It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

loren77 HB User
Update... 3 Scopes in Almost a year!!??

Hi All! I post here occasionally but haven't posted for awhile so just to give everyone a quick background I am 24, on many medications as I have anxiety, migraines, chronic pain, muscle spasms, as well as IBS and duodenal ulcers. I suffered from diarrhea frequently but am taking lomotil to control this, as it comes fast and sudden and I am always concerned about an accident.

I just started a new summer job, just for the summer as I go to university during the year. I am nervous whenever I go to work because I am afraid of having an accident, not to mention I have to stand which can sometimes cause unbearable pain in my joints because of my chronic pain.

I had a sigmoidoscopy last year that could not be completed due to a blockage of well, stool that wasn't cleared, and was told to take laxatives, my issue was diarrhea (black sometimes) so of course this worsened everything. I then had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done, colonoscopy clear so diagnosed with IBS, gastroscopy revealed duodenal ulcers, taking a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) to prevent so much acid production so the ulcers can heal.

About a month and a half ago I started having rectal bleeding when I use the washroom, sometimes a bit on the tp, sometimes a lot dripping into the toilet and on stool and once dripped staining my underwear. I am wondering if anyone knows what this could be? The doctor wants to send me for another colonoscopy but if it was clear in november what would be the point doing it again?

Any help/advice is appreciated. I am very frustrated and between my pain in muscles and joints and this fear of needing the washroom or bleeding occasionally at work is frustrating to deal with!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Update... 3 Scopes in Almost a year!!??

I am guessing your doctor wants you to have a colonoscopy since the rectal bleeding is a new development. A colonoscopy is a different and a much more through exam than a sigmoidoscopy; this will rule out something serious than a hemmorhoid or anal fissure causing that bleeding.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren77 View Post
Hi All! I post here occasionally but haven't posted for awhile so just to give everyone a quick background I am 24, on many medications as I have anxiety, migraines, chronic pain, muscle spasms, as well as IBS and duodenal ulcers. I suffered from diarrhea frequently but am taking lomotil to control this, as it comes fast and sudden and I am always concerned about an accident.

I just started a new summer job, just for the summer as I go to university during the year. I am nervous whenever I go to work because I am afraid of having an accident, not to mention I have to stand which can sometimes cause unbearable pain in my joints because of my chronic pain.

I had a sigmoidoscopy last year that could not be completed due to a blockage of well, stool that wasn't cleared, and was told to take laxatives, my issue was diarrhea (black sometimes) so of course this worsened everything. I then had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy done, colonoscopy clear so diagnosed with IBS, gastroscopy revealed duodenal ulcers, taking a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) to prevent so much acid production so the ulcers can heal.

About a month and a half ago I started having rectal bleeding when I use the washroom, sometimes a bit on the tp, sometimes a lot dripping into the toilet and on stool and once dripped staining my underwear. I am wondering if anyone knows what this could be? The doctor wants to send me for another colonoscopy but if it was clear in november what would be the point doing it again?

Any help/advice is appreciated. I am very frustrated and between my pain in muscles and joints and this fear of needing the washroom or bleeding occasionally at work is frustrating to deal with!
Did the doctor do a rectal exam on you ? If so,did he say whether you had hemorrhoids ? Anal fissures can cause bleeding but they also cause a lot of pain when moving your bowels. Wear a sanitary napkin so the blood doesn't soak through your clothes.
You can do a fecal occult stool sample test first to see if that shows any blood in your stool before having another colonoscopy. It's done over a three day period and you send the card back to lab to be analyzed for blood in your stools. It kinda gross test to do but easier than doing the prep for the colonoscopy. I hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
(female)

loren77 HB User

Thanks for the replies! Yes a rectal exam was done, the doctor said he felt no hemmeroids and didn't see any tears. The blood will come for a few weeks, then completely go away and come back without warning, I find it weird. The other night I was awoken in the middle of the night with severe burning (possibly from ulcers?) frequent runs to the washroom and fever. I hope I never experience that kind of pain again.

Could the colonoscopy from November have irritated something causing bleeding now? Seems like an awfully long time for that to be the case.

Closed Thread