It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
(male)

alkg2001 HB User
IBS? Colon Cancer? Something else?

I have mild constipation (5 days), stool appears thinner and shorter, I feel full but not uncomfortably, no gas passing (vary rarely). I need to strain in order to produce stool. I am 37 years old, slightly obesse, not much vegetables in my diet. What are the chances of having colon cancer? Or is it IBS? Or something else?

thanks a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: IBS? Colon Cancer? Something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkg2001 View Post
I have mild constipation (5 days), stool appears thinner and shorter, I feel full but not uncomfortably, no gas passing (vary rarely). I need to strain in order to produce stool. I am 37 years old, slightly obesse, not much vegetables in my diet. What are the chances of having colon cancer? Or is it IBS? Or something else?

thanks a lot!
Going 5 days in a row without having a bowel movement isn't a mild case of constipation, 1-3 days is mild. Straining to produce a bowel movement is not only painful but can cause anal fissures,hemorrhoids,prolapsed rectum if you do this on a regular basis.
You need to change your diet,drink lots of water,and have better bowel habits. Take it from someone who has suffered from chronic constipation all my life until last March 2011. I was sick and tired of being constantly constipated all the time and having to strain excessively and forcing myself to push out large,hard,dry stool to the point of tears streaming down my face because it was so painful to go. Fortunately,I never caused any hemorrhoids,anal fissures,or prolapsed rectum but my luck was eventually going to run out someday and that would make it hurt even more to have a BM.
This what I have learned about constipation and how to prevent it from happening in the first place. Constipation is caused by the lack of fiber in our daily diet, our lack of adequate water intake,lack of exercise, and poor bowel habits- not going when we get the urge to go and delaying too long to go after the initial urge to go, waiting too many days of not moving our bowels before we take action to do something about it,and not making time in our schedule everyday to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement.
Once I started eating a high fiber diet 25-35 grams a day, drinking 8 8 oz. glasses of water a day, getting exercise for 30 minutes everyday,taking a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucell in the morning and after work,most importantly is to have set time schedule for 30 minutes everyday to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I have found doing slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have had a bowel movement makes it painless to go.The slow deep breathing exercises relaxes the rectal and anal sphincter muscles making it easier for the stool to pass through the rectum and anus. I now move my bowels daily at least once in the morning even before I get into the shower and sometimes two more times if I have gotten plenty of fiber and water into my diet the day before. I no longer have constipation problems as long as I stick to my daily routines.
Being constantly constipated all the time makes you and I more prone to colon and rectal cancers later on in life plus all the pain and agony of not being able to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
(male)

alkg2001 HB User
Re: IBS? Colon Cancer? Something else?

Thank you for your much valuable comment. I went to the doctor and he said the same about fiber, water and exercise. Still, I planned a colonoscopy just to be on the safe side, though he did not make it urgent.

best

Closed Thread

Tags
constipation, thin stools constipation colon discomfort