'll try to post an update later.

DailyHope (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
(female)

Hi Tweetums!

I hope we both get better! I figure a lot of people are probably following our posts trying to decide whether or not to get this type of surgery and I thought I would take this oportunity to pass on what I have learned via this experience in case this should help someone out there in pain....

1) It has been a very rough recovery (as you can see from my posts) BUT if I had to do it again, I would. I have other symptoms now but do not have anywhere near the excruciating pain I had before the surgery so in that respect, the surgery helped.

2) Not everyone will have the same issues after a surgery. I got an infection that is rare to get. I received antibiotics, it has cleared up and I am getting through. Please don't discount a surgery based on rare things that could happen. If the pain is unbearable, and you have exhausted non-surgery treatments, some risks are worth it.

3) Healing times vary greatly. Some heal in one week, others in many many weeks and the healing times given are based on an average of what is seen. My healing time after the fissurectomy and LIS will be about 2 months, maybe longer but lots of people get this surgery and are better in a very short amount of time as you will see from other posts. Prepare to give yourself enough time to heal regardless.

4) Make sure you get a highly experienced, compassionate colo-rectal surgeon to help you through. You need someone you can trust and can count on. My crs has been there every step of the way and I am grateful for him. I had to go through some not so great, bitter ones before finding a gem! Don't settle for anyone who doesn't make you feel comfortable.

I'm sure I am missing some things but you have to do what is right for you and I understand what a frightening experience this can be. You are not alone.

I hope everyone finds relief for their pain. I am still recovering and pray that eventually, I can put this mean fissure experience behind me. I was lucky to find Tweetums, as she has given me support and understands the agony of a rough recovery. Thank you Tweetums!

I will continue to post my progress, hopefully with the last one being a happy I am healed post!

Last edited by DailyHope; 03-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Tweetums (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
(female)

Well said, DH. That's exactly what I would write (about this experience), too.

Just because recovery for some people takes longer, it doesn't mean that everyone will take longer to heal. I really believe that because I had a fissurectomy, in addition to the LIS, it has made my recovery time longer. DH, you might feel the same way . . .

Having a great crs is very, very important. My doc is great - he listens - and even more than that, he understands the nature of the beast - the awful anal fissure monster. My doc said that I had two choices -- I could live with the fissure or have the surgery. I decided to have surgery, because no matter how the recovery would go, it couldn't be any worse than the fissure misery.

Yes, the recovery is challenging - but I do hope to get through it and feel better. Though I'm still sore and tender from the surgery, and have had some post-op issues to deal with, I don't have the stabbing, throbbing fissure pain, anymore - and that's a huge relief.

I will pray for us, all, to be healed and feel better, so that we can get on with our lives.

Thank you, DH, for being there to support me. It's great to find support on these boards, from other people who are going through the same experience.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
(male)

Terryisbetter HB User

To Tweetums and DailyHope, Your dialog has been very helpful in my recovery as I have been reading from afar. I thought I would offer some insight and hope for those considering LIS and related surgeries. I had been suffering for over a year with what was diagnosed as a fissure. Miserable existence is the most concise and efficient two word description I can come up with to describe my life pre-op. After reading on another site like this of people's horrid experiences I was afraid to move forward. I had gone to the doctor again finally fed up with the fissure pain and trying all the creams, and other non invasive methods he suggested. He ( My GP ) referred me to a surgical practice next door to him and a general surgeon at that. Being in too much pain for a digital exam, he said we'll put you out, then take a look and see whats going on. I was afraid but with much prayer and faith in God ( and my regular Dr. ) agreed. I was told to expect one of three procedures to be done, they did all three. Lateral internal sphincterotomy with fissurectomy and hemmoroidectomy. All three of which I believe I have just misspelled. My recovery was way better than I had imagined until three days later I developed an abcess which had to be drained. A horrible experience in itself. After this everything has been relatively great compared to life before. My biggest issues were pain and soreness at the incision site and itching. It has now been 4 weeks to the day of my original surgery and life is almost normal. Metamucil and stool softeners every day, lots of water, and faithful belief in God's healing power has brought me this far. I am trying to lay aside my fear of any of my problems returning but am grateful I had the surgery. Should have done it long ago. I hope you two have recovered or if not are encouraged by my story. Your dialog has comforted many I am sure. I will continue to monitor this site and hope you-all are doing well.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryisbetter View Post
To Tweetums and DailyHope, Your dialog has been very helpful in my recovery as I have been reading from afar. I thought I would offer some insight and hope for those considering LIS and related surgeries. I had been suffering for over a year with what was diagnosed as a fissure. Miserable existence is the most concise and efficient two word description I can come up with to describe my life pre-op. After reading on another site like this of people's horrid experiences I was afraid to move forward. I had gone to the doctor again finally fed up with the fissure pain and trying all the creams, and other non invasive methods he suggested. He ( My GP ) referred me to a surgical practice next door to him and a general surgeon at that. Being in too much pain for a digital exam, he said we'll put you out, then take a look and see whats going on. I was afraid but with much prayer and faith in God ( and my regular Dr. ) agreed. I was told to expect one of three procedures to be done, they did all three. Lateral internal sphincterotomy with fissurectomy and hemmoroidectomy. All three of which I believe I have just misspelled. My recovery was way better than I had imagined until three days later I developed an abcess which had to be drained. A horrible experience in itself. After this everything has been relatively great compared to life before. My biggest issues were pain and soreness at the incision site and itching. It has now been 4 weeks to the day of my original surgery and life is almost normal. Metamucil and stool softeners every day, lots of water, and faithful belief in God's healing power has brought me this far. I am trying to lay aside my fear of any of my problems returning but am grateful I had the surgery. Should have done it long ago. I hope you two have recovered or if not are encouraged by my story. Your dialog has comforted many I am sure. I will continue to monitor this site and hope you-all are doing well.
Terry, I'm so glad you're doing well. Thank you for telling your story.

IMO, fissures do not get better on their own OR stay better on their own. I'm very glad I had the surgery, even though it's taken me quite a long time to feel pretty good down below. Again, I think every person's healing time is different.

I rely on my faith in God, as well. My fissure problem became a NIGHTMARE for me, a year ago. I suffered for months, until finally having the right crs (he was crs #3) tell me that surgery would be the option to help me. So, I've been on quite a journey, with ups and downs along the way. I'm most glad that the horrendous, MISERABLE pain is gone. Gone. --- I still try to manage my diet, and I'm still eating lots of fiber and drinking water - but that's okay.

Healing is possible - but for me (and for you, and so many others), surgery was the only way I could heal.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #27
(male)

Terryisbetter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetums View Post
Terry, I'm so glad you're doing well. Thank you for telling your story.

IMO, fissures do not get better on their own OR stay better on their own. I'm very glad I had the surgery, even though it's taken me quite a long time to feel pretty good down below. Again, I think every person's healing time is different.

I rely on my faith in God, as well. My fissure problem became a NIGHTMARE for me, a year ago. I suffered for months, until fin***y having the right crs (he was crs #3) tell me that surgery would be the option to help me. So, I've been on quite a journey, with ups and downs along the way. I'm most glad that the horrendous, MISERABLE pain is gone. Gone. --- I still try to manage my diet, and I'm still eating lots of fiber and drinking water - but that's okay.

Healing is possible - but for me (and for you, and so many others), surgery was the only way I could heal.

Truly, my pleasure to do so. This forum seems to be alot more positive and constructive than others I have seen. Other boards had terrified me and almost made me chicken out. Re***y don't know what I would have done. I have read some re***y horrific threads about this. But the more I thought about it I wondered how many people take the time to go back and share thier positive experiences....not many I would guess. This board had many. How is DailyHope doing do you know? You two seemed to re***y share and comfort each other. Hope she is doing well. I shared this forum with my parents who are having a multitude of health problems and thought this would be helpful to them. Both are in thier late 70's and facing serious issues.
My step father is computer savvy and should be able to check it out. It is very helpful in my opinion to be able to read and share about our problems with people who are facing similar situations. Who would have thought someone could forge new friendships related to butt disorders? Unbelievable. I read where someone started discussing this with another paitient in the waiting room of thier Dr.'s office. A similar situation happened to me with a young mother of two of *** people. Wierd....a middle aged man...striking up a conversation with someone like this over our similar problems....just plain wierd...but oddly comforting at the same time. She and her husband were both patients of my G.P. and were members of his church. My Dr. had recruited me to go on a mission trip to Bolivia because one of his other patients had to bail because of her LIS and fissures and Hemmies.....turns out it was this woman....I had agreed and was planning to go but I had to bail because of the same reason. I suggested to my doctor should recruit out of another pool of people.....anyway, I thank you and hope *** is well. LIS surgery is proving a blessing straight from God for me so far and would suggest it for those in misery over this. Educate yourselves and read as much as possible. Lots of water, stool softeners, and fiber until you make an educated decision would be my advice, and re***y lean on your doctor to give you the real skinny as to what to expect. P.S. Not sure why when I type an A followed by an L and another L, it appears as three asterisks.....thats wierd too but whatever.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryisbetter View Post
Truly, my pleasure to do so. This forum seems to be alot more positive and constructive than others I have seen. Other boards had terrified me and almost made me chicken out. Re***y don't know what I would have done. I have read some re***y horrific threads about this. But the more I thought about it I wondered how many people take the time to go back and share thier positive experiences....not many I would guess. This board had many. How is DailyHope doing do you know? You two seemed to re***y share and comfort each other. Hope she is doing well. I shared this forum with my parents who are having a multitude of health problems and thought this would be helpful to them. Both are in thier late 70's and facing serious issues.
My step father is computer savvy and should be able to check it out. It is very helpful in my opinion to be able to read and share about our problems with people who are facing similar situations. Who would have thought someone could forge new friendships related to butt disorders? Unbelievable. I read where someone started discussing this with another paitient in the waiting room of thier Dr.'s office. A similar situation happened to me with a young mother of two of *** people. Wierd....a middle aged man...striking up a conversation with someone like this over our similar problems....just plain wierd...but oddly comforting at the same time. She and her husband were both patients of my G.P. and were members of his church. My Dr. had recruited me to go on a mission trip to Bolivia because one of his other patients had to bail because of her LIS and fissures and Hemmies.....turns out it was this woman....I had agreed and was planning to go but I had to bail because of the same reason. I suggested to my doctor should recruit out of another pool of people.....anyway, I thank you and hope *** is well. LIS surgery is proving a blessing straight from God for me so far and would suggest it for those in misery over this. Educate yourselves and read as much as possible. Lots of water, stool softeners, and fiber until you make an educated decision would be my advice, and re***y lean on your doctor to give you the real skinny as to what to expect. P.S. Not sure why when I type an A followed by an L and another L, it appears as three asterisks.....thats wierd too but whatever.
Hi, again, Terry -

So nice to read about your positive experiences - and yes, you're right . . . there are many BAD fissure/LIS experiences posted on alot of health boards, so it's nice to read when someone is doing well. Like you said, it's amazing how friendships can be made over a subject like backside issues. I would think Daily Hope is doing well, after having a similar surgery as I had, at around the same time as I had. I know that I've needed every bit of all these months to feel better down below - and that said, I still might opt to have a minor adjustment.

My area seems to have healed in a slightly stretched way - so, I'm thinking of having the area clipped, to relax things. Quite frankly, I don't relish having anything else done there - but if it makes things more comfortable in the long run, I just might go forward with it. It would be in in-office procedure, not requiring stitches - just cauterization of the clipped areas. Still, I'm a bit hesitant. --- Who would think that the backside area would be such involved and cause such problems to a person??

I haven't personally met anyone who has had a fissure problem - but I know they're out there. I guess some people don't care to discuss such matters, but I don't mind talking about it with anyone who will listen, lol. I'll talk about anything having to do with medical matters.

Did you say you're a month out of surgery? I hope you continue to heal and do well. It's a tough experience to go through a fissure - and those out there who never deal with fissures have no idea how disabling and traumatic a fissure can be in a person's life.

Again, thanks for sharing, as we all need good support people while going through something like this.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
(female)

Smile Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Thank you Terryisbetter for replying to the post! It reminded me to come back and discuss my progress. I am doing much better in comparison to the awful pain I had before the surgery. The pain from the fissure was devastating and you are so right “miserable existence” is the best way to describe my experience. You had three procedures so my heart goes out to you! My fissure was deep and my recovery after surgery was long and tedious! It took about 6 months before I was on my way to healing. I tried everything in an attempt to avoid surgery and in the end, surgery (LIS and fissurectomy) was my only option. I am able to function now and live my life quite normally. I have a few left over issues that still tug at me but if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the surgery because it helped me immensely.

I believe I left off around March 2012 so let me bring anyone reading this thread up to date. I went through some very odd and uncomfortable things that were unique to my body and not a common factor in this kind of surgery. After my rectal infection (occurred after the LIS and fissurectomy) and several months of waiting, my wound from the surgery stopped healing. It was an emotional time for me to come to the realization that my body was doing something abnormal and this wasn’t supposed to happen. After giving the wound ample time to heal and not having any progress, my surgeon scheduled a second surgery for May 2012 in an effort to remove the abscessed/ulcerated non-healing tissue so that the area would hopefully heal correctly this time. Please note that even the abscessed non-healing wound was better than living with the pre-surgery fissure pain!

After the surgery, I learned that the wound had become a surface fistula and a fistulectomy was performed to clear the tunnel that had formed. I could not find ANY other cases on the web of this happening to someone else. The second surgery was not as hard on me as the first and once I got pass the initial week, I started to gradually heal. It was a much faster recovery because the fistula only involved surface skin. There were times where I thought oh no, the area is not healing again and I was scared there might be another surgery but I made it through and I can function normally again. The only thing that lingers is minor discomfort during a bowel movement. My colo-rectal surgeon told me recently that the area is healed completely but there is a scar from the surgery. The scar can act up from time to time causing some very minor discomfort since it is on a sensitive region. The discomfort does not stop me from living my life and I believe the surgeon saved me from the miserable pain and devastation I experienced from the fissure. I am extremely grateful!

I want to take a moment to introduce another factor that could have affected my healing to emphasize that this experience is unique to me. In light of all the oddities of my healing and a list of other extremely unusual occurrences in the last year, I knew something was wrong with my health. I requested blood work be done through my allergist when I had systemic itching accompanied by hives for three months. I had done my own research and read that chronic hives can sometimes be caused by thyroid issues. I have a family history of hypothyroidism and it was worth getting the results. My allergist thanked me for requesting the blood work and told me he found something! I have an autoimmune thyroid condition called Hashimotos. Luckily, my allergist knew to test for thyroid antibodies when I mentioned I have a family history of hypothyroidism. I am grateful for his expertise and open-mindedness!

I have read many posts from people who had the same surgery as me and healed in a ridiculously short amount of time! Most people post when they have unusual issues happening but it is important to know that there are many more people who don’t post because they had a speedy recovery and moved on! I went through a lot and wanted to seek support during this low point in my life.

My colo-rectal surgeon was amazing the whole way through. He always had a cheerful attitude and was willing to stick by my side until I felt better. He is fantastic and this is why I emphasize getting a good colo-rectal surgeon. None of us expect anything to go wrong and for most nothing does go wrong BUT in the event that you are one of the exceptions like me, it helps to have a surgeon who will stick by you and cheer you up! Also, it is truly necessary to find support when you are going through this type of thing. Most people do not understand how this can rip your life from underneath you and so it really helps to have someone to talk to who understands and has been through a similar issue. Even the most optimistic person can be broken by this kind of pain. When I started talking to Tweetums on the forum, it brought me relief. I feel like she, in addition to my husband, colo-rectal surgeon and God, got me through one of the worst times of my life and I am forever grateful for people like Tweetums. Also, thanks again Terryisbetter for sharing your story and reminding me that I needed to finish mine nine months later so people can see that even with a rough recovery, I got my life back!

My heart goes out to all of you going through rectal issues!

