It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

sesameseed HB Usersesameseed HB User
Trouble digesting Leafy veggies

Am I the only one who has trouble digesting leafy veggies? I don't want to be graphic.. but every time I eat lettuce or Chinese broccoli, the leafy parts don't look very digested. I have no problem eating a ton of beef / chicken / pork but once it comes to veggies they never fully digest. I find this also applies for tomato skins, pepper skins and eggplant skins. Is this something I should be worrying about?!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Trouble digesting Leafy veggies

Hi..normal. They're an insoluble fibre that can remain "intact" through the digestive process. They take up space, absorb water and unless it's chewed very, very well...will look as it does for most everyone.

The longer foods such as that take to "process" the less likely we see them since they're mostly in a more compacted stool.

Think of it as vermiculite in soil or gravel in concrete.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
sesameseed (02-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesameseed View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble digesting leafy veggies? I don't want to be graphic.. but every time I eat lettuce or Chinese broccoli, the leafy parts don't look very digested. I have no problem eating a ton of beef / chicken / pork but once it comes to veggies they never fully digest. I find this also applies for tomato skins, pepper skins and eggplant skins. Is this something I should be worrying about?!
No, that's because it's insoluable fiber which is good for your digestive tract.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
(male)

sesameseed HB Usersesameseed HB User

Is this something I should be worried about? I hate veggies to begin with, so this makes me not eat them even more. I do get my proper dose of healthiness through a lot of fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, bananas and so on, but my mother tells me constantly that I'm going to die without eating veggies.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Worry about what specifically? I

t's normal to see certain fibres in stool...specifically fruits and vegetables. It's good to eat veggies as well...you won't die if you don't, however...but find ones you like and eat them. A balanced diet is good for the digestive tract and for the vitamins and minerals they provide.

I don't eat many raw veggies except the "normal" raw ones such as carrots, tomatoes, cukes, salad stuff, celery. Other veggies, I like very well cooked.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
sesameseed (02-20-2012)
Closed Thread