It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
(male)

Imhere4 HB User
Sphincterotomy - Help please

Hi to all. I am looking for some advice regarding sphincteroromy.
I had a sphincterotomy 12 days ago for a cronic anal fissure. I had a haemorhoid operation many years ago and also a sphincterotomy about 10 years ago for a similar condition both of which I recovered fine from.

Anyway, on the day of the surgery, my surgeon said I had a lateral internal sphincterotomy. He suggested that it should take 6 weeks to heal.

My problem is that in the days following surgery, I did not feel too bad. Some pain from site of the sphincterotomy, as well as some from the site of the fissure. There was also some bleeding but not excessive. After a few days it stopped bleeding and I thiought I was on the road to recovery.

In the last two days however, the bleeding has started again in earnest. I have to wear a pad so prevent soiling. Also, I am in a lot of pain which is coming from the site of the fissure . My heart is in my mouth as now I am very worried that I am not healing and the bleeding is really worrying.

I did not get constipated at all so I am puzzled at this backward step. Please can anyone that may have had a similar problem let me know what you think... Also, any other advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Gerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

Tweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB UserTweetums HB User
Re: Sphincterotomy - Help please

Hi, how are you doing?

I'm almost 6 weeks post LIS and fissurectomy, and today for the first time I've had bleeding with my bm. I'm absolutely totally upset over this, because I saw my crs three days' ago, and he said I was healing nicely. I've been off stool softeners and Miralax (because he said I should increase my fiber and wean off the softeners, etc.) - and my bms have been a bit hard. Today something started bleeding - and I don't know what.

So, I feel for you. Hang in there. I just pray and hope this will clear up, but I'll be frightened every time I go to the bathroom.

If you're bleeding heavily, I think you should call your doctor. I called the on-call exchange today, and the crs on call talked to me. He said it's not unusual to have post-op bleeding, and he advised me to get back on Colace.

Let us know how you're doing. I just now saw your comment, and I hope you're better. I'll pray for us all to be healed.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tweetums:
DailyHope (03-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
(male)

Imhere4 HB User

Hi to you and thanks for taking the time to reply. I did talk to the surgeon last week and he gave me a perscription for Scheriproct ointment. This has helped enormously with the pain as he said that it was most likely inflamation causing the upset.

Not a great day today, the fissure sure isnt gone, but he did tell me last week when I spoke to him that I was worrying prematurely and that he would expect some bleeding at this stage. He said I could have 3 or 4 more weeks ahead of me before I really am over the majority of the pain etc. He did also say that it can take even longer for a fissure to completely heal. He said that even though you may no longer have symptoms, the fissure may not be totally healed for several months.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

Hello, and I'm glad you got my reply - and thank you for replying to my reply.

Well, I guess there's no easy, quick road to recovering from this type of ordeal - but at least you've been able to talk with your doc and get something to help with the pain. --- The bleeding is just such an unnerving thing, IMO.

I went in this past Monday and had a doctor (in my crs's building) talk to me about my bleeding - which has been absent for the past two days. Anyway, my crs is overseas, on military duty for three months - so I can't see him until July, which is why I had to see a different doctor. Anyhow, the guy on Monday didn't examine me internally, but he looked at the general exterior area and didn't see anything awry. He said that, because I had an LIS and a fissurectomy, the area had undergone a "trauma" (that must be surgeon talk for saying the area is delicate) and that it probably got irritated - abraded - because of my constipation. --- So, I am back on Miralax and two stool softeners, per day.

A friend of mine, who recently had an LIS, said that his crs told him that completely sphincter healing takes about a year. So, we need a lot more time to fully recover.

I just want to heal, and I know you do, too. I will continue to pray for all of us who are going through this type of recovery. It can be extremely trying and emotionally tough.

Take care, and keep me posted as to your recovery.

Last edited by Tweetums; 03-15-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
(male)

Imhere4 HB User

No problem , will stay in touch, I guess all the online forums about no pain or bleeding 3 or 4 days after LIS are some peoples experiences however I suspect that those of us who have different experiences to them are more reluctant to go online and voice our concerns for some reason. Its nice however to talk to someone who has been in the same boat as myself. As for me, I have woken to the fact that it will be a long drawn out process and that there will be ups and downs along the way...

I wish you all the very best too and its been very helpfull to talk with you. I will stay in touch.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
(female)

I wish you the very best, too. I said an afternoon prayer for your (our) healing included.

ITA, this is a long, drawn-out process that will surely take a lot of time and patience, before we feel healed. I really have ups and downs - and I'm just trying not to lose my mind over this whole thing. I had months of horrendous fissure pain, and now I'm trying to cope with the post-op recovery, which has been more difficult that I anticipated or hoped it would be.

We gotta hang in there. Yes, please keep me posted. It helps to have the support of others - just to know that someone else out there is going through the same thing.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
(male)

Imhere4 HB User

Hi again, its me, your suffering buddy in Europe. Hope your keeping well, I would love to hear how you are getting on. As for me, well unfortunately the news is not good. I really dont think the fissure has healed at all. I get some good days and some really awful ones with occasional bleeding (bear in mind that its seven weeks today). I am waiting for my CRS to get back to me as I want to meet him in his surgery with my wife in attendance. (Unfortunately, the stress that this is causing me is also affecting her and we need to make some decisions soon)

As I probably said before, I have had previous operations in the anal area so I really think that this latest fissure may be the final straw and the amount of internal scarring in my rectum will prevent any permenent healing. I did speek to my CRS two weeks ago and he suggested botox injections but as I have had these before I opted for sphincterotomy. I fail to see how they could possibly help me now.

Truth is, I am so desperate, depressed, stressed that I am even at the point of considering a colostomy, just so my wife and I can go back to leading a normal life again. (I know that for me, no pueing means no pain so thats my reasoning)

Sorry if this mail is a bit disjointd but given my state of mind right now, I guess its not too bad

Again, hope your well...

G

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
(female)

Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry you're having such difficulties. I know that once that area is operated on, it can take awhile to heal.

The emotional stress that a fissure brings to someone's life cannot be understated, enough. It's horrendous to deal with, I know. I will pray harder for you -- but keep in mind, it does take awhile to heal, sometimes a long while. Please see your crs and let me know how you do.

On my end of things (no pun intended), I guess I've made some progress - but I still don't feel quite right down below. It's still sore and achey, and I have to wonder if it's ever going to be "normal," again.

I know you're going through absolute agony - again, I'll pray for you - please let me know how you do, and make sure you see your doctor, asap.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tweetums For This Useful Post:
Imhere4 (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
(female)

Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry you're having such difficulties. I know that once that area is operated on, it can take awhile to heal.

The emotional stress that a fissure brings to someone's life cannot be understated, enough. It's horrendous to deal with, I know. I will pray harder for you -- but keep in mind, it does take awhile to heal, sometimes a long while. Please see your crs and let me know how you do.

On my end of things (no pun intended), I guess I've made some progress - but I still don't feel quite right down below. It's still sore and achey, and I have to wonder if it's ever going to be "normal," again.

I know you're going through absolute agony - again, I'll pray for you - please let me know how you do, and make sure you see your doctor, asap.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
(male)

Imhere4 HB User

Just on a point of interest, do you still have bleeding episodes after a BM. For me, it appears that if the stool is anything other than soft, I bleed. On the other hand, if too soft, it irritates. Its a vicious circle. I have found though that some Vasolene on a cotton bud post BM helps a lot to keep everything lubricated and helps if walking. I have decided that all the creams and potions are best left to Harry Potter movies at this stage and the Vasolene is as good as anything.

Thank you so much for your prayers, and I hope and pray that you too will make a full recovery. Again, I wil stay in touch with any changes

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
(female)

I did have a terrible setback - with constipation and bleeding (as a result of the constipation), about six weeks' after my surgery. That was a month ago - the setback. --- Since then, I got back on Miralax (a softener) and a fiber supplement, and I haven't had anymore bleeding.

So, I'm already more than two months' past my surgery, and I still have soreness, irritation, etc. I went to see a 4th crs (because the one who did my surgery is now overseas) - and he said I'm 90% healed. That was two weeks' ago - but I don't feel like I'm healed.

Really, I think it takes a long, long, LONG time to get past this. Have you thought about giving yourself a little more time? It's taken me a long time, just to get this far - and I still do NOT feel healed. --- It's hard to get the bms just right - not too hard, not too soft. I still struggle with that.

I will sincerely pray for both of us. Maybe if we have enough time, we'll feel better. I sure hope so. I'm tired of this, and I know you are, also.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Just want to let people know of my experiences.

Very briefly suffered from anal itching for decades and discomfort in that area since about 2003.

In the months leading to June 2010 the discomfort turned to a lot of pain - mostly referred into hip, upper buttock and running down leg into knee. I was passing a lot of mucus after bowel movements. Also groin and right testicule pain - all pain on right hand side only and was constant which was not good.

After finally seeing a doctor at end of June 2010 I was referred to the hospital for investigation but with various cancellations by them it took 14 weeks to have this done by a qualified nurse - she looked at the first 12 inches of the back passage - she took biopsies etc but said everything looked perfect.

