Originally Posted by Ashleyc
I am a 28 year old female who is diabetic, for 2 years now I have had severe problems with my stomach, I have had a hard time making bowel movements for a long time and can only go when using Amitza, Colace, Milk Of Magnesia and or Heavy Laxatives, I try to stay away from the laxatives, and also Enemas.
There are times when none of the above work, but it seems I can gain up to 3-5 pounds a day, if I don't eat anything sometimes I gain anyways, but no bowel movements, My upper stomach swells up beyond belief with terrible pain and it makes the middle of my back hurt, it causes severe nausea and it becomes hard to move, very uncomfortable.
I finally have an appointment to see a gastro the end of the month, but I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows what it could be so I maybe have a heads up. I am worried about cancer since it runs rampant in my family.
You're very constipated that's why you're gaining 3-5 lbs. without even eating. How long do you go without having a bowel movement ? To me,it sounds like a week or more !
I have had constipation problems all my life so I can understand and feel for you,the kind of pain you must be in ! I can tell you what I have learned over the past year about preventing constipation:
1. Increase your daily water intake to 64 oz. a day or more.
2. Slowly increase your dietary fiber intake to 25-35 grams a day over a two week period. If you do this too fast it can cause excess gas but it can make the constipation worse especially if you don't drink enough water.
3. Take Citrucell in the morning at breakfast and then again at dinner time. Make sure you drink 1 8 oz. glass of water before taking the Citrucell and another 8 oz. glass of water after taking it. I found it works better and you're less apt to cause excess gas and possibly constipate you if you haven't drank enough water throughout the day.
4. Make it daily routine to sit on the toilet at the same time to have a bowel movement. I allow up to 30 minutes everyday to do this even before I get into the shower in the morning(yes,even on the weekend) or eat my breakfast. If I don't move my bowels before my shower or eat my breakfast, then I try about 20-30 minutes after I finish eating my breakfast. I can tell you from personal experience this routine everyday of sitting on the toilet and making sure I move my bowels at least once a day keeps me from getting constipated. It's also vitally important to drink your water and get enough fiber in your diet as this helps keep your bowel movements soft but firm enough that they are formed and not diarrhea,as well as helping to maintain regularity.
5. If I do go more than 48 hours without moving my bowels then I use a glycerin suppositories(not ducolax) to help soften the stool inside my rectum so I don't have to strain so hard to move my bowels.
I wish I had learned this years ago and saved myself a lot of pain and agony from not being to move my bowels on a regular basis.