It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

ISLA28 HB User
Exclamation Advice needed!! bowel blockage due to adhesions

Hi, I am worried sick and would really appreciate any advice.

My husband had severe abdominal pain yesterday, after 6 hours the pain was unbearable so I took him to the GP - who advised it was probably a stomach bug as he had vomited on the way to surgery - despite my concern that his pain was constant and unbearable! We left with a prescripition of strong painkillers and were advised if the pain moved to right side to go to a&e.

An 1hr later following further bouts of sickness and in terrible pain I decided to take him to hospital as this seemed more than just a stomach bug. On entering the hospital he got worse, the pain was unbearable and he was on the verge of fainting and was sweating and shaking. He was quickly give morphine and anti-sickness drugs and x-rays confirmed he had an enlarged bowel and his white cell count was very high. That night he was put on a drip and his stomach contents emptied through a tube in his nose. The morphine worked well until the early hours when he awoke again in terrible pain and could not stop vomiting alot of brown bile and blood, they had to re-adjust the tube and up his painkillers.

Today he seems more settled and his stats are good. The doctor advised that he thinks a previous abdominal operation has caused adhesions to cause a bowel obstruction. The plan is to leave him on the saline drip and drain his stomach if his stats remain ok they will remove it in 24hrs and monitor him eating and there will be no need for a ct scan. My concern is that this severe reaction is surely a sign that there are serious adhesions?? and surely he would need a ct scan to find out the extent of these adhesions even if the blockage does clear!!! The Dr's reaction was that we don't want to expose people to radiation if it's not needed!!! I'm just concerened that they are not acting quickly enough and causing more damage to his bowel?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread