It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(male)

BigSpur HB User
Can Constipation cause a enlarged Xiphoid Process?

I've been constipated for about the past week and a few days ago I noticed a large lump in the center of my chest at the bottom of my sternum. I've looked it up and I think its my Xiphoid Process. Can constipation cause an enlarged Xiphoid Process?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Can Constipation cause a enlarged Xiphoid Process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpur View Post
I've been constipated for about the past week and a few days ago I noticed a large lump in the center of my chest at the bottom of my sternum. I've looked it up and I think its my Xiphoid Process. Can constipation cause an enlarged Xiphoid Process?
If your abdomen is distended and hard enough from the constipation it could possibly pressing on it enough to enlarge it.. I recommend you go see your doctor as soon as possible to get the xiphoid process checked out as well as get the doctor do an x-ray to see if you have a possible bowel obstruction which can be life threatening.
Aren't you in pain from not moving your bowels for that long ? I have had lifelong problems with chronic constipation and irritable bowel syndrome and know the pain,bloating,distended abdomen and hard it gets not mention the pain from straining and forcing so hard to try to move your bowels. I no longer allow myself to go more than 36-48 hours without moving my bowels. I use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool in my rectum so it doesn't hurt quite as much to move my bowels as it does without it. The one thing that has helped the most to maintain regularity to have a set time schedule everyday to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I allow 30 minutes a day to do this. I take slow deep breaths continuously until I have moved my bowels. It doesn't hurt like the straining does because it's relaxing all your muscles including the rectal and anal muscles allowing the stool pass easier. I now eat a high fiber diet and drinks lots of water to help keep my stools to remain soft enough to pass but firm enough so that it's not diarrhea. I hope this will help you to keep from getting so constipated in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
(male)

BigSpur HB User

I'm constipated due to the medication (Opiates) I'm taking. I've taken stool softeners the past 2 days and am going to get some Mirolax on my lunch break to see if that will help. And one of my problems is I wanna get my bowel movement over with as quick as possible so I dont spend that long on the toilet. I usually dont have issues until I start taking Opiates which cause massive constipation

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpur View Post
I'm constipated due to the medication (Opiates) I'm taking. I've taken stool softeners the past 2 days and am going to get some Mirolax on my lunch break to see if that will help. And one of my problems is I wanna get my bowel movement over with as quick as possible so I dont spend that long on the toilet. I usually dont have issues until I start taking Opiates which cause massive constipation
I am a home health aide and work with hospice clients a lot and I know that opiates cause constipation. This is what our hospice nurses tell our patients and patients families to do: Takes 2 sennakot and 2 stool softeners twice a day (morning and evening) and if that doesn't work then increase it to 3 times a day. They tell clients not to go without a having bowel movement for more than 3 days in a row and if by the 3rd day then start using a suppository. If they go 4 days then the nurse gives them another suppository plus a enema and disimpacts them if the suppository and enema don't work.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
(male)

BigSpur HB User

Thanks for the advice. Ima try the Mirolax tonight and if that doenst help ill try a suppository tomorrow

Can the constipation also cause indigestion....cause where this lump is in the muddle of my chest it feels tight and kind of bloated feelin

Last edited by BigSpur; 04-30-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Miralax should be taken early in the morning and then drink a lot of water during the day for it to work. Miralax does not work like laxatives do.

The hard stools that are already formed will not absorb enough water to pass easy. I prefer to use low water enemas in increments until the dry hard stools are passed.

Drinking a large glass of very warm/hot water early in the morning will help get things moving.

Closed Thread