It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

StrifeI HB User
Could use insight and support?

Tonight I had to go to the hospital. For the past three days I've had very dark and weird stools and they turned tarry tonight and the doctor on call wanted me to be checked out.

I've been on the antibiotic Cephlexin for 7 days and was starting another 7 day run today and I at first thought it was all that medication.

I've been horribly bloated and nauseated but 0 pain.

At the emergency room, they pressed on my stomach and there was 0 tenderness, my hemoglobin and all my blood levels were good as were my Heart Rate and BP. They said I likely had an ulcer and prescribed Protonix and told me to follow up with my doctor ASAP.

They also told me to continue my antibiotic because it likely had nothing to do with this.

I'm worried and upset

I'm afraid of what's going on in my stomach too.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Could use insight and support?

Very dark to black stools indicate you have passed blood high up the GI tract may the stomach. Did they do a culture on your stool sample --- it would have shown blood present if there was any? But, tarry black is a definite indication of blood. What are you taking the antibiotic for??? Food as well as med can cause dark stools!!

The problem with ERs are you have to be very sick to be treated there-- unless you are actively bleeding with some pain --they will discharge you... An ulcer is treatable and protoics is a Good Proton Pump Inhibitor.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-01-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

StrifeI HB User

I'm on antibiotics because of extensive Dental work I have going on (getting another tooth removed Tuesday)

They didn't take a stool sample. Today I saw my doctor and they are scheduling me for an upper GI and I have more blood work tomorrow.

They are keeping me on the protonix but I've been given the ok to continue my antibiotic as they said that it wouldn't have caused an ulcer and it was likely just a coincidence.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

StrifeI,
It is reasonable to be concerned with unusual dark stools. But, 85% of ulcers in the Gastro system are caused by H pylori bacteria that was discovered in 1982 by a Doctor Barry Marshall in Australlan -- it is cured by antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor.

I get gastritis of the stomach every time I take an antibiotic for 4 or 5 days but gastritis is painful and bloating. I have found that taking coconut oil help the candida problem but an OTC remedy helps cures the gastritis Mastica along with a probiotic.

Antibiotics cause the friendly bacteria to get out of balance and need to be rebalanced. Yogurt and Kefir are also good to keep the GI system balanced.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

StrifeI HB User

Thank you so much for your support Harry. They've scheduled my upper gi for Monday at 9 am

They will be checking me for H pylori but also Celiac disease as I have had stomach problems for years. I guess if it's celiac disease there will be signs in there somewhere.

I'm allergic to coconut but I've been drinking Kefir to try and get my gut into ok shape. I really like the kefir too. It's a good probiotic

I will keep the board updated with how my procedure goes and things

Closed Thread