It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
(male)

andmaz777 HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy - Help please

I live in England and have relied on the NHS upto having the LIS.

The NHS is frantastic but the great British tradition of queing is not good when you are poorly.

Luckily for me my employer changed private health provider giving me the chance to join covering existing conditions - this I have to pay for but its cheaper than paying privately on my own and worth dramatically speeding up the whole process.

Today I have my bowel movements under control and all I did was increase my bran intake. Also most of my pain today is in my upper buttock and hip both on the right hand side.

I have just spoken to my boss and he was very understanding so that has put my mind at ease for now concerning work.

I will report back on Tuesday when the consultant has seen me.

Heres hoping we all are pain free very soon!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
(female)

Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User

I saw my crs yesterday - and I also have pain in the right upper buttock and hip. My crs said that, even though I'm female, I have no padding on my bottom - which he says most females have. He advised me to sit on a pillow -- but he did ask if the pain is in my rectum, and I said it was not . . . and I don't think it is, but it's sometimes hard to tell. When the pain kicks in, it's really a "pain soup" down there.

He didn't see anything else . . . so, I really don't know how I'm doing. It just seems like it's taking an awfully long time to heal.

Yes, please report back. I wish us, all, pain-free and healthy bottoms and futures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
(female)

I saw my crs yesterday - and I also have pain in the right upper buttock and hip. My crs said that, even though I'm female, I have no padding on my bottom - which he says most females have. He advised me to sit on a pillow -- but he did ask if the pain is in my rectum, and I said it was not . . . and I don't think it is, but it's sometimes hard to tell. When the pain kicks in, it's really a "pain soup" down there.

He didn't see anything else . . . so, I really don't know how I'm doing. It just seems like it's taking an awfully long time to heal.

Yes, please report back. I wish us, all, pain-free and healthy bottoms and futures.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Saw consultant yesterday - he did an examination and said that part of the fissure had healed but the bit that had not had discharge.

He said that the upper buttock and hip pain is not caused by the fissure - before I had the set back with the bleeding this pain was significantly reduced so I personally think it must be linked.

Anyway I have another appointment in 6 weeks fingers crossed it is healed and then that problem can be crossed off the list of possible causes of pain - I am praying that most of the pain is gone but realistically very much doubt it.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
(female)

I'm still having pain and some discomfort. At this point, I don't know when I'll heal.

I have to take my mother on a long trip next week . . . I'm very concerned about how I'll manage myself. Hopefully, I'll do okay. I'll try my best. I really feel that I need another 2-3 months, before I make this kind of trip . . . but it can't wait. My mother is now 85.

ITA with you about pain/fissure being connected with the hip and bottom pain. What else could it be? --- So, you wait for six weeks and then go back . . . I hope you do okay and get better. Keep us informed.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, can I ask a question of you guys, I think any of you could answer it. How do they control infection in this type of surgery? With fecal matter and incision sights being so close together, how do they do it?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmaz777 View Post
I am presently off work as I mainly sit and it is all problem solving etc and having pain and taking tramadol is not good - tramadol does not take much pain away but helps mentally to cope albeit turns me into a virtual zombie.
Hi, did your Dr. discuss the dangers of Tramadol with you?

kat

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
(female)

My crs said that complications, like infections, are rare. I didn't get one - but I think there might be a few who do.

Still, infections can be cleared up - but I didn't have any problems with that.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #24
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Hi, did your Dr. discuss the dangers of Tramadol with you?

kat
He said that it is safe.

I know that you cannot just stop taking it.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Inactive
(female)

It's not safe. Tramadol is extremely addictive, it causes grand mal seizures, its easy to overdose on. It is one of the hardest drugs to detox off of. It also has Anti-depressant qualities, so if your taking any other psych meds you run the risk of Serotonin Syndrome. It's really not a safe med.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #26
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
It's not safe. Tramadol is extremely addictive, it causes grand mal seizures, its easy to overdose on. It is one of the hardest drugs to detox off of. It also has Anti-depressant qualities, so if your taking any other psych meds you run the risk of Serotonin Syndrome. It's really not a safe med.
I take no other meds other than ibuprofen and paracetomol.

Current daily dosage is 100mg 2 to 3 times a day - what are the overdose fresh holds?

Completely agree with the addictive qualities - when reducing the dosage I not only have an increase in pain but terrible headaches and a general feeling of what could be described as depression!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
Inactive
(female)

The max recommended daily dosage is between 300 - 400mg, depending on age and type of pain. I've seen many chronic pain patients that are being prescribed way over that. I was prescribed way over that when I took it years ago, I OD'd on it, had Grand Mal Seizures from it, now have a lovely seizure disorder from it....it's a drug that never should have made it on the market. When you get into fullblown withdrawals the RLS and generally restlessness/anxiety/tremors almost make you insane, you feel like your going to climb right out your own skin.

kat

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #28
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Went to see my general practitioner (family doctor) on Tuesday - he has ordered a lumbar spine MRI and seemed shocked I had been given tramadol for so long (he is the main partner who I have not seen before).

Let's see what this test shows.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
(female)

emme218 HB User

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to have LIS this week and am scared to death of incontinence. I have had botox before which worked well for me and was thinking of just doing that again. I'm kind of tired of dealing with these though and don't want them coming back again. I eat really well and exercise. The fissures were brought on from constipation during chemo. I have read mixed things on the incontinence risks and was wondering if anyone has had problems with this after surgery. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme218 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am scheduled to have LIS this week and am scared to death of incontinence. I have had botox before which worked well for me and was thinking of just doing that again. I'm kind of tired of dealing with these though and don't want them coming back again. I eat really well and exercise. The fissures were brought on from constipation during chemo. I have read mixed things on the incontinence risks and was wondering if anyone has had problems with this after surgery. Thanks.
Emme, I had a LIS and fissurectomy, several months' ago - end of January (2012). I've had absolutely NO trouble with incontinence - none at all. It has taken me several months to heal, but I've not had trouble with anything else.

I wish you good luck. Please let us know how you do - and remember to give yourself time to heal, before panicking too soon after surgery. It does take time for the area to settle down and feel better. That said, I'm glad I had it done. No more fissure troubles for me, thus far.

Reply Reply