It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
(male)

longboarder78 HB User
Living with a Seton Drain for a Fistula

Hi there
I'm a new member here and would really apprecieate some advice regarding fistulas and Setons!
A bit of background info to begin with - I'm a 34 year old British guy, fit healthy and pretty outgoing.
Following a months extreme discomfort I was recently diagnosed with an abcess in the 6 o'clock position on my anus, having visited both my GP (several times) and now also a colorectal surgeon I am scheduled for surgery to have the abcess laid open and drained. The CR Surgeon however, after some 'investigating' believes that the abcess has become a fistula, and I am now also finding fecal matter in the discharge too so not good news really (sorry about being graphic but I guess we are all in a similar boat here - no shame!!).
So far the pain has been OK. Not great by any stretch but OK and I can deal with it. I also understand that the surgery is a necessary evil in trying to get this to heal so I am approaching it with an open mind in regards to healing and recovery - looking at the long term pictuer and all that!
What concerns me is that on my last visit to schedule the surgery the CR surgeron said he would more than likely want to put a seton in the fistula to aid draining as it's quite a 'high' one or so he thinks. this could be in there for a year or more depending on how it responds.
I know what these are following research on the web but I am concerned as to how much having one put in will impact on my lifestyle.
Normally I run, bike, swim, surf, do yoga, go to the gym and lead a very active lifestyle.
Does anyone have any experience in how a seton can affect your day to day lifestyle and in particular exercise?
I worry that I am going to be constantly aware of this thing hanging out my *** and that I won't be able to do the sports that I love. As someone who loves exercise and keeping fit the prospect is quite daunting. Will I still be able to go in the sea? Can you run with one in? I've also read a lot of variation in the size of setons, some are described as a thread while others seem to be a lot thicker, almost like a wire or cable tie, I'm assuming the thickness of the seton is going to affect how much you feel it too?
Any advice on these matters would be much apprecieated as the doctors are being predictably non-commital!
Are they any other guys out there who have gone through this?
Thanks for reading,
James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread