It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #46
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: california
Posts: 46
Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Hi, Depressedmama -

I'm writing to offer my support.

First of all, you're very early in your recovery. It's possible that you'll need quite a bit more time, before everything will feel somewhat normal, again. Everyone's recovery time is different -- so, please give yourself more time. The area will be very tender for awhile - there's no getting around that part - so, just make sure to keep the area clean, and watch for any disturbances.

As to the red pimple, just keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger, you'll want the doctor to look at it, asap, just in case. Otherwise, maybe it's just an inflamed or irritated area from the surgery and will ease up on its own.

I had an LIS and a fissurectomy, and I had a huge swollen area, that took weeks to subside. Like I said, complete healing can take awhile. I'm over a year past my surgery, and I've only felt fairly well for the past couple of months, with regard to pain and irritation down there. I do believe that my having the fissurectomy, in addition to the LIS, is what made my recovery time take so long - plus, I'm a slow healer, anyhow.

Please hang in there. Once you get past your recovery, I'm sure you'll be so glad you had the surgery done. I know I am.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Depressedmama HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Tweetums-
I replied back but not sure where it went... Anyways, thank you for your support. I just am disappointed because I thought it would be a easy recovery with minimal pain like my dr had told me... And it's been the opposite. I have my 2 week post op with her next week. Sure hoping I start feeling better sooner than later. I can't imagine how you have felt dealing with recovery for a year! I hope that's not my case... I wanna have another baby within the next year. This thing just leaves a person feeing very emotionally drained. Blah.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #48
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: california
Posts: 46
Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depressedmama View Post
Tweetums-
I replied back but not sure where it went... Anyways, thank you for your support. I just am disappointed because I thought it would be a easy recovery with minimal pain like my dr had told me... And it's been the opposite. I have my 2 week post op with her next week. Sure hoping I start feeling better sooner than later. I can't imagine how you have felt dealing with recovery for a year! I hope that's not my case... I wanna have another baby within the next year. This thing just leaves a person feeing very emotionally drained. Blah.
Hi, DM - I just got your message here.

You're right - it IS disappointing to have such a "minor" and "minimal" type of surgery turn out to be very hard to get past. I've gone through the exact same thing - and not only that, my bottom area (though MUCH better) is still not like it once was. My surgical area sometimes pains me and gets a bit tender - and it's a reminder that I have to sometimes sit on a pillow, especially if a chair is hard or if I'm traveling a long distance.

Still, I'm glad I had the surgery. I couldn't have gone on with the fissure, which made my life total and complete agony, while I had it.

I know that, given enough healing time, you'll eventually get past this. It does help to know that other have gone through this, struggled, and eventually healed to a reasonable degree. I've been very slow to heal - and the incision area is still a bit tender - but like I said, it's much better. I just sometimes have to deal with the tenderness there - like we would with most any surgery. It's just not a pleasant area to have pain in!

I'm glad you're keeping in touch here. Please let us (me) know how your next appointment goes. I will pray for your healing.

Last edited by Tweetums; 05-01-2013 at 08:41 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1
jwhedonfan HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakia20 View Post
Hi there. I wanted to share my recent experience with spincterotomy. I had 2 very bad fissures and I've had them for about 8 months. I had the procedure last Monday, Feb 18th. I was off work then for just 2 days after surgery, going back to work Thursday. It was painful, so I did take vicodin which helped me. I took stool softeners and fiber which took away any constipation from the meds. My first bowel movements weren't really that painful per say, but stung afterwards which was cured with a sitz bath and tucks pads. I would say within 5 days I was having BM's with minimal pain. I do use tucks pads instead of toilet paper. I would consider my downtime a little less than a week. I had my follow up today and the doctor was surprised at my quick healing. I guess I am someone who faired easier, even with 2 fissures. I would have to say I would recommend this procedure to others because for me it worked. I'm feeling so much better and the fissures were definitely more painful, as a whole, than this surgery was (for me). If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer.
Are you still happy with the surgery? Have you
Had any problems?
Thank you for any information you can give me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #50
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
PostOptimist HB User
Smile Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Hi, I'm new here. I had my LIS 3 days ago and am feeling pretty ok. Before I made the decision to have the surgery, I lived with a fistula for 5 yrs. I saw at least 6 or 7 docs before I was told what I actually had. Long story short... Although I'm recovering through the most crucial part of it, I wanna ask: does anyone regret having the surgery or has anyone had a recurrence? It took me almost 4 months to decide to do it. The decision was made by reading posts like these; I didn't kno there was so much support from others about this prob.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #51
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1
JennyOD HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Stakia, I'm having the surgery in 2 days. Your post has helped persuade me to carry through with it. Thanks for sharing your story, it helped me immensely! Hope you're still feeling well. All the best, Jenny

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #52
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
newmom13 HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

So I have never posted on anything like this before but I feel so strongly about this specific issue.

I suffered from an anal fissure due to child birth. I suffered for 4 months before I got the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy. Let me just say, if you are considering it, it's a no brainer. Get It!! The pain of a BM with a fissure is 1million times worse than the first few days after surgery. I will never get back those few months I suffered through and tried to heal naturally and with the Nitroglycerin medicine. I finally demanded to see a specialist after being sent home time and time again. Within 3 minutes of my apt with him he said surgery is a must. Within 48 hours I was in surgery and my real recovery began.

From what I can understand, from reading other posts, my fissure was around an 8 on a scale from 1 to 10. Which was pretty unbearable. I tried stool softeners, fiber products, sitz baths, dermoplast, every topical medication invented, and more. After a month or so of the fissure I would heal for about a weak only to have it reoccur again.

My experience from the surgery was pretty fair. I went into the surgery in more pain than when I came out. But I was in pain for a few days. I didn't have a BM that day or the next. The 2nd day after surgery I had my first BM and it was pretty difficult. The pain wasn't the same as like with the fissure, but I was constipated from the Norco and it took about 45 min and stung for about a half an hour. BUT, that was still better than a BM with a fissure.

I continued to have BM everyday and each time was easier and easier. I would say my first "good" BM came exactly one week post surgery. There was a little bit of stinging, but only where the incision site was. A sitz bath took that right away. (By the way use Dermoplast. I got that trick from having a baby. It numbs you down there)

I started with taking Citrucel twice daily, 2 stool softeners, an unmeasurable amount of water, and no "bulky" foods. I am now only taking Citrucel once every other day and still take the stool softeners, just in case.

Please get the surgery. Its over in 30 minutes, and you will finally start to heal after pain that only a few of us can understand.

Good Luck,

& God Bless

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #53
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3
everhope HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Tweetums, it is with interest that I have read your posts concerning your prolonged recovery after your LIS procedure. I am 5 months post LIS, hemorrhoidectomy, and tag excision. At 2 months post-op, I decided to get back to my active self. At that point I had been feeling pretty good for the previous 2 weeks. After doing a stretching exercise one morning, I started feeling this ache in my lower buttock and close to the spincterotomy site. It has been present since then. Surgeon says all is well. The skin near the surgical site is also tender. Some days are worse than others. I carry a cushion to sit on wherever I go. My question to you is this, did you find certain activity aggravated your pain symptoms? Activities like walking up stairs or just long walks in general? I have added swimming to my exercise routine but even certain leg movements with that are limited. I do hope you are still participating on this forum as your symptoms certainly seem to mirror mine. It gives me hope that you did improve with time but this is frustrating. Thanks so much for your posts!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #54
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: california
Posts: 46
Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by everhope View Post
Tweetums, it is with interest that I have read your posts concerning your prolonged recovery after your LIS procedure. I am 5 months post LIS, hemorrhoidectomy, and tag excision. At 2 months post-op, I decided to get back to my active self. At that point I had been feeling pretty good for the previous 2 weeks. After doing a stretching exercise one morning, I started feeling this ache in my lower buttock and close to the spincterotomy site. It has been present since then. Surgeon says all is well. The skin near the surgical site is also tender. Some days are worse than others. I carry a cushion to sit on wherever I go. My question to you is this, did you find certain activity aggravated your pain symptoms? Activities like walking up stairs or just long walks in general? I have added swimming to my exercise routine but even certain leg movements with that are limited. I do hope you are still participating on this forum as your symptoms certainly seem to mirror mine. It gives me hope that you did improve with time but this is frustrating. Thanks so much for your posts!
Hi, everhope -

Yes, I'm still around - and whenever someone posts on this forum, I usually get a notification email about that.

It sounds like you had a lot done, down below. I had both an LIS and a fissurectomy - and yes, my recovery was a long one - very long. I am only now feeling somewhat normal, again - but I do sometimes have short relapses. I can remember feeling a day of intense pain down there - last fall - but I do believe that happened because I was wiping it too hard and inspecting it too much. My skin near the surgical site is tender and delicate, just like yours, and I have to be careful about not disturbing it. My Crs has told me that all is healed - and I even had a recent colonoscopy that was perfect, with nothing awry.

Anyway, I've had quite a long stretch of time now, in which my bottom has not bothered me, one bit. But like I said, if I inspect that area or wipe it too hard, it flares up. So, I'm always aware that the area is tender and that I have to be careful with it - and I do still manage my bms. What seems to work for me is to put a teeny bit of Vaseline on the outer anal area, just before a b.m. - and then afterward I just wipe it carefully - dab it clean, actually - and then I leave it alone. (I seem to do better if I leave it alone.) I also continue to intake a lot of fiber - and part of that comes from Konsyl and "Double Fiber" bread.

I use pillows and cushions, most everywhere I sit. I'm sitting on a pillow right now - and I also use one in the car.

Don't feel disheartened about your recovery - because if you're like I am, it might takes months for you to feel like you have more good days than bad days. It took me such a long time.

Please keep me in your prayers, - and I will keep you in mine, too.

