It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
(male)

medkid HB User
nonrelaxing (isotonic) puborectalis and anismus

I have been diagnosed with nonrelaxing (isotonic) puborectalis and anismus as well as a rectocele. I'm only 27 so I am feeling like living a normal young person life is being taken from me.

I started to have symptoms a few years ago and it got progressively worse. I actually was embarrassed to seek care at first and when I did I was told I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and got bounced around and had different tests before I found out what was really going on only relatively recently. For me there is an added layer of complexity because I am transgendered, something I don't normally tell anyone but then when you go to a doctor for these types of problems that include female genitals, you kind of have to. It is hard when I think I thought I was managing to live a fairly normal life during which I didn't have to deal with "being transgendered" on a day-to-day basis. I also had no idea that other people had had the experience of having to "splint" as they call it or push on the perineum in order to get feces out and was embarrassed to explain all my symptoms.

It is possible a hysterectomy/oophorectomy I had in 2007 might be related as people who have had pelvic floor surgeries have higher incidences of pelvic floor disorders.

I only recently started pelvic floor physical therapy and at first made some gains but have since not had further improvement. The therapist who works with me is very good. She told me my muscles were some of the tightest she'd ever seen (I at first couldn't tolerate the probe for biofeedback therapy) and said I am making progress, so I am hopeful. I had one injection of botox in puborectalis muscle but haven't noticed improvement though my physical therapist said she noticed a difference.

It is very difficult to constantly feel compromised by bad stomach/bowel times, not being able to plan, not being able to count on being productive at any time, being in pain, and yet also suffering in silence most of the time. What's hard about having something like this is it's not something you can explain to people without being too personal. I only recently let my father know that I am dealing with some of these problems and he said "You seem fine to me" which really upset me, but I guess it shows that we really need to be aware that people may be going through things that aren't readily apparent. I don't know if you have experienced similar struggles with how to explain or not to others or how it's frustrating that people can't know that you have legitimate health problems you are dealing with.

What is also distressing for me is that all of these problems are getting in the way of a planned surgery I had for a penile construction which would finally allow me to feel complete and make my wife and myself happy.

For now, defecation and urination are often a frequent struggle, and I fight to stay on top of my other obligations because of the time I spend with my health.

Would love to hear about any treatments.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread