It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

LuSmith HB User
Scared it's not IBS

Hey there.

Hoping someone can help me with my concerns! I've been to the drs several times with the same bothersome symptoms that are getting me down but time and time again I keep being refused a colonoscopy. I was turned away with drs telling me my symptoms are probably just ibs which I believed at first until the other day.

Ever since my third trimester (seven months ago now) I've had bowel issues. I don't know if some can be hormonal but however. During the third trimester I had awful diarrhea that didn't stop until I had my baby. I was going sometimes up to 7 times a day on a bad day.

After the birth of my baby a few days later I started suffering severe gas and constant feeling like I needed to go. This feeling has been with me for five months now.
My stools changed to a type 5 stool.. Sometimes type 6 but very sticky and broken up. They have been like this for five months except for the one odd day I had bad diarrhea.

My symptoms are as follows-
Full feeling in rectum
Bloating and gas
I go sometimes five times on a bad day!!
Sticky narrow stools
Sore abdomen
Feeling like I always need to go
Can't evacuate bowels properly

I put these symptoms all down to Ibs but then a week or do ago noticed a small amount of blood. A few days ago I noticed again. This has made me paranoid.

I've had a full blood count taken for other reasons only a few days ago and it's come back that the dr needs to speak to me. So here I am thinking the worst. I have vaginal bleeding that has already been looked into but I've been bleeding 21 weeks with that and had regular blood checks and it's all been normal before.

A few things to note- during my third tri because of my diarrhea and the fact I was pregnant they took a stool sample which was checked for infection and occult and it came back normal. I had a blood test apparently for colitis. Also came back normal.
I had hemmorhoids during the end of my pregnancy which worsened after but they have gone down quite a lot now and I would doubt the bleeding I saw would be from them?? The most I noticed when they were bad was a small amount of blood on the toilet paper.

I'm 27, was healthy before I had my baby (suffered from IC but am used to it). What worries me is I have a family history of bowel disorders. My mothers mother died of bowel cancer and my dads father had bowel disease (but although ill with many probs is still alive). My mum had diverticulitis and had a polyp removed too and my bro has colitis.

Do you think it's unlikely I have anything to worry about? I can't get my dr to refer me despite all this.

My recent blood test worries me and I can't speak to my dr until at least Monday so am very worried.

I just yesterday went to an emergency doctor as I have a tender abdomen, and I had a small lump right in the center of my abdomen - it turned out I have a slight beginnings of a hernia which could have been from my laparoscopy surgery maybe, I don't know. I also mentioned my bowel problems to him, and he felt my rectum physically and said he couldn't feel anything unusual or abnormal, all I had was some stool. I can't evacuate my bowels completely which gets me down, any idea what this might be?! I'm not sure if it's an IBS symptom... it's not constipation as I'm not constipated and it's softer than normal. He said I wasnt bleeding and that my hemmorhoids are really really small now. So I don't know what the bleeding I saw previously could have been!

I'm besides myself with worry now...

The following user gives a hug of support to LuSmith:
Cat65 (03-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
(female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User
Re: Scared it's not IBS

It could be very well you have nothing to worry about but the problem is if you are worried then its not going to go away untill you have your colonoscopy to put your mind at ease. You have a young baby to look after and could well do without the worry. Explain to the doctor how you feel and how you would feel so much better if you could have the colonoscopy to ease your worries. Do you have a female doctor sometimes I think they have more sympathy than many of the male doctors. I would be adamant that you want a colonoscopy.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

LuSmith HB User

Thanks.. I'm gonna do my best to persuade my doctor tomorrow that I really need to see at least a gastroentrologist to discuss this as I'm not happy. It may take a while to be referred for something like this but its driving me crazy with worry and I suppose my symptoms will not go if I'm worrying constantly!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSmith View Post
Thanks.. I'm gonna do my best to persuade my doctor tomorrow that I really need to see at least a gastroentrologist to discuss this as I'm not happy. It may take a while to be referred for something like this but its driving me crazy with worry and I suppose my symptoms will not go if I'm worrying constantly!
I hate the way doctors fob you off all the time. You know your own body and you know if something doesnt feel right. It may very well be irritable bowel but if it is ,you want to know then you can put your mind at rest. I to have irritable bowel I have suffered for many years since the age of about 17 I am now 61. I have had numerous colonoscopies. Mine was constipation related I actually went 3 weeks without going and was out of my mind. Fortunately I went to a homeopath who put me straight I have never looked back I do not need to take any laxatives of any kind now and have not done so for the last 15. months Thanks to her advice. Good luck

Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

LuSmith HB User

Sorry to hear you've suffered for so long with it but it's good to hear you have it under control! My doctor seems to think mine might be constipation even though I can still go (which is causing the narrowing softer stools). I haven't been able to empty my bowels properly and have rectal hypersensitivity but he doesn't seem too worried about it. He's agreed to let me take in a stool sample though and we're rechecking my blood levels and iron and folic acid. My last blood test had a lower white blood cell count and a slightly low red blood cell count but my hemoglobin was borderline still, so it's being done again. When all my results are back hopefully by Monday I'll probably have a bigger picture and wioll ask for another referral to a GI or something as I wish to get to the bottom of this and see someone who can help me with my digestive problems!!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSmith View Post
Sorry to hear you've suffered for so long with it but it's good to hear you have it under control! My doctor seems to think mine might be constipation even though I can still go (which is causing the narrowing softer stools). I haven't been able to empty my bowels properly and have rectal hypersensitivity but he doesn't seem too worried about it. He's agreed to let me take in a stool sample though and we're rechecking my blood levels and iron and folic acid. My last blood test had a lower white blood cell count and a slightly low red blood cell count but my hemoglobin was borderline still, so it's being done again. When all my results are back hopefully by Monday I'll probably have a bigger picture and wioll ask for another referral to a GI or something as I wish to get to the bottom of this and see someone who can help me with my digestive problems!!
Good luck keep me informed how you get on Hope everything turns out ok

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
(female)

bixa525 HB User

Can I ask what your homeopath suggested you do to relieve your constipation?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

To LuSmith....Today I just posted a lengthy response to the thread "My life revolves around the toilet" here in this forum. Please go there and read my response. I hope it helps your situation. Best wishes!

Closed Thread