Last edited by Tweetums; 03-09-2014 at 12:36 AM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #55
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3
everhope HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetums View Post
Hi, everhope -

Yes, I'm still around - and whenever someone posts on this forum, I usually get a notification email about that.

It sounds like you had a lot done, down below. I had both an LIS and a fissurectomy - and yes, my recovery was a long one - very long. I am only now feeling somewhat normal, again - but I do sometimes have short relapses. I can remember feeling a day of intense pain down there - last fall - but I do believe that happened because I was wiping it too hard and inspecting it too much. My skin near the surgical site is tender and delicate, just like yours, and I have to be careful about not disturbing it. My Crs has told me that all is healed - and I even had a recent colonoscopy that was perfect, with nothing awry.

Anyway, I've had quite a long stretch of time now, in which my bottom has not bothered me, one bit. But like I said, if I inspect that area or wipe it too hard, it flares up. So, I'm always aware that the area is tender and that I have to be careful with it - and I do still manage my bms. What seems to work for me is to put a teeny bit of Vaseline on the outer anal area, just before a b.m. - and then afterward I just wipe it carefully - dab it clean, actually - and then I leave it alone. (I seem to do better if I leave it alone.) I also continue to intake a lot of fiber - and part of that comes from Konsyl and "Double Fiber" bread.

I use pillows and cushions, most everywhere I sit. I'm sitting on a pillow right now - and I also use one in the car.

Don't feel disheartened about your recovery - because if you're like I am, it might takes months for you to feel like you have more good days than bad days. It took me such a long time.

Please keep me in your prayers, - and I will keep you in mine, too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #56
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3
everhope HB User
Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Dear Tweetums and other LIS warriors, I will indeed keep you in my prayers. Just getting a response is heartening. I have found as you have that one must always be aware that the area is sensitive. I have always done the fiber thing and generally do not suffer from constipation. I drink an 8 oz. glass of water upon rising each morning and before and after each meal which also helps. I think some individuals are just more prone to perineal/anal/rectal injury than others and it did not help that I had a job for many years that involved sitting. I am now retired and can control where, how, and when I sit. The hardest thing for me is that certain physical activity is off limits for now. Particularly anything that involves spreading my legs (not too delicately stated, I know). I believe a stretching exercise I did a couple months ago disrupted the healing process in this area and started this misery. But, I can deal with limiting the types of activity I do. Your response gives me hope that it will get better with time. Thank you again. Your response truly means A LOT.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #57
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: california
Posts: 46
Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Smile Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by everhope View Post
Dear Tweetums and other LIS warriors, I will indeed keep you in my prayers. Just getting a response is heartening. I have found as you have that one must always be aware that the area is sensitive. I have always done the fiber thing and generally do not suffer from constipation. I drink an 8 oz. glass of water upon rising each morning and before and after each meal which also helps. I think some individuals are just more prone to perineal/anal/rectal injury than others and it did not help that I had a job for many years that involved sitting. I am now retired and can control where, how, and when I sit. The hardest thing for me is that certain physical activity is off limits for now. Particularly anything that involves spreading my legs (not too delicately stated, I know). I believe a stretching exercise I did a couple months ago disrupted the healing process in this area and started this misery. But, I can deal with limiting the types of activity I do. Your response gives me hope that it will get better with time. Thank you again. Your response truly means A LOT.

If I can help, in any way, I'm glad to. Having pain down there is a lonely journey, because people just don't talk about that sort of thing, unless it's online in this type of setting. --- Anyway, I know how DIFFICULT this journey is. I went through absolutely hellish misery for about two years - from the start of the fissure, through surgery, until about now.

Yes, stretching the area might aggravate it. That's what happened to me last fall. I was looking at my own area (via a magnified mirror) - and in examining it, I must have pulled it too hard, and it really flared up. But, if I leave the area alone - and mind my fiber - I seem to be fine.

Once a person has this kind of injury, I think it makes us mindful for the area, forever. I am always aware that I need to be careful down below - and as long as I keep that in mind, I seem to be okay.

I'm thinking that you will get there, too, to where you'll be mostly okay down there, unless you aggravate the area from time to time. --- Keep me posted. I really wish you well.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tweetums For This Useful Post:
everhope (03-09-2014)
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Internal Sphincteroplasty after sphincterotomy tarik Bowel Disorders 1 07-03-2009 04:00 PM
Internal hemorrhoids and fissures, solution to one complicates the other? Efnes Bowel Disorders 2 02-08-2009 09:00 AM
Does anyone undergo internal sphincteroplasty tarik Bowel Disorders 0 09-14-2008 10:44 PM
Lateral Sphincterotomy: Part 2 Lizardwoman85 Bowel Disorders 0 08-20-2008 08:04 PM
Lateral Sphincterotomy: Part 1 Lizardwoman85 Bowel Disorders 0 08-01-2008 08:45 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



flipfleury (33), solofelix (25), Babygirl43 (19), quincy (15), sonray (15), TacomaGuy (14), rufous57 (14), ladybud (13), sjb (13), nomorefissure (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!