It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

CMP2009 HB User
Bowel changes during pregnancy? Concerned.

I'm 27 weeks pregnant. I haven't paid much attention other than knowing I had some typical 1st tri mild consitpation months ago.

Recently, I've started paying more attention to my BMs. There is no consistency from one BM to another. I have a movement generally at least once a day. Pre-pregnancy, I was going 1x/day, sometimes every other day depending. Now, it's typically 2-3 times per day.

Also, sometimes my stool will be large and hard. At other times, small, hard and...like pebbles? Other times, my stool will be extremely soft and will require a lot of wiping. Sometimes I have to come back to the bathroom an hour or a few hours later and I feel like it's not a separate BM- it's more like I have to finish the first.

This is all concerning to me, and my OB is out of the office thru next week, so I'm making myself paranoid in the meantime! I'm 27, have no family history of colon cancer, or any other type of rectal/bowel cancer. (One great uncle had prostate, a great aunt had peritoneal cancer, as far as I know that's it). I have been taking a LOT of TUMS lately, and increasing my milk intake, as they both help with heartburn- is this possibly causing some of the issues?

What do you think is going on? Typical pregnant weirdness? Cancer? IBS? Nothing, and stop freaking out?

I do take an SSRI daily, as I have GAD. I take a prenatal, and the occasional benedryl. That's it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User
Re: Bowel changes during pregnancy? Concerned.

I don't think this is a sign of cancer. Typically your bowels will get slower in pregnancy, causing constipation. Others might experience the opposite. It could well be that milk and tums could be the cause of this too. You could talk to a dr. of course. But I don't think there's anything to worry about, from what I read.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Bowel changes during pregnancy? Concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP2009 View Post
I'm 27 weeks pregnant. I haven't paid much attention other than knowing I had some typical 1st tri mild consitpation months ago.

Recently, I've started paying more attention to my BMs. There is no consistency from one BM to another. I have a movement generally at least once a day. Pre-pregnancy, I was going 1x/day, sometimes every other day depending. Now, it's typically 2-3 times per day.

Also, sometimes my stool will be large and hard. At other times, small, hard and...like pebbles? Other times, my stool will be extremely soft and will require a lot of wiping. Sometimes I have to come back to the bathroom an hour or a few hours later and I feel like it's not a separate BM- it's more like I have to finish the first.

This is all concerning to me, and my OB is out of the office thru next week, so I'm making myself paranoid in the meantime! I'm 27, have no family history of colon cancer, or any other type of rectal/bowel cancer. (One great uncle had prostate, a great aunt had peritoneal cancer, as far as I know that's it). I have been taking a LOT of TUMS lately, and increasing my milk intake, as they both help with heartburn- is this possibly causing some of the issues?

What do you think is going on? Typical pregnant weirdness? Cancer? IBS? Nothing, and stop freaking out?

I do take an SSRI daily, as I have GAD. I take a prenatal, and the occasional benedryl. That's it.
Some of it is hormones but make sure you drink more water when taking the SSRI,Benadryl,Tums,and milk as they contribute to having constipation issues.Try taking a fiber supplement like Citrucel or Metamucil that will help to add bulk and soften the stools and help maintain regularity. are eating lots of fruits and vegetables as this helps with constipation as well.

Closed Thread