It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
(male)

vvktselili HB User
Hard irregular stool at the beginning then soft; need your kind advice and suggestion

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure in Oct 2009. My doctor prescribed me

GLUCOPHAGE (metformin) 2*500mg, twice a day; JANUVIA (sitagliptin) 100mg/day; AMARYL (Glimepiride) 2mg/day for diabetes
and for blood pressure MICARDIS 40mg

As soon as I started taking the medicine, I have been experiencing difficulty in bowel movement, which I have never experienced before. I am pretty sure that it is not simply coincidence, should be caused by medication. I have hard pebbled stool. need strain and extra pressure to pass. always cause me pain.

I have now handle well my blood glucose level now, and stopped most medicine since September 2010. I NOW only takes GLUCOPHAGE 2*500mg ONCE a day; and 20mg MICARDIS. I believe that the BM problem will go after stopping the medicine; however, the problem is still there.

Everyday I have taken enough water, regular balanced meal with enough fiber and fruit. I have approx 30min mild exercise a day.

I have BM everyday. However, everyday when i start stool the first bit is always hard. with close examination, it is in irregular shape, formed with many very small pellet like and hardish, lump together to form a bigger one. This first bit is very difficult to pass and often cause me pain. and then after 5-10 mins I will pass very soft stool. I am now taking Metmucil once a day; but it does not help to soft the beginning hard bit problem.

I went to see doctor but very disappointed. he just asked me to drink more water.

do anyone know what exactly is my problem?
i don't want to use lax, i would like to solve the problem in long term.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Hard irregular stool at the beginning then soft; need your kind advice and sugges

Hi,
Try Figs or prunes. Taken regular both work well.
I had similar problems with IBS and this sorted me out.
Fibre is good but too much can cause constipation. Drink plenty of fluids.

Solofelix.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
(male)

vvktselili HB User
Re: Hard irregular stool at the beginning then soft; need your kind advice and sugges

thanks but i tried it before it does not work.
i would also like to know the reason of this phenonenon

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvktselili View Post
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure in Oct 2009. My doctor prescribed me

GLUCOPHAGE (metformin) 2*500mg, twice a day; JANUVIA (sitagliptin) 100mg/day; AMARYL (Glimepiride) 2mg/day for diabetes
and for blood pressure MICARDIS 40mg

As soon as I started taking the medicine, I have been experiencing difficulty in bowel movement, which I have never experienced before. I am pretty sure that it is not simply coincidence, should be caused by medication. I have hard pebbled stool. need strain and extra pressure to pass. always cause me pain.

I have now handle well my blood glucose level now, and stopped most medicine since September 2010. I NOW only takes GLUCOPHAGE 2*500mg ONCE a day; and 20mg MICARDIS. I believe that the BM problem will go after stopping the medicine; however, the problem is still there.

Everyday I have taken enough water, regular balanced meal with enough fiber and fruit. I have approx 30min mild exercise a day.

I have BM everyday. However, everyday when i start stool the first bit is always hard. with close examination, it is in irregular shape, formed with many very small pellet like and hardish, lump together to form a bigger one. This first bit is very difficult to pass and often cause me pain. and then after 5-10 mins I will pass very soft stool. I am now taking Metmucil once a day; but it does not help to soft the beginning hard bit problem.

I went to see doctor but very disappointed. he just asked me to drink more water.

do anyone know what exactly is my problem?
i don't want to use lax, i would like to solve the problem in long term.
Your medication could still be causing the hard stools. When you take the Metamucil try drinking 1 8 oz. glass of water before taking the Metamucil and then another 8 oz. glass of water after taking it. You may need to take the metamucil in the morning and then again at night.
Because I have had to deal with chronic constipation problems all of my life,one of the things I have had to incorporate in my daily routine is to make time everyday to sit on the toilet to move my bowels. I do this at the same time everyday and allow a 30 minute time slot just to do this. I do slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have had a bowel movement. I relaxes all my muscles making it easier and pain free to move my bowels. I don't strain or force the stool out. I also drink 6oz. of warmed prune juice in the microwave in the morning with my breakfast. I eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday with ground flax seed added to it. All these things help to keep your stool soft enough to pass easily but yet it is formed and helps maintain regularity. I have to do all these things everyday just to be able to keeps my bowels moving on a regular basis. I hope this will help you to maintain regularity.
f

Closed Thread