I waited until the end of January 2011 to see the consultant who was desperate to discharge me as nothing had been found apart from a cyst in my right testicule that was picked up in an ultrasound I also had. Insisting that he examine me he found an anal fissure for which he said would have been driving me up the wall - how true!

Over the following months tried the ointment then Botox injections but nothing helped - finally consultant agreed I needed the surgery and have the LIS - after saying I could go private this was done within 3 days!

Terrible pain for a few weeks after op but was willing to put up with that but now 6 weeks after I have just had a bad bowel movement and a bowl full of blood and whilst pain had been improving now it is back and worse - hoping this pain is temporary and seeing consultant in 6 days so at least good timing to get his take on this.

I still have right testicule pain but this was getting more tolerable until this happened - both areas of pain seem to magnify the overall pain I am dealing with.

I am presently off work as I mainly sit and it is all problem solving etc and having pain and taking tramadol is not good - tramadol does not take much pain away but helps mentally to cope albeit turns me into a virtual zombie.

I could go into a lot more detail but this is basically me at the moment - I will post back with progress to help others.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
(female)

IMO, recovery from this type of surgery (of the anal sort) takes a lot of time for some people.

You're still early into your recovery - and I'm 2 1/2 months past my surgery and am still having some discomfort and soreness.

I'll pray for your healing andy speedy recovery. Are you taking anything - like a softener or laxative - to keep things moving easily?

BTW, when I've had my sorest moments down there, it's also been uncomfortable for me in the urinary area. I think that everything is so close together down there, that pain in one area might affect the other area.

Last edited by Tweetums; 04-18-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
(male)

andmaz777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetums View Post
IMO, recovery from this type of surgery (of the anal sort) takes a lot of time for some people.

You're still early into your recovery - and I'm 2 1/2 months past my surgery and am still having some discomfort and soreness.

I'll pray for your healing andy speedy recovery. Are you taking anything - like a softener or laxative - to keep things moving easily?

BTW, when I've had my sorest moments down there, it's also been uncomfortable for me in the urinary area. I think that everything is so close together down there, that pain in one area might affect the other area.

I have started taking the laxative again but yesterday due to this my bowel movement felt like it might be my last - dramatic but the agony is that bad -been bad like that a few times now as its very difficult to judge the quantity of laxative needed as variety of diet each day and number of tramadol taken all play a part.

Bottom line for me is that most bowel movements seem ok as my pain is generally 24/7 anyway but that is probably down to the delay on going to the doctor and the lengthy delay in getting any diagnosis - I read on another forum that you have to push and not take no for an answer hence my consultant did find something and it only took him seconds to see just what was going iro the anal fissure.

Glad my consultant visit is only next week as I am starting to worry about work - I have good sick leave entitlement but you never know what Human Resources are thinking etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmaz777 View Post
I have started taking the laxative again but yesterday due to this my bowel movement felt like it might be my last - dramatic but the agony is that bad -been bad like that a few times now as its very difficult to judge the quantity of laxative needed as variety of diet each day and number of tramadol taken all play a part.

Bottom line for me is that most bowel movements seem ok as my pain is generally 24/7 anyway but that is probably down to the delay on going to the doctor and the lengthy delay in getting any diagnosis - I read on another forum that you have to push and not take no for an answer hence my consultant did find something and it only took him seconds to see just what was going iro the anal fissure.

Glad my consultant visit is only next week as I am starting to worry about work - I have good sick leave entitlement but you never know what Human Resources are thinking etc.
I don't know what country you're in, but I'm in the western part of the U.S. - and I always get in to see any crs, very quickly - usually within a week. One time, I was in pain and called for an appt., and I was seen within the hour.

So, yes, push for your best interests!

The thing about the pain is that, like in my case, it has gone on forever -- however, in stages. I feel discomfort right now, but it's actually more in the surrounding muscle - perhaps bone area down there, somewhere - and my anal area isn't bad at all. HOWEVER, it's taken me nearly three months to get to this point - and I'm still not pain free.

It just takes a long time -- and that's the general consensus out there, especially if you had more than a LIS done. I had both a LIS and a fissurectomy, which has made for a challenging recovery.

As to balancing the diet/fiber/softener . . . I know exactly what you mean. I've been doing that dance here, too, trying to find the right "formula." So, what works best for me is fiber cereal in the morning, fiber supplement (mixed in water) at noon, and Miralax at night. For now, that's my program, because it's working. At some point, I do hope to cut back on the Miralax, but my crs said I'd probably need the fiber supplement for the rest of my life.

Whatever works. Whatever makes me heal and keeps my bottom okay, that's what I'll do. --- Anyhow, you're in my prayers!

Reply Reply