Last edited by DailyHope; 10-30-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyHope View Post
Thank you Terryisbetter for replying to the post! It reminded me to come back and discuss my progress. I am doing much better in comparison to the awful pain I had before the surgery. The pain from the fissure was devastating and you are so right “miserable existence” is the best way to describe my experience. You had three procedures so my heart goes out to you! My fissure was deep and my recovery after surgery was long and tedious! It took about 6 months before I was on my way to healing. I tried everything in an attempt to avoid surgery and in the end, surgery (LIS and fissurectomy) was my only option. I am able to function now and live my life quite normally. I have a few left over issues that still tug at me but if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the surgery because it helped me immensely.

I believe I left off around March 2012 so let me bring anyone reading this thread up to date. I went through some very odd and uncomfortable things that were unique to my body and not a common factor in this kind of surgery. After my rectal infection (occurred after the LIS and fissurectomy) and several months of waiting, my wound from the surgery stopped healing. It was an emotional time for me to come to the realization that my body was doing something abnormal and this wasn’t supposed to happen. After giving the wound ample time to heal and not having any progress, my surgeon scheduled a second surgery for May 2012 in an effort to remove the abscessed/ulcerated non-healing tissue so that the area would hopefully heal correctly this time. Please note that even the abscessed non-healing wound was better than living with the pre-surgery fissure pain!

After the surgery, I learned that the wound had become a surface fistula and a fistulectomy was performed to clear the tunnel that had formed. I could not find ANY other cases on the web of this happening to someone else. The second surgery was not as hard on me as the first and once I got pass the initial week, I started to gradually heal. It was a much faster recovery because the fistula only involved surface skin. There were times where I thought oh no, the area is not healing again and I was scared there might be another surgery but I made it through and I can function normally again. The only thing that lingers is minor discomfort during a bowel movement. My colo-rectal surgeon told me recently that the area is healed completely but there is a scar from the surgery. The scar can act up from time to time causing some very minor discomfort since it is on a sensitive region. The discomfort does not stop me from living my life and I believe the surgeon saved me from the miserable pain and devastation I experienced from the fissure. I am extremely grateful!

I want to take a moment to introduce another factor that could have affected my healing to emphasize that this experience is unique to me. In light of all the oddities of my healing and a list of other extremely unusual occurrences in the last year, I knew something was wrong with my health. I requested blood work be done through my allergist when I had systemic itching accompanied by hives for three months. I had done my own research and read that chronic hives can sometimes be caused by thyroid issues. I have a family history of hypothyroidism and it was worth getting the results. My allergist thanked me for requesting the blood work and told me he found something! I have an autoimmune thyroid condition called Hashimotos. Luckily, my allergist knew to test for thyroid antibodies when I mentioned I have a family history of hypothyroidism. I am grateful for his expertise and open-mindedness!

I have read many posts from people who had the same surgery as me and healed in a ridiculously short amount of time! Most people post when they have unusual issues happening but it is important to know that there are many more people who don’t post because they had a speedy recovery and moved on! I went through a lot and wanted to seek support during this low point in my life.

My colo-rectal surgeon was amazing the whole way through. He always had a cheerful attitude and was willing to stick by my side until I felt better. He is fantastic and this is why I emphasize getting a good colo-rectal surgeon. None of us expect anything to go wrong and for most nothing does go wrong BUT in the event that you are one of the exceptions like me, it helps to have a surgeon who will stick by you and cheer you up! Also, it is truly necessary to find support when you are going through this type of thing. Most people do not understand how this can rip your life from underneath you and so it really helps to have someone to talk to who understands and has been through a similar issue. Even the most optimistic person can be broken by this kind of pain. When I started talking to Tweetums on the forum, it brought me relief. I feel like she, in addition to my husband, colo-rectal surgeon and God, got me through one of the worst times of my life and I am forever grateful for people like Tweetums. Also, thanks again Terryisbetter for sharing your story and reminding me that I needed to finish mine nine months later so people can see that even with a rough recovery, I got my life back!

My heart goes out to all of you going through rectal issues!
That was a very good and informative update, DailyHope. It's so easy to get discouraged and depressed with a fissure - and people need to not give up! I'm much, MUCH better off than I was, even with my little surface area that sometimes acts up. At least my fissure is gone, along with the horrible pain.

For me, and I know as for you, too, it's been a long journey - but well worth the determination needed to get better. AND, like you said, having a good and understanding CRS is very, very important.

Closed Thread