It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

pongo1 HB User
Happy to find this board

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago, I went to the ER with terrible abdominal pain in the lower left side of my abdomen and terrible cramps. Prior to that I had several months of terrible onstipation. I was talking stool softeners, laxatives and when things got really bad I started using Magnesium Citrate. Who wants to go to the ER for constipation ??? I did make an appointment with a GI doctor by that was several weeks away. Finally when I no longer could tolerate the pain, I went to the ER

After lots of poking, blood test and a CT scan, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis with a small encapsulated abscess. My white blood count was elevated and I also had bacteria in my urine. In the ER they were telling me I would need surgery in the morning and I might need a temporary colostomy. I was terrified.

Fortunately I met my surgeon in the morning who said surgery is a last resort and it would be a bad time for surgery with all the inflammation and during an acute attack. I was discharged six days ago and I can finally eat again. I may need another ct scan and will have a colonoscopy in a few weeks.

I have read some people mentioned with an abscess surgery is needed. Anyone out there who had an abscess, I would love to her from you. Did u need surgery immediately or did the dr wait for additional attacks?
Also was anyone told after a colonoscopy that they needed surgery due to what they saw from the colonoscopy?

Happy to find people with same issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Happy to find this board

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your troubles with diverticulitis. My DH was bothered for years with pains on the lower left side, he never really complained just would say it felt at times like someone had punched him there. When it got worse and worse, I took him to the ER and subsequent CT scan revealed diverticulitis, which was confirmed by colonoscopy. He was sent home with heavy duty antibiotics and follow up with his GI doc. A year later, he started having the same problems except he did not tell me about it, finally he couldn't take it any longer and we again went to ER - this time the CT revealed he had a perforated colon! He spent 17 days in the hospital; constant Flagyl and Cipro through IV and morphine drip for horrid pains! I blame myself for this, as I should have been watching him more carefully, was working long hours on swing shift at the time... We found him a brilliant surgeon, who advised taking 2 months to heal up and get healthy with a low fat, high fiber diet, lots of water, then a colon resection, done laparascopically in just over 2 hours, 1 1/2 feet of colon removed. That was 5 years ago, he's been good ever since but has totally changed his diet and health habits for the better!

Hope you feel better and let us know how you're doing.

Closed Thread

Tags
abscess, colon resection, diverticulitis