It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

PW06 HB User
Is this a lazy bowel?

I have a problem with what I call a lazy bowel. It seems that I am constipated but the stool is never hard, always fairly soft. I just don't get any urges to "go" except at 6:30 am. Even then I might not get an urge at all. I always sit for a few minutes when I get up just in case but quite often - nothing. I don't and never have taken laxitives but I will on occasion take magnesium citrate as this seems to be the only thing to make things move.
This has been going on for several years. Actually since I began menopause. I am now 65 and otherwise in very good health. Last year I had a colonoscopy and found out I have an extra long loop of bowel that prevents a colonoscopy from being completed so I had a barium xray to finish the job. Everything checked out ok.
In the past I have had many symptoms varying from painful gas to unexplained diarhea to constipation. I always figured I had IBS symptons but my doctors ignored my symptoms.
Is there anything I can do to tone the muscles of my bowel so I would have regular movements like most people?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Is this a lazy bowel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW06 View Post
I have a problem with what I call a lazy bowel. It seems that I am constipated but the stool is never hard, always fairly soft. I just don't get any urges to "go" except at 6:30 am. Even then I might not get an urge at all. I always sit for a few minutes when I get up just in case but quite often - nothing. I don't and never have taken laxitives but I will on occasion take magnesium citrate as this seems to be the only thing to make things move.
This has been going on for several years. Actually since I began menopause. I am now 65 and otherwise in very good health. Last year I had a colonoscopy and found out I have an extra long loop of bowel that prevents a colonoscopy from being completed so I had a barium xray to finish the job. Everything checked out ok.
In the past I have had many symptoms varying from painful gas to unexplained diarhea to constipation. I always figured I had IBS symptons but my doctors ignored my symptoms.
Is there anything I can do to tone the muscles of my bowel so I would have regular movements like most people?
Try doing pelvic floor exercises and using bulk forming laxatives like metamucil and Citrucell 2-3 times a day. Just make sure you drink at least an 8oz .glass of water after you take the metamucil or Citrucell. This will help to maintain regularity. If you tend to have a bowel movement at 6:30 am then make it a regular routine everyday to sit on the toilet at that time. I have found sitting on the toilet everyday at the same time for 30 minutes and doing slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have a bowel movement works the best for me. It relaxes you and relaxes all your muscles making it a lot easier to go. If I put on relaxing music it helps me to concentrate on my slow deep breathing and allows me to relax a lot better. I can't go more than 36 hours without having a bowel movement or I can't go without straining really hard to pass hard stool. I use a glycerin suppository if I haven't moved my bowels within 36 hours. If i don't drink enough water and eat enough fiber then I can't go . The extra loop you mentioned I think is called a tortuous colon which can cause you to get constipated a lot faster because the stool has to go through the extra loop slowing the stool moving down the colon. Eating a lot of fiber and drinking lots of water and having daily time on the toilet to have a bowel movement should help the constipation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread