It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

zorababy HB User
Unhappy Experiencing constipation after hemorrhoidectomy surgery

I recently had a large skin tag and some hemorrhoids removed 2 days ago. I had a small BM the night of surgery. After the procedure I was given milk of magnesia 1 time. Initially, the physician wasn't going to discharge me until after I had a BM. Directly after the surgery, I had a hard time peeing, which resolved itself. Only a day after the surgery, I was discharged home. I was told nothing about stool softeners or diet! Since I got home last night, I have taken 2 OTC gelcap stool softeners, dose of exlax and just a minute a go, o dose of milk of magnesia. My stomach is distended and firm. I am 5 foot and only 105 lbs. I look like a little starved third world baby! Does anyone know if I can use a suppository? I'm really hungry, but I don't dare eat anything more solid. Its Sunday and the Dr's office is closed. I need help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Experiencing constipation after hemorrhoidectomy surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorababy View Post
I recently had a large skin tag and some hemorrhoids removed 2 days ago. I had a small BM the night of surgery. After the procedure I was given milk of magnesia 1 time. Initially, the physician wasn't going to discharge me until after I had a BM. Directly after the surgery, I had a hard time peeing, which resolved itself. Only a day after the surgery, I was discharged home. I was told nothing about stool softeners or diet! Since I got home last night, I have taken 2 OTC gelcap stool softeners, dose of exlax and just a minute a go, o dose of milk of magnesia. My stomach is distended and firm. I am 5 foot and only 105 lbs. I look like a little starved third world baby! Does anyone know if I can use a suppository? I'm really hungry, but I don't dare eat anything more solid. Its Sunday and the Dr's office is closed. I need help!!!
You can use a glycerin suppository but make sure you put some vaseline just inside your rectum and outside too and a generous amount on the suppository itself. It makes it easier for the hard stool to pass and it helps prevent skin from getting irritated. The suppository can take up to an hour to work Lie on your left side on the bed with your left leg pulled up towards your chest and your right leg straight. Stay in this position for at least 20 minutes or until you get a very strong urge to have a bowel movement. I had a friend who had this surgery and this is how she had to have bowel movements for up to a week after surgery. she had to fill the tub with warm water sit in it and have your bowel movement in it. Gross I know but she told me that she couldn't go any other way because it was too painful otherwise. Drink lots of water at least 64 0z. a day and eat 6 prunes in the morning at breakfast and warmed prune juice at night before going to bed and take either Metamucil or Citrucell at least 2 times a day. you want your bowel movements to be soft and everyday so it won't cause more hemorrhoids or undue the surgery that has been done. Get 20 minutes of exercise a day. Have a set time schedule for sitting on the toilet everyday to move your bowels to prevent constipation which leads excessive straining and forcing hard stool out and cause more hemorrhoids and anal fissures. I have had chronic constipation problems all my life until last March when I changed my diet and how much water I drink and having a scheduled time everyday to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. If I don't enough fiber and drink enough water and don't move my bowels daily then it hurts to go the next day. I also found that when i don't drink water and eat healthy then it can take me up to 30 minutes to move my bowels verses 5-10 minutes. I hope this is of some help to you like has been for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to flipfleury:
zorababy (03-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

zorababy HB User
Wink Re: Experiencing constipation after hemorrhoidectomy surgery

Thank you! I feel a little better...going without too much trouble. Man! What a God Awful surgery! Worst pain ever....Thanks for the perfect advice!

Closed Thread

Tags
constipation, hemorrhoidectomy