It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

candice35 HB User
White hard flecks in stools

Hi, Im new here and would love to get some advice or guidance.
My son aged 4 suffers from chronic constipation and only passes stools every 3 to 4 days. A month ago, I discovered his stools were covered with sesame seed shaped flecks which are white and unbreakable.
Since then, He has had blood and stools tests but all the doctors said was he is slightly anemic (no infection or parasites).
Im obviously very worried because the doctors don't have a clue about this (not even a paedetrician!). My son tells me his legs and hands hurt which makes me think he could have a joint/bone problem. Im sure it is all linked somehow.
Has anyone experienced this at all or heard of it???
A worried mummy.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: White hard flecks in stools

Quote:
Originally Posted by candice35 View Post
Hi, Im new here and would love to get some advice or guidance.
My son aged 4 suffers from chronic constipation and only passes stools every 3 to 4 days. A month ago, I discovered his stools were covered with sesame seed shaped flecks which are white and unbreakable.
Since then, He has had blood and stools tests but all the doctors said was he is slightly anemic (no infection or parasites).
Im obviously very worried because the doctors don't have a clue about this (not even a paedetrician!). My son tells me his legs and hands hurt which makes me think he could have a joint/bone problem. Im sure it is all linked somehow.
Has anyone experienced this at all or heard of it???
A worried mummy.
Get a referral to a gastroenterologist(preferably one the specializies in pediatric patients. I suggest you push for at least a barium enema(lower G.I. series) if not a colonoscopy just to be on the safe side. Get more extensive blood tests done.
In the meantime put your son a high fiber diet and have him drink water instead of milk and sodas which both can make constipation worse. Soda dehydrates you because of the caffeine in it and milk sometimes can be constipating if you're already prone to getting constipated. Give him oatmeal in the mornings for breakfast and prune juice warmed slightly in the microwave oven, 4 oz. in the morning and 4 oz. with his dinner. Sit him on the toilet after breakfast everyday about 20-30 minutes after he finishes eating for 5-10 minutes to see if he will have a bowel movement and then again after every meal. Doing this on a regular basis will help his body get used to a routine and he will go after his meals. Give him one vegetable and one fresh fruit with his lunch and dinner. If you get him into the habit of going to sit on the toilet after his meals to move his bowels then hopefully he won't be constipated and carry this all through his life. You don't want him to have this problem all of his life and you don't want him to be more prone to colon and rectal cancer years down the road as he ages.
I am almost 51 years old and have had chronic constipation all my life
until last March 2011. I now eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of water,plus take citrucell twice a day( morning and at night) and have a set time schedule everyday for sitting on the toilet to move my bowels. If I follow this routine everyday I don't get constipated but if I deviate from it more than one day then I pay the awful painful price by not being able to go. I wish I had done this years ago and saved myself from a lot of pain and agony of being chronically constipated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread