It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
(female)

val103 HB User
Smile Hammoredictomy recovery

Hi Folks

Well I've sat and read nearly all of your posts and to be honest, i've really enjoyed them, 1st thing to make me laugh out loud throught this miserable experience.

I'm on day 6 after my op, and Jesus I'm still literally scared ********...

I had my op last wed, lovely hosp, all went well. 1st thing i remember when i woke up was serious pain in my butt. only lasted minutes as the nurses were brill, as soon as i had any pain they gave me a shot and i was grand!

Had my wee, not a bother, and left to go home. I was charmed, it was all over and i felt good. I slept nearly all of that day and all of that night. I took all the meds they gave me and was hunky dory! I was on difene, tramadol and ducolac.

Thursday morn, all was good and I was surprised how well I felt, a little sore down below, but not as bad as when my piles were inflamed post op!

I very stupidly decided pre-op, that I wouldn't have any food, just liquids for the 1st couple of weeks, Not possible, I felt lousey and hungry all the time. I'm pretty sure this didn't help in any way with recovery and just had me feeling weak and sicky.

Grand all day thursday, couldn't believe my luck, Got tired very easily though, so I had an early night, went to be about 10.30 (yeah thats early for me!), but forgot to take my meds before I went to bed!

We woke up about 630am on Friday, couldn't even turn over onto my back in the bed, the pain was gigantic! I lay there for about an hour crying until I eventually woke my hubby. He was brill and got me all my meds and ice. I took them all and fell asleep until about 9.30. I got up and didn't feel too bad, and figured I'd gotten back ontop of the pain! No such luck, at about 11 the pain started to rise again and I wasn't due any meds so I had to battle it out. I decided to have a cigarette (i'd been off them for about 2 weeks!) big mistake, I'd only had a couple of puffs when I felt woozy (weak) and started to vomit! This had never happened to me before so I was terrified and quickly rang my neighbour and pal. They came straight in lay me on my couch. I lay there for over 2 hours and the pain was getting worse and worse. So I knew I couldn't manage it at all. I rang my surgeon and luckly he said to come a see him straight away. an hour later I arrived at the surgery!

While waiting to see him, I overheard the receptionist mention my name and had a bed booked for me in the hospital! So, even before i'd seen the surgeon, he must have know I needed to be kept in! He checked my site (not even slightly embarrased any more, cause the pain was so bad!) No infection and all looked good he said, but he was taking me in anyhow, just for pain relief and to stay there until I had my first BM.

The nurses were fab, and within an hour I was wondering if I'd imagined all the pain.

They had me on Oxinorm, Oxicontin, Diclac, Losec, Motlilum and Ducolax.

I think they deliberatly gave me the runs to make me go! This worked.

I stayed in hosp for 2 nights and am ok. They gave me the exact same meds to take at home, but less of the motilium and ducolax. Well, it works so well in the hosp, no pain with bm's, I've continued to break the rules and upped the dosage of motilium and ducolax. I know I still have the runs, but I'm terrified of facing a bm without them.

It's now day 6 and I'm ok, not sure if I like the way that oxicontin/oxinorm, make me feel, very out of it!, but to be honest if it controls the pain so be it. Oh forgot to mention sits baths 5 times a day and if you're in any way afraid of BM's. just do it in your Sitz bath, (embarrassing i know, but who's to know, just don't tell anyone else!)

Oh, and being very careful what I eat!

I'll update in a couple of days and let you know how I am then.

Any questions I'll happily answer, it's a tough time, but we'll get through it!

Take care

Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread