HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/888699-lis-lateral-internal-sphincterotomy-recovery.html)

DailyHope 02-07-2012 09:56 PM

LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

Hi there!

I'm going through an LIS recovery and would like to hear from anyone who has been through the same thing and can share their experiences with me. I'm only a week in but I'd like to know how long it took others to fully recover.

Thanks!

Tweetums 02-12-2012 03:14 PM

Re: LIS (Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy) Recovery

[QUOTE=DailyHope;4924413]Hi there!

I'm going through an LIS recovery and would like to hear from anyone who has been through the same thing and can share their experiences with me. I'm only a week in but I'd like to know how long it took others to fully recover.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi, I had an LIS and fissurectomy almost 2 weeks ago, and though my incision seems fine (and I checked out okay last Tues., for a post-op visit with my crs), I'm having burning in my bottom. I don't know if it's just part of the healing process, or, if something else is going on.

I just want to feel better. I know people who've breezed through this surgery - but it's been a challenge for me. I trust that I've had a good doctor . . . so, I don't know why I'm burning down below, unless that's just part of it.

Plus, I've thought I might have a UTI (don't know now), and I was taking macrodantin for it - maybe too much - and now I have muscle/body aching, in addition to the burning bottom.

Not fun. --- Hope your recovery is going smoother than mine.

DailyHope 02-14-2012 06:28 PM

Hi Tweetums :wave:

I wish my recovery was going smoother!:) I am on day 14 after my surgery and it seems like I have some rough days and better days but I am concerned about my healing. I have total faith in my colo-rectal surgeon and will see him tomorrow to see how my healing is progressing.

I'm curious about the burning sensation you're having as it is one of the things happening to me as well. Mine only occurs if I take a warm bath after a bowel movement. Last night, I made the mistake of trying to take a warm bath after my bowel movement and suffered with "burning" and soreness for about 6 hours! :( I am still testing this theory but it seems that if I have a bowel movement and don't take a warm bath, I recover much faster.:confused:

Do you know where the burning is coming from? Is it coming from the skin around the anus on the outside or does it seem like it is coming from the muscle/incision site? I wonder if we're experiencing a similar thing and if so, let's hope it is normal for our recoveries!!:)

My Dr. mentioned that I may have dermatitis on the skin around the anus. He recommended some creams which I use after a bowel movement. I had been using soothing aloe/witch hazel wipes for two months before the surgery which may have made my skin raw and thus giving me an additional burning sensation. As though the fissure was not bad enough! :). I too had a fissurectomy and LIS two weeks ago.

I would love to compare and contrast our recoveries even though I know everyone is different and heals differently! It is just nice talking to someone going through the same thing. It has been rough!

Hope you are feeling better today!!! I am going on day 14 of bed rest and can only lay on my left side. Are you out of bed walking around yet? I only make it as far as the bathroom for now and have some weird flipping of my muscle. :confused:

In the midst of all this, I also learned that I have to be very careful about my fiber source and intake. You always hear..."take fiber" but the source did make a difference in my case. Psyllium husk made my stool bulky even with plenty of water. It made it so bulky that my stool couldn't get through my poor anus!!!!!! Since this horrible episode, I get fiber from prunes, veggies and fruits because these do not bulk up the stool and leave my stools soft and solid. Everyone is different in what they're body can and cannot handle. It just bites that I had to learn about what my body cannot handle right after a rectal surgery.:eek:

Take care and best wishes on your recovery!! You are certainly not alone. :)

Tweetums 02-14-2012 11:10 PM

Hi, DH -

Thank you for the detailed response! I really think it's good to have support people throughout this ordeal - and it very much can be an ordeal. I'm glad we can compare our experiences, because I really don't think that anyone else (who hasn't had this experience) can possibly understand what it's like to go through.

I had my surgery on Jan. 30th - both procedures that you had, the LIS and fissurectomy. --- My burning was very intense this past weekend, and especially horrible a couple of nights ago. Really, I thought I would go out of my mind from the burning. I even slept in the spare bedroom, as to not disrupt my husband's sleep (the poor guy has been a saint throughout my fissure problem and subsequent surgery). --- Anyhow, after trying several creams to alleviate the burning (I also had reddish skin around the anal area), I finally wondered if I had developed a yeast infection down there, possibly as a result of taking too much of an antibiotic for a possible UTI. Well, things calmed down yesterday, somewhat, and a bit more so today. --- My husband did call my crs's office, and the nurse suggested trying an OTC cream, called "Prax." Walgreens ordered it for us yesterday, and we picked it up today. I don't know that it's really helping, but it's definitely not hurting anything, so far.

You mentioned taking baths . . . I've heard that baths really help, but I absolutely hate getting in the tub, and I haven't done any of that. I've done a couple of sits baths, after my first few post-op bms, but not a full-on tub bath. My crs said that tubs wouldn't help in the healing, at all, but that some people take them for comfort. --- If you're noticing that your burning worsens after the tub, there just might be a connection. Also, what you mentioned about using creams/ointments on the anal area, pre surgery - and that those products could have made your skin raw or more sensitive - I totally think that's possible, too. I've seen a total of THREE crs's - the first recommended a mixed ointment (nitro/lido), which the second crs said would damage the skin (but yet, neither of these guys thought I needed surgery) - and the third crs was finally a doc who understands AFs and how to deal with them. He said that there's no "magic ointment or potion" that will possibly heal an AF. I asked him if my AF would heal on its own, and he said it would not. He said that I could either live with it OR get it fixed. So, I opted for the later. My AF was totally ruining my life.

So, back to the creams subject - yes, I do think that some products can damage the skin down in the anal area. I didn't realize that, though, or I never would have used that nitro/lido for so long. --- To answer your question about where the burning has been -- it's been right at the end, where the surgery site is, and it kinda feels like it burns up a little in that area. It's kind of hard to tell, sometimes, because things down there are so sensitive, anyhow.

Like you, I've been mostly resting for two weeks now. Actually, my AF had me down, mostly resting (and in pain) for over three months - and now I'm dealing with post-op recovery . . . so, I'm still down and resting. Yes, I'm up, walking . . . but I'm forcing myself to, because I've had some other weird stuff going on . . . I'll explain . . . I've forced myself to get up, because I've had body aching that I thought was due to too much bed rest . . . but maybe not . . .

While thinking I might have had a UTI (which was most likely not the case, I now realize), I might have taken too much of an antibiotic -- and I suspect I might be having an adverse reaction to it. I started really feeling strange - with body aches, just a general "ill" feeling - last weekend, which is also when the intense anal burning started. --- I quit taking the antibiotics on Saturday - and I don't know if I just need to get that out of my system, or what. All I know is that I've felt weird. Two nights ago I had that terrible, eye-popping burning in the anus - and then yesterday I was nauseated in the a.m., then felt a bit better later on. This a.m. I felt pretty good - but then around noon, I started feeling sick - nauseated, with body "burning" (hot feelings traveling around my neck, back, etc.) - and then today around noon, and all tonight, I've had terrible acid reflux - just awful.

I have no idea what's going on. I'll give myself a day or two to try to shake this - but if this stuff continues, I'll have to either go to ER or to my doc and have tests done. I'm hoping this will all pass and that I'll only have my backside to worry about. It's enough to deal with post-LIS/fissurectomy surgery, without also having other things going on.

As to keeping the bm's soft, I took Miralax for a few days after my surgery - but now I've found that two stool softeners (Colace, or the generic form) a day are working just fine. --- You're so right about the fiber - it will bulk up the stools, making them too hard to pass, IMO. I've quit taking extra fiber, entirely. I do allow myself a couple of Fiber One brownies, per day - but otherwise, any extra fiber would make things much too bulky. I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, half a sandwich (or steamed veggies) for lunch, and usually something soft for supper (pasta, etc.). I'm also drinking a lot of water - and for the past two days, I've been drinking Alka Seltzer.

I cannot stand prunes, but I force myself to eat them, if I think I need that extra fiber, without adding a fiber supplement.

I hope you're feeling better, too! I really think that (minus my other, odd physical symptoms), we are both at about the same place, with regard to our recovery. I'm taking things very slowly and trying to rest. It's still hard for me to sit, unless I sit on the soft mattress in the spare bedroom - and even then, I don't sit full on my backside -- I use pillows to prop myself to the side and cushion things.

Anyway, take care, and thanks for sharing your experience with me. I hope we both feel better and better, very soon.

Take care, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. This experience is definitely one that has turned my life upside down. I'm sure you've felt the same way.

Let me know how your dr. visit goes -- I hope everything is fine. Keep me posted. :)

Tweetums 02-15-2012 07:34 AM

Hi, DH -

I posted a lengthy reply . . . but as yet, I don't see it . . .

Tweetums 02-15-2012 08:25 AM

Hi, again, DH -

I'm checking to see if my lengthy post appeared, but not yet. Darn - well, I'll have to try to retype it, if it doesn't show up soon . . .

DailyHope 02-15-2012 01:22 PM

Hi Tweetums :wave:

I will definitely post more later when I'm feeling less discomfort:( but I wanted to get back to you. Our recoveries sound very similar. I am now looking at a possible UTI/yeast infection. I have an array of symptoms and it is knocking me down.:eek: I woke up nauseous this morning with abdominal discomfort, had a bowel movement, and I am now lying here hoping to get through without hours of burning!! There was a slight burn but this is getting ridiculous. This has seriously been the worst discomfort of my life these past four months!

My husband has been with me every step of the way. Bless his heart. I am so thankful for him. It cannot be easy on him when he hears me scream out in pain. On a lighter, more comical note, while in the bathtub yesterday, the shower came on randomly and shot water at me while I was laying there in pain. My husband and I could not help but laugh which in turn caused more pain to my rectum. My husband is still trying to master putting my hair into a ponytail because at times of pain, I can't even do that! By pain, I mean the burning (sometimes stinging) sensation I get along the right side of my rectal area.

I see the colo-rectal surgeon today! Wish me luck! I also have an appointment to find out why I have goupy yellow/orange/rusty colored discharge that smells like rot coming from what I believe to be my urinary tract! Just yuck!

I'll post more later but I hope you are doing better than me today. I feel so sick and just want to be done with all of this. I need my life back!!!!! :dizzy:

Best wishes and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tweetums 02-15-2012 04:56 PM

Hi, DH -

OMGosh, it sounds like you're suffering every bit as much as I have. I'm so, so sorry you're having all that pain, yuck, discomfort, and general post-op awfulness. I know exactly what you're going through, because I'm having much of the same thing over here.

I hope your doctor visit went well - both appointments.

I had a wretched, viciously-awful night last night. My acid reflux was at a raging high, and I ended up in the spare bedroom again, watching "Oklahoma" until 3 a.m. - and then a bit of "I Love Lucy" after that. All I could do was lie down, while the acid wrecked havoc on me. I got up again at 6 a.m., and I couldn't eat breakfast . . . well, let's see, I wasn't able to swallow it until later in the morning. --- Since last night, I've been taking Pepto Bismol, which is about the only thing that kinda helps when I have these attacks.

I did manage to eat half a sandwich for lunch - and also a Fiber One brownie . . . but now I'm lying down, resting my still-sore bottom, and I've having that weird lower pelvic, in-the-bones-type of soreness . . . oh, I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get my life back, at least somewhat normal.

Throughout this whole AF "adventure" (I re-tore the AF last Oct., then had my surgery on 1/30 of this year, and now I have the post-op yuck to deal with), I've had some type of pain to deal with, nearly non-stop. It does tend to wear a person down, emotionally.

I'm at the point where I really don't know what symptoms mean what, and which symptoms are which, etc., because it's all turning into a pain-soup down below. If it's not one thing, it's another. --- I don't think I'll be able to distinguish what is what, until/unless my bottom area heals completely. For example, though I've not had strong UTI symptoms for the past few days, I do feel twinging and some aching in that area, along with the bone discomfort that could be from sitting and lying down for so long now.

Plus, I have to fight my imagination and panic attacks about all of this. I've wondered about my vital body parts down below, thinking that maybe there's something else going on - something horrible that would cause these symptoms. This morning, while gagging up my vitamins and being unable to swallow them, I became scared about what could be wrong with me, beyond the acid reflux.

This has been the darnest experience. Before my AF re-tore (last Oct.), I was jogging, taking care of my family, and feeling really good about life. --- From a personal standpoint (this is my strictly my viewpoint, and I'm not trying to push it on anyone), this experience has made my prayer-life stronger, as well as serving to remind me not to take a single second for granted. I've also changed my diet for the better (I've probably lost 20-25 pounds), and I've re-realized that (assuming my health is good), I have nothing to complain about. So, I have gotten some good out of this -- but that said, it's also been a horrible experience.

My hope and prayer for both of us (and fellow AF sufferers) is that we can get our lives back and go on, without all of the miserable pain.

BTW, DH, I'd love to use some of the little figures and icons you're using - but I haven't figured it out . . . Would you please help me? Thanks, in advance. I'd love to personalize my posts to you, like you're doing. :)

Tweetums 02-15-2012 04:57 PM

Okay, it's happened again - I don't see the post I just left for you.

DailyHope 02-15-2012 11:14 PM

Hi Tweetums!

It makes me feel better to talk about this with you because it sounds like you completely understand the agony of all of this.:eek: Reading your post is almost like reading my own story.  I am so sorry you had a horrific night with acid reflux.  I know sorry doesn't cut it because it was that awful.   I don't know about acid reflex, but I know a whole lot about vomiting, nausea, staying up late with pain and watching movies on Netflix to get me through.   

I take colace twice a day and Miralax daily.  I think it is about time to cut back on Miralax as I had FOUR bowel movements today and expect more before the day is over.  :(The abdominal discomfort from gas and needing to pass a stool can leave me feeling very sick.  I was so sore that I don't know how I made it to my appointments today.  We (my husband and I) carried 3 pillows to get me through. :D There doesn't seem to be a UTI or yeast infection but I do have a rectal infection.  Yikes!  I was told it is rare to get an infection after this type of surgery but I seem to fall into the exception category quite often......I did have blocked bowels for three or four days which may or may not have contributed to the infection.  I was given antibiotics so I hope this will help.  I am super thankful for my colo-rectal surgeon.  He is very sympathetic and gentle with me.  

I can relate to everything you are saying (except the acid reflux-instead it is constant bowel symptoms for me!). Before this catastrophe knocked me down, I was exercising, making healthy dinners at home, trying to conceive a child and was all around healthy. This experience has made my prayer-life stronger as well.  My husband and I have been praying daily and will be sure to include you in our prayers.  No one should have to go through this much pain and torment!  It is truly torture and difficult to describe to people who have never experienced this!  I spend most of my time summing up my experience as "rough" to friends which really doesn't do it justice.

I know what you mean by "pain-soup down below" and not knowing what symptoms go to what.  I just finished with a non-viable pregnancy ( only lasted about two weeks) and I have symptoms from that.  Four months ago,  I had an ectopic (I didn't need surgery for it as it went naturally).  Then the vaginal discharge which may have been coming from the rectum due to the infection.  Trying to explain EVERYTHING to doctors is tough because it has become so complicated and confusing.  I have to discuss all the symptoms to understand which symptom goes with which issue and which person I need to see accordingly. Ugh!:confused:

I too get pains from lying down.  I think this hopefully is normal.  I can only lay on my left hand side and after two hours,  my leg feels crushed.  I wake up in the night and can't feel my leg.  I have to move it to get circulation.  Then there are other pains that appeared out of no where in places that made me nervous.  I am going to try and walk like you're doing to get some exercise.  

The cute icons can be obtained by scrolling to the bottom of all our posts and clicking on "post reply." It brings you to a screen in which there are icons to the right hand side of the post field.  I insert an icon every now and then that relates to the topic.  My favorite is the little dizzy face in which the eyes are circling.  :dizzy:Hehe

It feels good to be able to type to you and distract myself from laying in bed and concentrating on all my symptoms!  I hope I can be a good source of support to help you through this difficult time.  :) I understand what it feels like to have your life yanked from you.  It is not all bad as I have my husband and my cats near me constantly and I am thankful.  We have been in a hotel now for three weeks for the surgery.  It's hard not being in my own comfort zone but the people here have been very accommodating and have put me in a room with no neighbors.  This is good for both me and others as I don't think people would like random screaming when I have an episode of pain!  

After this experience,  I want to cherish every moment being happy, healthy and loving life!  Not knowing how long this will take to heal is absolutely frightening.  Just getting outside for the first time in two weeks brought me immense joy.

I hope you have a better night and get some relief!  

Tweetums 02-16-2012 09:31 AM

Good Morning, DH:wave: I'm on the west coast of the US, so it's still a.m. here.

Thanks for the icon help, btw :)

Okay, well, it seems that you made it through your appointments (not without pain, though) and got some answers about how you're doing. The antibiotics should clear your rectal infection right up -- and that infection might account for some of the discomfort you've had down below.

I slept last night - in my own bed - but it was merely the sheer exhaustion of several sleepless nights that enabled me to get any rest. I woke up about 6 a.m., made a quick bathroom trip, then headed back to bed and was able to sleep a bit more. I've been on Xanax (at night) for several weeks, because it's been the only thing that knocks me out and lets me have any rest. Last night I didn't need any - but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to sleep tonight. One thing I've learned about this is that a little progress doesn't mean total progress without digression.

It's nice that you're in a hotel, able to not have to worry about keeping things going at home. And, it sounds like you have a very supportive husband. My husband is supportive, too, and I'm grateful for that.

Okay, so this morning, I awoke feeling like I couldn't turn my head without becoming dizzy. Honestly, it's just one more thing to add to the mix. My symptoms are now extending beyond just what's going on down below . . . or maybe, they're somehow a result of it . . . I just don't know. :confused: This just seems a lot more complicated than it should be. I have an online friend who had an LIS about a month ago (no fissurectomy, though), and she sailed right through her procedure and was back at work two weeks later, symptom free. For me, it's been a lot rougher than that, and I don't know if that's because I also had the fissurectomy or that my sensitive system just reacts to everything very strongly.

It sounds like you've had some other struggles and challenges to deal with, along with the AF and surgery/recovery from it. That's a lot on your plate to cope with - and IMO, it's essential that you have your faith to get your through this time in your life. My prayers and faith help sustain me, too, but sometimes I struggle to force fear out of my mind. I tend to panic, and then I'll imagine all sorts of horrible things. --- I'm trying to read the Bible every day (I miss a day, now and then), but it's going slowly - I'm still only in Exodus. I do have strong prayer people in my life - my mother and aunt are among them. They really help me, especially my aunt, who suffers terribly from diabetes and goes through more than any person should ever have to endure. Still, she stays strong - and I admire her, so much.

So, you mentioned taking Miralax and Colace during the day . . . I'm thinking that you will, indeed, be having more than one bm per day, while taking that amount. I cut out the Miralax, completely, over a week ago. I just hope that the Colace (generic form I'm taking now) continues to do its job and keeps me regular, without any problems. Last night my husband brought me dinner from the market deli, and I'm worried today that it might have been a bit heavy for my system . . . I guess we shall see. I've been so worried about keeping things smooth and easy, that I've really watched my diet very carefully - and last night I ate meatloaf and cheesy vegetables, which both seemed a bit heavy to be eating, just yet. Well, I'll just get back on the Miralax again, if need be, although I really don't like taking it. There's something about having the Miralax in my system that is upsetting to me. It just kind of throws me off, seems like, in that my bowels really react to it. --- But, that's typical for me, because my system is so very sensitive.

Next week I'll see my crs again, for another post-op visit. I hope he will cut off the stitches that remain in my surgical area. They seem to be irritating the area, and I've been tempted to snip them off, myself, but I'm too afraid to mess with anything down there. Plus, I'm still swollen, and maybe the stitches need to remain there for awhile. --- Are you experiencing swelling, still? My swelling looks a bit like a flesh-colored hemorrhoid, and I sure hope everything goes down in time and that I'll have a normal-looking anal area. I'm also still having pain, discomfort, and itching down below - and I hope that clears up, as well.

I had thought about sending you a pm here, but I haven't seen an area which allows pms . . . let me know if you have that figured out. --- Otherwise, I hope you have a restful day. It's good to share our experiences, because there's nothing like talking with someone who has gone through OR is currently going through this type of situation. I know that the people around me are trying hard to be sympathetic, but only fellow AF sufferers and post-surgery recoverers understand this journey. We all need good and understanding support people, IMO.

I'll pray for your health and speedy recovery. For myself, I pray for strength and faith in God's plan, that I'll be stronger and can fully put my trust in God's will. --- I hope we both have a better day today.:angel:

DailyHope 02-19-2012 05:31 PM

Hi Tweetums!:wave:

I am also on the West Coast. I'm hoping the antibiotics take away a lot of my symptoms.  It is hard to know whether this constant sick feeling is from one of the meds I am taking, the surgery sites, the infection or some other factor I haven't thought of!  

You do a really good job of summing up this experience!  You said,

"One thing I've learned about this is a little progress doesn't mean total progress without digression."

Friends and family ask how I am doing and this is such a hard question to answer briefly.  It seems like a roller coaster, feeling a little better one day with the hope of things looking up and then awful the next day.  Sometimes, it feels like I get a little relief and then take a giant step backward and wonder when the digressions will leave me alone and disappear for good.  :(

I'm glad you're seeing your crs soon!  Maybe he can shed some light on what is going on.  Can you actually see and/or feel your stitches?  I have been terrified to to touch that region because of the extreme discomfort but had to yesterday to put a cream on it (I think it's part of the infection healing process).  I was so grossed out by what I felt that I became dizzy like if I kept my finger down there any longer, I would pass out. :dizzy: I had a sentinel tag on my fissure-a flap like piece of skin that was excruciatingly sore.  It was removed and I don't know if it is this or something else,  but I have a swollen lump around the same area. I want to be optimistic but I am concerned that the texture of my anus will forever be changed.  My crs looked at me yesterday so it must be normal as he didn't mention my little lump.  My sutures are dissolvable so I don't know if they're even there anymore. My fissure was deep and I can't say I truly ever felt the stitches.  I can't feel my fissure site all that much other than it feels like it is there.  The incision site is still giving me all the troublesome feelings which I hope and pray in time will heal.

I feel that God has been there every step of the way and is getting me through this.  We will get through this and get our lives back.  At times,  I have felt my hope dwindling but both God and good friends/family have helped to bring it back up.  The most important gift anyone can give us is hope and support. I am here if you ever need someone to listen. Before the surgery,  I had throbbing pain episodes lasting up until 9 hours.  Sometimes, only a towel or blanket could get me through if I could use it as a bite guard.  Sometimes, screaming could help get my mind off the pain.  I don't know how I endured it.  I guess I am stronger than I thought. I understand how awful it is.

I still can't figure out a way to give you my personal email or more info about me.  My internet is a bit unpredictable at the hotel and my email works great but this forum doesn't always load for me which causes delays in me getting back to you.  I literally have to hold my iPad toward the end of my bed or center of the room for my post to go through which requires movement on my part!  Hope this made you laugh because it is quite a scene! Although, this is miserable experience,  I haven't lost my sense of humor-well, sometimes!

My husband is my hero.  We our very playful and laugh often.  He can't do anything without making me laugh which would normally be a good thing!!!!  I don't know about you but laughing too hard actually makes me hurt down there!  Just now, after the second bowel movement of the day,  I jumped in the bath because I had to try and clean the area.  It was rough!  My husband tried to help by using a plastic squirt bottle (the one used to clean myself after a bowel movement) to spray warm water on me while in my bath to help me relax and be comfortable but he didn't realize he was spraying somewhat cold water at me.  He got me in the face and my rectum just hurt from laughter!  My husband thought it was funny to untighten the lid to the plastic bottle while spraying me so it would pop off at me because he wanted to keep me laughing! Good times but my rectal area did not take the laughter easily.

Despite the laughter,  I am scared.  After the bowel movement today, my husband looked concerned because the area was very swollen.  I can't see the darn thing so it makes me worry!! How does something get this bad? :confused:The antibiotics cause a very bitter taste in my mouth so that the water I drink taste awful.  I have stopped the Miralax in hopes of going less often because I need a break from the symptoms! I didn't take any pain meds today, hoping I could get through it on my own.

Were you able to get some relief today?  I hope so. :)

Tweetums 02-19-2012 07:41 PM

Hi, DH -

I totally agree about the antibiotics causing side effects and other symptoms (bitter taste in mouth, etc.). For me, I was taking heavy doses of Macrodantin, which caused burning/aching in my limbs, bladder, back, neck - and I also had a very bad acid reflux attack, dizziness, nausea, etc. I became very alarmed at those symptoms - and I've now been off the Macrodantin for a week . . . and my symptoms have gradually died down, for the most part.

So, I'm quite sure you're going to have some kind of side effects (maybe mild, maybe not) from your round of antibiotics. At least, that's been my experience with antibiotics.

As to your swelling, you're not alone. My anal area still does not look normal. I really hope it someday will . . . And no, I cannot see any incision site, although maybe I just don't know how to look at myself and know what is what. Two days ago, one of my stitches (that was hanging down on two ends) broke after I had a bm. Of course, it scared me - but, I haven't had bleeding, so I've tried not to get upset about it. --- I'm trying to keep my bms manageable, but I'm still very concerned about them, because I don't want to mess anything up down below. --- You said your fissure was deep . . . mine sure felt like it was, but one crs told me it was only 1mm deep - he's also the crs who told me that "time and fiber" would be the best fix for my fissure. Needless to say, I found a different (much more understanding) crs - Dr. B. - and he's the one who did my surgery.

Dr. B. is the one I'll see again on Tuesday. I just hope he says I'm doing okay. --- DH, I'm sure that if your area didn't look okay, your crs would have said so. Post-op swelling is apparently normal, so we'll just have to hope and pray we're okay and that the swelling will eventually go down.

I applaud you for getting in the tub. My nurse friend (who also had a LIS, but no fissurectomy) said that tubs were what really helped her heal. Dr. B. said that tubs wouldn't affect my healing, either way, but are used for post-op comfort. I really don't like getting in a tub, so I haven't done so, yet. --- Your husband is doing the same thing mine does, by cleaning me with the "peri-care" bottle (it's the little, plastic squirt bottle that I got after having my children - and that's what the nurses called it, a peri-care bottle). Usually, after I have a bm, my husband will squirt my bottom, and then I'll follow that with a shower. After that, I carefully - CAREFULLY - try to clean the area with a damp q-tip (or two), followed by carefully drying the area with gauze.

It's good you haven't lost your sense of humor. I think you're doing better about that, than I have. Really, it's been such an ordeal for me - what with the fissure re-tearing (last Oct.), then three months of seeing various crs's and trying to give the fissure time to heal - then finding a great crs (Dr. B.), then having surgery, and now trying to get past everything.

Progress, digress, progress, digress . . . etc., etc., etc.

Anyhow, this has been a dark period in my life - but, like I mentioned before, I've benefitted from it, too, because I've re-embraced my faith in a much stronger way, and I've re-evaluated my perspective a bit, as well.

I'm still taking two (100 mg.) stool softeners a day -- and, I'm eating prunes. I detest them, but I'm eating them. I'm trying to do whatever I can to make things easier, without having to drink the Miralax. --- I think you'll find that cutting out the Miralax, even a little, might prevent you from having too many bms per day. --- The other night, I ate 8-9 small prunes - and a couple hours later, I realized that I had eaten way too many, because my intestines really churned, and I felt queasy. It's hard to find the happy medium - soft stools, once a day, with a happy intestinal tract. --- One thing, I'm still itchy down below - not horribly so, though - but it briefly intensifies after a bm.

I've tried to picture you on your hotel bed, finding just the right place so that your internet will work. Moving around has been hard for me, too. My youngest son recently mentioned riding bikes with me when the weather gets a bit warmer . . . I told him that it would be quite awhile before I felt like sitting on a bicycle seat. Right now, I cannot imagine riding a bike! There's just no way I can attempt that, until/unless I've made a lot more progress.

With regard to our communication, I'm still trying to figure out how to (of if I can) send you a pm. I don't know how to give you my email, either, being that this board is moderated. If you can figure it out, I'd be happy to do so.

I hope you're able to rest and are feeling better this evening. I'm hoping we'll both on the mend, before long. What a heck of a way to make a friend, huh? LOL! Well, it's nice to meet someone who's going through the same thing.

Take care, rest, and let me know how you're doing.

Prayers and blessing to you!

DailyHope 02-20-2012 04:32 PM

Hi Tweetums!:wave:

My last post should have been sent a few days ago!  I thought it was sent and realized yesterday that it was sitting on my iPad and never went through due to the reception.  

I have been on the antibiotics now for about 4 days and it is seriously unbearable. :( I have constant nausea and everything tastes bad.  I have to be on these horrid things for 3 more days.  I hope and pray that I don't need to be on these for another week as I am just not strong enough to combat the nausea.  I'm not going to stop because this nasty infection has to go away and I can't have the culprits building a resistance.  They must DIE!  Lol. Don't they understand that I have been through enough?

My husband and I have been praying for a speedy recovery for both you and I at night before bedtime.  This is so AWFUL and that is putting it lightly.  I am glad your symptoms from the antibiotics are subsiding and I am looking forward to getting off the antibiotics myself.  I'm trying to be strong. Trying...

Are you having any kind of discharge?  Besides the infection grossness,  I still have fecal discharge after a BM and occasional blood.  It is subsiding though very slowly!  I still can't believe I fall into the "rare rectal infection" category.  I understand how difficult it is to find a good crs.  When going through the pain of an anal fissure,  I spoke to a few insensitive colo-rectal surgeons that made my jaw drop.  I finally drove 6 hours to see a crs who I believe to be another hero in my life.  I know my recovery will be rocky but I do greatly respect my crs and can't say enough good things about him.  I am really happy that you found a crs that you like as well.  We need supportive doctors while going through this.

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope your check up on Tuesday reveals that you are healing well.  The stitch hopefully won't be in issue because it has been there awhile now.  I hope it didn't cause any pain.  I still don't know what is going on with mine.I guess they should be dissolved by now. It is an area of the body I never really paid much attention to.Now, it is all I focus on.  I yearn for the day that it is healed. This experience has changed me and I will never be the same.  I get excited to go outside and will be going for a car ride with my husband today for the third time in 2.5 weeks.  

I used to love baths and now they are a constant reminder of a medical issue with my rectal area.  I don't enjoy them any more and they stopped giving me comfort.  For some reason, I fall into a small percentage of people in which baths actually aggravate the area.  My husband and I seem to have a similar routine to you and your husband with the peri-bottle.  I LOVE my peri-bottle.  Showers would be soothing but the hotel shower is rough.  The water comes down hard so it isn't an option for me.

The mention of riding a bike makes me cringe!My husband made a comment back before my surgery about getting bikes and I don't think I'll ever ride a bike again as I will always live in fear of the evil fissure that ripped away my life and the reminder that I never want to go back.  I don't understand why humans don't have stronger rectums.:confused:Mine seems rather fragile.  I wish I could hibernate until the area is completely healed.

It is a pleasure speaking to you.  I feel like we have been through a similar ordeal and it really helps get me through. I just know if we lived in the same city, I would enjoy your company!  We can bond over our rectal problems!  LOL I think things happen for a reason.  Although, I can't think of a good reason for the fissure.  Maybe it was to make a friendship but what a heck of an ordeal to go through to meet a friend!!!!:D

It looks like there have been more icons added and they added one for us! :blob_fire: LOL

Good luck with your Tuesday appointment.

Tweetums 02-20-2012 05:31 PM

Hi, DH -

Thank you (and your husband, too) for your prayers and good wishes for a complete recovery for both of us. You have my prayers and good wishes, as well. --- If I didn't have faith, I think I'd be lost after going through this experience.

I've been a little down today. (Progress, digress, etc.) Yesterday I actually felt a teeny bit better than I do today, even though I'm nowhere near being healed. Today I've had burning and itching down below -- and darn, I guess I was hoping that I had started to turn the corner . . . a little, anyway. Nope. Back to burning and itching.

That said, no, I do not have anything oozing or draining from my anal area. I'm still somewhat swollen, still black and blue - but no draining. I just hope this burning and itching doesn't mean anything. You know, it almost feels as if I'm having spasms. I don't know. Sometimes, when I get depressed, I wonder if I'll ever have my life back.

I'm thinking that the drainage you're having is probably due to your infection, which should clear up, given enough time and antibiotics. Oh, I sympathize with you, for having to endure the antibiotics and their side effects. I just got off the Macrodantin (for my possible UTI), and I still feel like I'm having lingering side effects. --- Just hang in there! The main thing is that your infection is being treated -- and once you get it cleared up, you can then work on getting past the nasty side effects from the antibiotics. I know how you feel, though -- it's kind of "darned if you do, darned if you don't."

I'm thinking it's great that you can rest up in a hotel. I've been at home, since the day of my surgery (it was done on an out-patient basis) -- but, my husband has had a local care-at-home company send out a woman to help me here at home. She's been a godsend - helping me shower and keeping the surgical area clean, helping me with household chores, etc. In fact, I really have developed a fondness for her, and we've become friends. She's going to make the dress I'm going to wear for my son's wedding (it will be in November, this year). I want a retro dress - something with the lines of a '50s dress, an era I love. --- Anyhow, it's good that you've been able to rest in a hotel. Did I understand correctly that you've had to drive 6 hours to find a good crs? Well, if so, I get it -- I know how hard it is to find a good crs. My crs - Dr. B. - is the third crs that I've seen, here in our city - and I'm glad I found him, because the first two seemed clueless about all of this. Dr. B. really seems to understand this whole situation.

BTW, speaking of my family . . . I have five children - one is adopted - so I've given birth to four of them - all cesarean deliveries . . . and I can tell you, this fissure problem and subsequent surgery has been harder on me than any of my c-sections. Anyhow, my children are (in order) . . . Son #1 (33), son #2 (30), son #3 (25), daughter (23) - these four kids are from my first marriage - and then there is son #4 (12), from my second/current marriage. I had a miscarriage before ever having any children, and it was a [U]heartbreaking[/U] experience. --- My youngest child is still at home, of course. He's in 7th grade and keeps us VERY busy.

That's just a little info about me, so that you have some kind of perspective of my life. I'm thinking that I could maybe put a "dummy" email address here, so that you could email me there, and I could then give you a different email. Or, I could try to send you a pm here - but I have yet to figure that out. I'm not even sure that's possible on this board. Or, we could just keep writing here. Whatever you're comfortable with is fine with me.

I know what you mean about strong water pressure in hotel bathrooms. It's a good thing you have your peri bottle, so that you (and your husband) can more thoroughly clean the area, especially after a bm. How are you doing with those, with regard to slowing down the Miralax? I hope you're having an easy time of things. --- I haven't had any problems, with regard to going . . . but I just hope this burning/itching doesn't mean I've disturbed anything down below. The thing is, it's so hard to know what is supposed to be normal and what is not. Digress, progress, digress, progress, digress . . .

I hope you're having a restful evening. I've had some soup and will eat some prunes later on . . . and pray.

Take care, DH, and I'll let you know how my doc visit goes. Please continue to keep me in your prayers - and I will do the same for you.

God bless!